[BTS] The Island of Cuba for Verietas Delectat

He may have meant Vanilla Civ4 (without BtS) in which case the answer would be no, it requires the Beyond the Sword expansion.

Citizens were restricted under Marti? I think you mean Batista, the Dictator who came before Fidel.

As to Castro's favorite civic, it's up in the air. Certainly from an economical perspective, State Property could work, but Environmentalism may not be a bad choice either, since Cuba is mainly an agricultural state. For the more social aspect, either Police State or Nationhood could work, but Police State in Civ4 is a somewhat limited definition.

In the first case, Police State does not mean the same as Dictatorship. A Police State is one under martial law, which often suspends Civil Liberties, but it is not necessarily a state without a republican government, or a lifelong dictator. Democracies can become police states during times of War. In terms of a lifelong, absolute dictator, the player is always one in Civ4, no matter what Civic he employs. With that in mind, the Police State Civic in Civ4 is more in line with Martial Law employed during wartime, considering what effects it gives. Representing a totalitarian government is more convenient through a combination of Civics, such as Slavery, Theocracy and Nationhood, but Despotism and Hereditary Rule can accomodate a tyrant just as much as Police State does.

As to Cuban citizens being forbidden from staying in Cuban hotels, that is a misinterpretation of the truth. Cuba has two types of hotels, the type intended to serve its own citizens, and the type intended to serve foreigners from wealthier economies, helping to bring money into Cuba. These resort hotels may be barred from normal Cubans, but even if they weren't, normal Cubans could not afford them, because they are priced with foreign, Industrialized economies in mind. This is not a stupid law, it is a clever way to help bring money into a country, very good money by Cuban standards, and has helped Cuba to recover from the economic crash following the USSR's collapse. Its economy is still weak, but the tourist sector is helping to change that.

Edit: Not working on my VD. What is wrong? The mod has modular loading by default, but something's amiss.

It crashed in my game :(

sorry to hear that....

i'm not the best with XML stuff, but just make sure the "cuba" folder is IN \Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Varietas Delectat\Assets\Modules....

i have not played a full game with it, but tested all the units/LHs/building in worldbuilder without a problem....

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A PROBLEM?????

I found the problem. For some reason you decided everything must be loaded from the modules folder. The standard is the Modules/Custom Civilizations.

I found the problem. For some reason you decided everything must be loaded from the modules folder. The standard is the Modules/Custom Civilizations.

yeah, i created it based on/mirroring Avain's Hungary mod for VD....

I have gotten this to work, but it always crashes when Cuba enters the industrial era. Hopefully that helps.

I have gotten this to work, but it always crashes when Cuba enters the industrial era. Hopefully that helps.

ok.... :confused: i'll check that out...

Check the Unit ArtStyles. There is an error with the Musketman entry in regards to the "LateArtDefineTag". It has an extra "_" at the end.

See the code below. I've bolded the error.

Code:
                <StyleUnit>
                    <UnitType>UNIT_MUSKETMAN</UnitType>
                    <UnitMeshGroup>
                        <EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_MUSKETMAN_CUBAN</EarlyArtDefineTag>
                        <LateArtDefineTag>[B]ART_DEF_UNIT_MUSKETMAN_CUBAN_[/B]</LateArtDefineTag>
                        <MiddleArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_MUSKETMAN_CUBAN</MiddleArtDefineTag>
                    </UnitMeshGroup>
                </StyleUnit>
Hope that helps a little.

Check the Unit ArtStyles. There is an error with the Musketman entry in regards to the "LateArtDefineTag". It has an extra "_" at the end.

See the code below. I've bolded the error.

Code:
                <StyleUnit>
                    <UnitType>UNIT_MUSKETMAN</UnitType>
                    <UnitMeshGroup>
                        <EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_MUSKETMAN_CUBAN</EarlyArtDefineTag>
                        <LateArtDefineTag>[B]ART_DEF_UNIT_MUSKETMAN_CUBAN_[/B]</LateArtDefineTag>
                        <MiddleArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_MUSKETMAN_CUBAN</MiddleArtDefineTag>
                    </UnitMeshGroup>
                </StyleUnit>
Hope that helps a little.

Holy Cow! i dont think i would have ever found that!....

so far, i have changed a couple of buttons (THANKS to DWOLF), buffed up the stats on the Tropicana (THANKS Impaler) and now i will fix this...still gonna do a little more testing before i release V2 with fixes, but want to thank those that have contributed...:) :goodjob: :)

Holy Cow! i dont think i would have ever found that!....
I only found it when doing a complete double check of ALL the civ's Unit Art Styles against the Unit Art Defs in my modpack, a somewhat time consuming task that I'm glad I did. :crazyeye:

I only found it when doing a complete double check of ALL the civ's Unit Art Styles against the Unit Art Defs in my modpack, a somewhat time consuming task that I'm glad I did. :crazyeye:

it seems that is what was causing the crash....i will post an update very soon, thanks again :)

ok, the patch is UP...

refer to TOP OF THREAD for download and details....

Top Bottom