1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BtS] Wolfshanze's Revolution

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by phungus420, Sep 26, 2008.

1. GatlingGun

GatlingGun Warlord

Hi Ninja,

Your comments about the differences in air combat between wolfrev and betterai got me thinking... unfortunately, I am at work and don't have a civ dvd to try it... but one thing I noticed about wolfrev's additional naval units is that these get bonuses against older generations of ships in wolfrev... so the question in my mind is whether the same happens for air combat in wolfrev... I will check it out tonight when I get home unless someone calls out the answer sooner... I'm betting they probably don't right now.

[responding to an earlier comment about early fighters taking out jets]
    I usually don't have a problem with jets vs early aircraft; however, I almost always promote my fighters to intercept 1 and 2... and I send them in first to shoot down the AI's early fighters that might be patrolling... this is a short term workaround for the issue... but I think the long term answer is probably adding bonuses vs older aircraft generations. I prefer betterai's approach to air combat, and perhaps bonuses would fix some of these nagging issues.

Thanks for the suggestion about the logistics mod above... I have some ideas to minimize micromanagement, but I'll have to talk to other people who have done the work before me.

2. MaximForever

MaximForever Chieftain

Ic, will do, dl'ing now, will edit post when i have more information, thanks again for the info.

Cheers mate, that solved the issue, it of course never dawned on me that it would be the actual game updater, i appreciate the information in this endeavor, you were of great help, i hope you continue the great work.

On a side note, don't you and ninja basically have, (i mean no offense to either mods) the same mod, except for a few differences here and there, i was simply wondering why you two wouldn't simply work together, 2 minds are better than one, there is nothing unique or special about being a loner, except that your alone...peace.

3. esemjay

esemjay Prince

Phungus, could you put links to the current BST versons in your signature? That way people don't have to crawl through the posts to see what the most current version is and they can have immediate access to your latest release.

4. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

The latest version of BST is at the bottom of the OP in this thread.

That said I'm working on the next release of BST, and may just open a new thread here in the modpacks section for it, since I'll release WolfRev 1.4 at the same time. WolfRev 1.4 is going to be a straight merge of Wolfshanze 2.85 & RevDCM 1.02, no changes of mine will be included. My revolutions modifications, and unit/tech progression changes will be in BST.

5. achilleszero

achilleszero Emperor

Yo Phungus, compiled several strike fighter models. All are animated and between 1500 and 2000 triangles. Except the MiG 1.44 which the conquests rates at 2300, but being a single unit graphic it is still less of a drag on your computer than most 3 unit graphics.

View attachment 212006

Some of the models you currently have for strike fighters are ok but the F-4's, F-5's, and old Migs should go if your trying for current generation fighters. All the fighters in the zip are current or near future 4.5 & 5th genration fighters except the SU-47Berkut. Its just a russian technology demonstrator and might not ever be a production craft. I just threw it in because it looks cool.

Just found these as well:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=193371
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=199015

The J-10 would be great for Asian civs and the Rafale would be a good "filler" jet. Havent checked them out myself but being that they were made by the Conquests they probably have an insane poly count. So I would have to chisel them down if you want to use them.

6. Ninja2

Ninja2 Great Engineer

I'm not sure how phungus has set up air bonuses. I considered that approach also when changing the mechanics in my mod, but found that what really bothered me was that the biplane fighters would intercept jet powered aircraft (bombers) in the first place. No amount of combat bonus would change that - even if the jets would win, it still caused the original mission to abort. It would be nice if attacking aircraft were able to continue their mission if winning "dogfights" by an overwhelming margin, but my programming skills are not good enough to create that effect. I WAS, however, able to change the interception mechanics, so that's why I took this (easier) apporach.

7. Rome in a Day

Rome in a Day Chieftain

I apologise in advance if this has been covered in the forum already, but I can't seem to find the answer. Is there an earth map that this mod will run on?

8. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

For BST I've included Rhy's 34 Civ Map clean. That's a huge earth map that's compatible. WolfRevolution unfortunately is not compatible with any public maps :(

I'm a little concerned that I've lost save game compatibility when updating to RevDCM 1.02, because I shouldn't have. It seems to be an issue related to the gamecore, but I can't find any bugs. Anyway because it might be buggy, I'm holding off on an official release of 0.7. But I want to make it available for anyone that wants it, as that'll help give it play time and test it. If you find any bugs in this build let me know. This is a zip file, no installer:

http://files.filefront.com/BST07zip/;13653798;/fileinfo.html

9. fenrizt2t

fenrizt2t Chieftain

thanks for the help the other day, is working fine now :) really enjoying it.

10. Prebral

Prebral Chieftain

By the way, I have played a BST game today with Choose religion option checked.
    I shared a continent with Hitler and as soon as he was able to choose a religion, he chose Judaism, although Christianity (which I would expect Germans to pick) was still available.
    I would not mind usually, but is there some randomising (for example picking from two or three favourite religions), or does every Civ have some hardcoded tier of preferable religions? Having Hitler always pick Judaism is a bit silly :)

11. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

@achilleszero
    Thanks for the strike fighter models, will work on adding them in now.

@fenrizt2t
    Glad to hear you got it working, and hope you are enjoying the mod. The whole automatic updater is really a pain. Pretty much everyone that has a problem with mods that are stable is due to the lying automatic updater. Almost all the post in the Tech forums are related to this as well. I wish fireaxis would fix it, or drop it and just tell people to patch manually since it doesn't work.

@Prebral
    The AI picks it's religion based on the order the religions are listed in the XML (Judaism being the first, and thus the first religion the AI will pick). This is intrinsic to Civ4, nothing is changed in BST or WolfRev in that regard. I suppose someone could create a modcomp that created religious prefference weights or even just a simple function that had the AI roll the dice to pick a religion... But that's certainly not a priority of mine, so I wol't be coding it.

Edit: Got Barbarian World Working, it'll be an option in 0.7.1 :)

12. Dimoncheg

Dimoncheg Chieftain

I've tried the 0.7 version, it's cool that now Blue Marble graphics is working! :goodjob: I think some non-critical things could be improved. 1) It will be good to have more ethnic-styled old jet fighters, bombers and helicopters, and for Russia - main battle tank & strike fighter (something like Mongolian tank, not Abrams and not F-16 as fighter.) 2) It's better to raise Air Combat Limit in .xml for the fighters to 100 'cos it's strange when a modern jet can't sink a wooden ship or other weak unit. 3) Build buttons for Attack and Boomer submarines need to be different. 4) How's about intergating in BST A-10 Thunderbolt, Advanced Fighter, Transport Helicopter & Airplane from some other mods? 5) Assault Mech is too strong, maybe it could be a National Unit instead of Special Forces? 6) It's difficult to do, but if replace Aqueduct by Sewer System and Collosseum by Stadium in Modern era... It would be nice.:rolleyes:

13. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Huge Earth 18 civs for Bronze Steam and Tears

Rhye's Huge Earth 18 civ mapscript edited for use with BST mod.

18 civs are included:

India
    Egypt
    Rome
    Russia
    Arabia
    Poland
    China
    Khmer
    Aztec
    Ethiopia
    Korea
    Byzantium
    Celts
    Sumeria
    Native Americans
    Vietnam
    France
    America.

Download here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12259

14. GatlingGun

GatlingGun Warlord

Hi Phungus,

I downloaded BST 0.70, and extracted it into my existing BST folder... I'm including a save where I got an icon size mismatch error... it's hard to know exactly what caused it... I'm including a screenshot of the error message as well. I'm running this on Vista Home Premium in the off chance it makes a difference.

Thoughts?
    \gg

Attached Files:

15. Reme

Reme Chieftain

I am getting errors every time I try to load a scenario, why is this?
    I installed it from the installer.

16. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

Scenarios are mod specific, you can't load a scenario that wasn't made for the mod. When 0.7.1 comes out there will be 4 included scenarios that are BST compatible.

Also ensure that you are patched to 2.17 The autoupdater fails so you need to patch manually from the 2.17 patch you can download from this site.

@GatlingGun
    Thanks for the report. I figured something would creep into 0.7, and I haven't had the time to test it. That's why I released it as a zip and didn't upload it with an installer in the OP. I couldn't be sure of it's stability. I apreciate your willingness to be a guinea pig. I'm going to see if I can isolate that error, and quash it.

Btw, it looks like a bad button warning, but if it's not crashing it can't be that. Do you have any useful information on it? Is it a python exception that appears harmless, or does it crash or what?

17. GatlingGun

GatlingGun Warlord

So far, it only happens when I'm at war... it occurs every so often, and I can just hit OK and it goes away for a while. I'm trying to isolate why, but no progress yet

18. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

I can't replicate it... and really need to sleep now. Let me know if you get any closer to isolating it.

19. achilleszero

achilleszero Emperor

Ughh, may possibly be my fault once again. Dont know if this is actually your problem but I did find 64x63 button, MiddleEast_Pathfinder, in my last batch of buttons. Here is resized button.

View attachment 212123

Going to have to start triple checking my work now.

20. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

Yeah, just found that. Like you though, I'm not sure it's the problem. Probably is, but I can't be certain.

Gatling, I can't replicate the error you're getting so try to use the corrected button above. If you're not sure how to change a button here is quick directions:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8006733&postcount=701

Of course since this is for the middle eastern pathfinder, and not the armored scout, you need to adjust the directions accordingly. Also the string for the pathfinder is ART_DEF_UNIT_FRONTIERSMAN (and for the midle eastern one that you need it should be ART_DEF_UNIT_FRONTIERSMAN_MIDDLE_EAST or something like this)

If the error goes away, then we know it's fixed. I have 0.7.1 ready to go once this is quashed. So definatly want to get this fixed.