bubble, bubble

Live trash can

Warlord
Have any of you ever felt that you have lived in a bubble?

Where your reality seemed to be consistent but turned out to be a local bubble. A construction of dubious social realities. Either in retrospect or when you lived in it?

Bubble bubble toil and trouble.

Yes, many times.

I'm not convinced that there's anyway out of the bubble. Though it may be possible to expand it slightly.

I believe it has different strength different places.

One way to get out of it is to move geographically.

And if you understand it and defeat it, you can dispel it! :)

Then we're talking about different bubbles.

I thought you meant the bubble of perception.

Well, it is how you perceive social realities, I mean. Does that make sense?

As a philospher, I believe there are bubbles of perception also. And they tend to change when you study philosophy :lol:

Have any of you ever felt that you have lived in a bubble?

Where your reality seemed to be consistent but turned out to be a local bubble. A construction of dubious social realities. Either in retrospect or when you lived in it?
I used to have a desktop wallpaper of a black cat looking at a goldfish that lived in a bubble.

I served on a submarine. We were so isolated in our own reality that we practically had our own language by the time you waded through all the idioms that were shorthanded out of common experience.

No one wanted to be 'cupped,' referring to an incident involving an unpopular crew member's bunk and hundreds of paper cups stapled together and filled with old lube oil. To people outside the crew "watch out man, you're looking to get cupped" made no sense at all, but it was our equivalent for "check yourself." "Might get bagged" was someone who probably wouldn't get into trouble on their own, but would go along with a bad plan, and referred back to the time honored tradition of giving a seasick guy who was stuck on watch a clear plastic bag to puke in...to see who else would get dragged into puking even if they weren't particularly seasick to start with. Examples by the hundreds.

So I suspect that everyone has some sort of bubbled existence, but without any genuine forces of isolation the effect is probably limited. At least compared to a submarine crew.

Well, then. Surely the most significant bubble that people live in is their mother tongue.

And if you ever go travelling abroad and get immersed in a foreign culture (this can't happen as much as it used to for English speakers) , it is a huge relief to meet someone from own's linguistic group. You can find yourself greeting a complete stranger like a long-lost relative. Which in a way, they are.

Top Bottom