1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BtS] Rise of Mankind 2

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by zappara, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Axil

Axil Prince

No I thought that initially but it won't come up as an option even in a city I've just founded

2. gael

gael Ard Ri

This happens to me too, everytime. Not much point starting a game now when I know it's going to happen like clockwork. It's a pity, because it's a great mod and I'd like to keep playing it.

3. HaloTru7h

HaloTru7h Chieftain

Exact same way I feel. I really don't think I could go back to playing the regular Civ4 without Revolution, DCM, and alot of the new units this mod brings.

:[

4. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

I think the problem is that in the late game you are stuck with too many civilizations. Each civilization requires it's own statistics, relations, status, cities, units and history. Also, the AI tends to cling to units it once created. Instead of ditching them the AI rarely updates or deletes them. I just fought against Guard Dogs i.e., with my Heavy Tank.

The key might also lie in sanitising the code. When I read the logs I see quite some errors that are caused by linking to wrong xml strings or file names. Ironing those out might help too, albeit in a lesser extent than ironing out AI cluttering.

5. HaloTru7h

HaloTru7h Chieftain

The first one isn't it, since the crash still happens a few turns into a new game. But the crash is dependant on something in the Industrial-Modern eras.

Your latter suggestion will be the best possible way to find it, either that or someone here (gael?) posts the data from the windows crash report. I could do it sometime in the future since I'm not currently on my computer that has Civ4. The data might help us find the exact problem.

This crash does though pretty much render the mod unplayable. Me, Gael, and Hyronymus?? are the ones experiencing it, and I have to assume there's alot more. If you are experiencing this late-game crash, please tell us.

So what we have is,
    1. Some late game trigger
    2. Crash never happened in the 3.13 version?

That tells me that, if Rise of Mankind was a direct port to 3.17, and so was REVDCM+BUG, then the problem would lie in the src/C++/python files.

So, what I'm wondering is:
    1. Can someone test if the crash still occurs WITHOUT the REVDCM+BUG addon?
    2. Test if the crash occurs with the REVDCM+BUG addon, but NOT with the Patch 1.1.

This will help narrow things down. Since this appears to be the first report of the crash? It could be something with the 1.1 patch.

6. Red Boxer

Red Boxer Prince

I'll throw my name in the hat of the late game crash.

7. RobO

RobO King

8. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

RobO, try deletingthe / before url at the start ;).

Generally, I'm inclined to think that revolutions appear too often. It's definetly a nice feature but overpowered, especially if you play long games. Another "bug" is that if the Holy Roman Empire gets killed i.e. and it returns later (as a result of yet another revolution) it automatically reclaims the culture it had before. Even if the new Holy Roman Empire spawned at the other side of the globe. I would suggest to "emtpy" all culture ratings belonging to a civilization when it gets killed.

9. truetom

truetom Warlord

Well, I'm still in the Middle Age and had one CTD. Loaded my last game and it played on fine for 3 hours, no error.

I play huge map, started with 10 Civs but got to almost 20 by now, they keep springing up from barbarian states. Is there a way to limit the total number of civs in the game? Even if you start on huge map with 3 civs there's gonna be a lot of empty space (fow) where barbs will keep springing up their states.

10. alireza1354

alireza1354 Emperor

Long live revolutions!

In history, there was a revolution or other form of political instability every single DAY.

So keep it as it is, like it very much! Yes its overpowered, just like it is in real life.

11. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

I think there should be an option to change it. That way everyone can enjoy this mod the way he/she likes it. Don't you think so?

Besides: every day is an exaggeration. Thank God that wasn't the case.

12. Alphacodex

Alphacodex Chieftain

There is a bug / unlogic when you discover the bomber-unit. The bomber replaces the IL-2, which could be loaded onto a diesel-carrier - however the bomber can't. So as soon as you discover the bomber-unit you cannot build ANY bomber units that can be loaded onto a carrier.

Greetz
    Codex

13. RobO

RobO King

Revolution.ini in the mod directory has some options you can play with. There is little documentation of their effects, however. And IIRC you can turn Revolutions off when you set up a Custom game.

14. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

Ah, I must take a peek there then. I might actually choose not to play with it because I find it "too overwhelming" as it is.

That's not unlogic. How many bombers do you know that can land on carriers in general?

EDIT:
    You can specify the amount of civs in revolution.ini: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7085504&postcount=324

15. truetom

truetom Warlord

Great find, Hyronymus. :) Will the limited MaxCivs work in loaded games or just on the new ones?

TT

16. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

Let me ask :).

17. qASER

qASER Chieftain

Hello! This may be a newb question, but is there a earth map that I could download for this mod with at least 20+ civs? I have tried several, but always crashes...

18. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

Sounds more like you are looking for an Earth map that doesn't crash, right? Perhaps you could give us more details about the nature of the crashes?

19. Alphacodex

Alphacodex Chieftain

It's unlogic because you already have a bomber unit that actually CAN be loaded on the carriers before you invent the bomber - namely the IL2. However as your technolgy advances you dont have any loadable bomber anymore?? So either remove the loadable attribute from the IL2 and/or add some special naval bomber that can be loaded onto carriers - otherwise they make no sense...

Greetz
    Codex

20. alireza1354

alireza1354 Emperor

No it isnt an exaggeration, read what I wrote.

In history, there was a revolution or other form of political instability every single DAY.

That is a fact