BtS techtree write-up

GeoModder

Deity
Well, here it finally is. ;)

There's some big holes in it like no units, civics and some other stuff, but it has about all reasonable facilities, improvements and wonders/projects (both national and global).
O yes, and I didn't wrote down the links from one tech to another here, but hopefully the context gives you a hint. I did draw up links on my paper sheet here at home though.

Preliminary tech tree for a Moonmod, BtS expansion

X1:
  • COMPOSITES:
  • FIBER OPTICS:
  • ECOLOGY: Mushroom Cave (+1 :food:)
  • GENETICS:
  • ROBOTICS:
X2:
  • LOW-G ENGINEERING: Maintenance Bay (double healing rate for non-infantry units, units promote here)
  • LUNAR NETWORKS: Network Core/Junction (+2 :science:)
  • LUNAR BACTERIOLOGY: Recycling Center?
  • PHYSIOLOGY STUDIES: Sick Bay (double healing rate for infantry units)
  • LUNAR MINING: Can construct mines
X3:
  • LUNAR INDUSTRY: Assembly Hall (+50% construction rate)
  • FUSION POWER: Tokamak Reaktor (+50% power? needs He³)
  • COLONIAL ETHICS: enables resource trading
  • LOW-G CONSTRUCTION: Environmental Plant (less upkeep)
  • LOW-G MEDICINES: Medical Research Lab facility?
X4:
  • LOW-G TACTICS: Training Grounds (+2 xp for newly trained units, units upgrade here)
  • CHARTRA SELENE: Lunar Council (wonder)
  • SELEPONICS (Hydroponics): Glasshouse improvement, needs waterice. Fishery Tanks facility, also needs waterice.
  • TELEMETRIC OPERATIONS: Mines can increase output or +1 mines
  • POWER ECONOMICS: enables power trading
  • ORBITAL RECONNAISANCE: Satellite Control (with Lunar Industry)
X5:
  • BIO-ENGINEERING: Surface Park Wonder (+2 :) in every base), needs Tungsten. Chicken Tubes (+1 :food: ), needs Mushroom Cave
  • VACUUM LOGISTICS: Eagle unit, enables "irrigation" for glasshouses further out from the base or from a waterice resource
  • LUNAR CORPORATIONS: enables corporation founding
  • ORBITAL CONSTRUCTION: Orbital Yard national wonder (doubles constructionrate of space-based stuff)
X6:
  • GENE-MANIPULATION: Longevity Project
  • MICROFUSION: starprobes, Colony on other planets/moons in Sol possible
  • LAGRANGE: PlanetViewer Project, Lagrange Colony

Facilities in a nutshell:
Sick Bay
Mushroom Cave
Assembly Hall
Network Core/Junction
Maintenance Bay
Training Grounds
Chicken Tubes
Fishery Tank
Surface Park
Transport Hub
Environmental Plant
Recycling Center?
Physics Lab?
Satellite Control

Improvements in a nutshell:
Astronomy Institute
Linear Accelerator
Glasshouse
Mine
Extractor
Solar Plant
Lunar Bunker
Track (road)
Monorail/maglev line (railway)

National Wonders/Projects:
Electromagnetic launcher (for constructing intra-lunar stuff double as fast, and enables orbital unitdrops everywhere)
Research Coordination Center (+100% research output)
Orbital Yard (for constructing extra-lunar stuff double as fast)
Tokamak Reactor (+ power for all assembly halls)

Wonders:
Surface Park (+2 :) in every base)
Lunar Council (gives satellite view to the Council's chairman from every base that has one from whatever faction)
Longevity Project (like in SMAC)
PlanetViewer Project (gives data on extrasolar systems)
Satellite Hack (workname, gives the owner satellite data like the Council's Chairman has)

Suggestions are welcome.

I like all of techs Geo. It looks like a good start. The units will fill themselves in once we decide what we want on the Moon.

I guess I'm unsure about the length of this mod and how many eras we intend. Is this the first era, the entire tree? Can we throw in some other tiers when the need arises? I like the idea of having offshoots between tiers. So we could have some between X2 and X3 that aren't prereqs for X3, but could come in handy. Same for later tiers as well.

Do you want to do the XML on this or do you want me to?

Plz wait with any xml coding. :please:
I have been hard at work on the BtS XML editor spreadsheet trying to get it done by the end of this week.

Plz wait with any xml coding. :please:
I have been hard at work on the BtS XML editor spreadsheet trying to get it done by the end of this week.

Okay. :)
I'll try my hand at modulating the Ethnic Artstyles mod then. Can use the exercize.

I like all of techs Geo. It looks like a good start. The units will fill themselves in once we decide what we want on the Moon.

Yeah, I don't see a problem in this department.

I guess I'm unsure about the length of this mod and how many eras we intend. Is this the first era, the entire tree? Can we throw in some other tiers when the need arises? I like the idea of having offshoots between tiers. So we could have some between X2 and X3 that aren't prereqs for X3, but could come in handy. Same for later tiers as well.

Should have indicated so. The techtree sofar goes to the end of the second era/begin of the third era with the tier 6 techs.
I went as far as when humanity on the Moon is back on its feet and can think of expanding beyond its little world again. And as on offshoots (dead-end techs?), I think we'll need some more. As it looks now the techtree is a bit too "narrow" with on average 5 techs/tier, so an extra one every few tiers would do good.

Do you want to do the XML on this or do you want me to?

Well, Matthewv made his request. :D

Good by me. How does Geo's stuff look to you matt?

Generally speaking I think we can all agree to tech tree needs some more techs to make it wider. I would like to see the tech tree with all the and and or prereqs drawn in before I make any comments on the techs themselves.

I'll try to make a graphic representation, with techs linked, coming weekend.

I'm thinking now about buttons and what sort of pattern or style we want to use. I like the AoI style of rendered shots on a white background and I love the SMAC-style for techs. Any thoughts? Do we want to make them ourselves or use net art?

The AoI style looks a bit... simple... to me. (at least if you meant the unit buttons in that WWII mod of BtS?
The SMAC-mod is already going for the logo-style, do we want this mod to look like a clone in this aspect?

Personally, I think there's already alot of buttons outthere. Granted not enough to cover it all and definitely in the unit department there's close to nothing.

That's why I'm opening it up for discussion. ;)

I'd like a consistent theme, but I don't care what that theme is.

That's why I'm opening it up for discussion. ;)

I'd like a consistent theme, but I don't care what that theme is.

I agree, I have an idea of what we might use for a theme but I am far to busy to draw it up atm.

Well, here is a pic of how I see the first era and the onset of the second era...
Note that some changes are made since the write-up earlier this week. ;)
After some domestic tasks I plan to make a similar pic for the second era.

Attachments

• SotM settlement era techs.jpg
    SotM settlement era techs.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 269
I'm all for it so far Geo. It'll be easier to test it out and make changes (if necessary) then to tinker too much.

Now I'll patiently wait on matthewv's program. :)

I'm all for it so far Geo. It'll be easier to test it out and make changes (if necessary) then to tinker too much.

Wow, and I didn't even put the facilities, improvements, units, resources, civics,... on it. ;)

Now I'll patiently wait on matthewv's program. :)

Yeah, let's see if he can deliver. :D

Btw, how's the private forum stuff coming up?

Wow, and I didn't even put the facilities, improvements, units, resources, civics,... on it. ;)

Yeah, but you had some listed above.

Btw, how's the private forum stuff coming up?

I haven't heard from TF in a week or so about a few of my PMs. I'll try him again tomorrow. I had to pester...sort of.

Almost finished. l would have had it done yesterday but I spent all night dealing with sound card issues that still aren't fixed.:sad:

You can personally roast me alive and rake hot coals over me if I don't have it done by tomorrow night.(remember I live in GMT -7 time zone.);)

Edit:
About the tech tree:
-Are there no or links?
-Fusion requiring fiber optics doesn't make sense to me.(though looking at the current other techs, nothing seems to be an obvious prereq.(except maybe superconductors))
-Genetics should require low-G biology instead of superconductors.

Further comments to come when we get to playtest it.

Almost finished. l would have had it done yesterday but I spent all night dealing with sound card issues that still aren't fixed.:sad:

Sorry to hear that. I hope you solved it?

You can personally roast me alive and rake hot coals over me if I don't have it done by tomorrow night.(remember I live in GMT -7 time zone.);)

No problem, I always wanted to see the Rockies during Summer. :D

Edit:
About the tech tree:
-Are there no or links?
-Fusion requiring fiber optics doesn't make sense to me.(though looking at the current other techs, nothing seems to be an obvious prereq.(except maybe superconductors))
-Genetics should require low-G biology instead of superconductors.

Further comments to come when we get to playtest it.

"OR" links are by definition depicted through the arrows. It's the "requires" notes that depict "AND" stuff in Civ4, remember?
Well, the first 2 techtiers are mostly from Civ4, so you can complain at them. ;) Check your F6-screen in a game, Firaxis used the prereqs I used. This said, I agree with you and was thinking of using Superconductors as a requirement for Fusion.
On Genetics, again it is straight from the Civ4 techtree. I thought it was valid since genes (in laboratories) need to be stored at low temperatures and superconductors are a good tool for that? And yes, Low-G Biology can be an "AND" requirement for Genetics too.

Top Bottom