1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BtS] Rise of Mankind 2

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by zappara, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Sindri Pink

Sindri Pink Chieftain

Sorry to ask again, but I still can't get the megapack to work. The music starts playing, but the game crashes before the intro screen shows. I get the same message every time:

"AppName: civ4beyondsword.exe AppVer: 3.1.9.0 ModName: kernel32.dll
    ModVer: 5.1.2600.5781 Offset: 00012afb"

I'm thinking its a memory problem since I only have 1gb ram, would you say that's a correct assumption or have I just managed to get something wrong?

2. os79

os79 Deity

Bingo! 2GB RAM is generally recommended to run civpack. I personally prefer 3GB RAM, then use 3GB switch in your Windows bootini (XP) or bcdedit (Vista) or bcdedit.exe (7).

3. Sindri Pink

Sindri Pink Chieftain

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I'll have to wait until I buy a new computer then, which luckily probably is in just a few weeks time. Think I'm gonna get 6GB RAM, just to be on the safe side :D.

4. os79

os79 Deity

Then be sure to get 64 bit obviously.
    And forget that switch thing. It is only for 32 bit users. 64 bit already do that automatically for you.

5. RobO

RobO King

I have Vista, but I have no clue what or where bcdedit is. Could you please explain a little more what this change does, how to apply it and whether it may have any side effects.

6. os79

os79 Deity

Use this instructions at your risk...

It may help with how the RoM is handled by Vista. Supposedly, it let the computer use more memory than just 2GB because of the kernel thingy in the Windows is using 1 GB.

First off, only use this if you have 3gb or better RAM and if you are using 32-bit Windows.

1. Find the Command Prompt in your Start menu/Accesssories.
    2. Right-click it and run it as an administrator
    3. Now type in this:
      bcdedit/set increaseuserva 3072
    4. Restart

See if it does anything better for you. Remember I said to do it at your risk. It really is better if you understand this link before you test it out :).

7. RobO

RobO King

I have a healthy respect for fixes like this one.
    You didn't describe how to reset it.

8. os79

os79 Deity

Google led me to this webpage. It describes how to set it back to the default.

9. Teo265

Teo265 Chieftain

I have huge problems with the newest mega version of this mod:
    About 1/4 of the new leaders doesn't work, even reinstalling the game doesn't help, this is what i did:

1. Install the Complete version Civ 4
    2. Update the Beyond the Sword
    3. Install the mod

AND STILL THOSE LEADERS DOESN'T WORK!:mad:

10. Chairman Mao

Chairman Mao Chieftain

I have this same problem, has anyone else encountered this?

11. The Turk

The Turk Deity

I'm a bit confused, everyone keeps talking about a new mega version for v.2.8, but I don't know where it is, can anybody please direct me to the link for this mega version:)

12. dcmort93

dcmort93 The Stig

13. lukey52

lukey52 Chieftain

First of all, just wanted to say, great work with the mod. Been playing it for ages. Anyway I took a break of a couple of months from civ and I've come back to find there was an update for bts. So I downloaded that and obviously had to update RoM also. I got the Mega Pack and updated it to 2.81. I don't have any issues actually running it but the speed is a huge problem now...

In older RoM versions I was playing Huge maps with 20+ civs and the entire map shown and it still would take 5-10 secs a turn max. With this new version I am only able to handle 4 civs on a small map and even then after an hour or so of playing as civs break away etc I find turns start to take 10-20 seconds and I've given up playing longer but I can only guess it shows down even more.

I've lowered the settings of civ to the lowest but it still takes ages to pass a turn. I have 4 gigs of RAM so I don't think thats a problem. I hope someone has a solution for this as I really can't stand the wait between each turn.

14. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Wow :) there must be a generational issue here somewhere as I think anything less than 30 seconds is fast :).

Having said that, there is an expansion to RoM called A New Dawn which improves turn speeds significantly. Unfortunately some of the extra content appears not to be optional but most is. You just select those bits you want and deselect the rest. Some of the content needs to be turned off in the Custom game screen.

15. Sindri Pink

Sindri Pink Chieftain

Just have a book or magazine or something by the computer, that way you can always have something to pick up and read while you wait. No more time wasted on waiting :goodjob:

16. WRobN

WRobN Chieftain

I run Civ4 at lowest settings 1024x768 static leaderheads, single unit, etc.

I dont have a big pc (P-IV 1,7 Ghz 512 Mb RAM)

I never had perfomance issues at these settings (maybe because i tweaked my system to its max)

But when i play this game the loading screen stops loading somewhere before 10%.
    I also play the FfH2 mod wich also is a heavy mod but never ever had problems.

Why does this mod freezes?

I must say i didnt test tiny maps because i always like to play on huge.
    If i cant run this mod on huge i will stop playing it.

Is there any possible fix/solution for this so im still abled to run it on huge?

I have all latest versions.

17. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Which map were you using? If its name did not start with RoM_ then that may be the problem. Otherwise loading of RoM can be slow having all those modmods slows down the load but have little or no effect on game speed. Maybe you just need to wait longer. I would suggest you look into increasing your memory, that should speed everything up, not just Civ.

18. LoneTraveller

LoneTraveller Warlord

Hi I love this MOD !

But I'm having difficulty with the 2.8 version. I have downloaded the 2.8 mega from a torrent and got the patch from here (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13756). When I start up the MOD I don't get to the loading screen displaying which part of the game is being loaded before it crashes (like python, xml, etc).

I cannot get the window that states that the game crashes and where I can select how to create a dump file cause it doesnt show up even after waiting 20 minutes for it using alt-tab.

I have looked a few pages back on this thread but all I saw were ppl who had problems with Vista.

Someone please help me

Thanks for your time.

PS : My pc is adequate for this mod :

- Win XP
    - 4gig RAM (although XP sees only 3)
    - 512 MB DDR3 9800gtx+ Nvidia card
    - Intel duo 2.16 Ghz.
    - 100$ sound card (bought a year ago) I think it's a Fatality card from Creative.
    - something like 500gig of HD space (all drives are 7200 rpm)

19. FinchJ

FinchJ Chieftain

Zapp,

This Mod is the only reason I have reformatted my computer and am installing Civ4 again!

The game is much more enjoyable with a mod such as this, and I thank you.

Finland is one awesome country if I may say so myself. My girlfriend is from there and I'll be visiting her again in July :D (the only time of year it is warm enough for a Floridian such as myself)

20. dR4G0n

dR4G0n Chieftain

Can I play this mod on a planetary map with fixed starting locations? If it is possible, can someone tell me how to do it? (nabby me)
    Thanks