1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Buddism in my Jewish Empire!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Rellin, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Rellin

Rellin Norrathian Gnome

I have restarted a bunch of games now due to the fact that relgions that I did not found and do not want in my empire keep getting in.

If I am Jewish and one of my cities adopts Buddism before my Judism can spread to that city what exactly are the effects on my city?

What is the best way to keep non-state religions out of my empire?

2. bhsup

bhsup Deity

<nvm>

3. TreeFoot

TreeFoot Chieftain

DOn't sign open borders.
    Best way to spread your own, build roads between cities, build missionaries.
    effects, non that i can tell except the other leader gets a line of sight in your territory, just spread your religion into the city to get rid of any unhappiness.

4. Ethyn

Ethyn Chieftain

You can try to get the theocracy civic which prevents the spread of non state religions.

5. Si_Lurker

Si_Lurker Warlord

- Close borders

- Adopt theocracy ASAP

Gift the cities with different religion to AI, then raze them

Embark on a holy war city razing spree early :).

6. lastchance

lastchance Chieftain

Why don't you want extra religions? More temples + more Shrines = more cash and dominance, plus free religion down the line.

In fact, I'd make a concentrated effort to try to pick up multiple religions to make sure that I had huge amounts of culture benefit.

7. Si_Lurker

Si_Lurker Warlord

Well, by the time you have three to five temples, cathedrals, monasteries, etc... built up and your 2-3 religions spread up across the world it's already 1800's and unless you were playing for cultural victory it's pointless.

Religion is fine, but you need to expend significant resources on missionaries and divert course of science. Theese resources might be depending on map, strategy, etc... useful elsewhere.

8. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Warlord

Or you could just let the religions spread organically/let the other AIs spread religions to you. None of the work, but you still get the multiple monastary and temple benefits.

9. Ruffin

Ruffin Warlord

Been wondering the same thing. Apparently there's no way to get rid of them, but Firaxis may want to consider an Inquisition national wonder in an expansion. Given how much trouble religious pluralism has caused historically, there should be some game ramifications for Buddhist rabbis too. At least until Free Religion comes along.

That, and maybe a Comfy Chair unit to root out the unsuspecting heretics.

10. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

I was thinking an Inquisitor unit would be appropriate, who works like a missionary. That would most likely be moddable, and it also would not step on the toes of Theocracy. If you ask me, there is nothing "Wondrous" about an Inquisition, so I don't think it makes a good wonder. That's almost like saying there should be a "Holocaust" wonder. And yes, I think the "Crusade" from Civ III was a pretty bad idea, too. Of course, an Inquisitor should probably cause unhappiness similar to slavery whenever he is used.

=$= Big J Money =$=

11. Fledgling Death

Fledgling Death Chieftain

I wouldn't expect it ;)

12. kuldiin

kuldiin Warlord

Unfortunatelty that wont happen :(

If Religion had been done properly, and certain religions gave you certain bonuses, Firaxis would require 24/7 protection from all the Fatwas, Jihads and Holy Crusades launched against them.

Maybe Civ4 will get its own 'hot coffee' mod, but for Religion? =p

13. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Or accept the city and turn it Jewish also. That way you can build two temples there. There is no real penalty for cities not following the party line.

14. petey

petey Prince

A question about the Organized Religion civic in relation to this:

If your state religion is Judaism and you have Organized Religion, would a city with both Judaism and Buddhism still get the 25% production bonus?

15. MosquitoE

MosquitoE Chieftain

There are no negative consequences to having more religions in your cities.

As in real life religion tends to spread on its own, not necessarily the particular way that a leader would want. History has shown that efforts to eliminate "heathen" religions from a society tend to reinforce the dedication of members in the long run,

16. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle Chieftain

As far as I can tell, the Theocracy restriction of no spread on non-state religions doesn't work, as under the Theocracy civics setting, other religions were still spreading to my cities, even though my declared state religion was Judaism.

17. Gufnork

Gufnork Prince

Theocracy might just prevent missionaries from spreading non-state religion. I know I've tried to send out missionaries to a neighbour and been unable to do so because of Theocracy.

There are a few negatives about having other religions in your borders. First, the founder of the religion gets LOS benefits and additional income from shrine. Second, it reduces the odds of your state religion spreading to that city. Those side effects are minor and I love getting more religions into my empire, that way I can produce missionaries to send to any of my cities in need of culture.

18. walkerjks

walkerjks Prince

In case it wasn't clear from the earlier poster - yes.

There are lots of upsides to having more then one religion (even if you didn't found it). You can build more temples, monastaries, and cathedrals. As a result, you can generate more happiness, science, and culture. In some cases, I will deliberately spread someone else's religion to my other cities, particularly my core 3 cities when going for a cultural victory or any city that could use the extra happiness from another temple.

As far as I can tell, there are only 2 downsides to having a rival's religion in your city:

1) They can demand that you convert to their religion. They can't do that if you don't have their religion in any of your cities.
    2) They get +1 gold if they have built the shrine. You don't lose any gold, but they do gain.

Personally, I love it when a rival's religion spreads to one of my cities. It gives me more flexibility.

19. Dr. Broom

Dr. Broom Warlord

I have had this happen too, my state religion and all my cities were Christian and I had theocracy but somehow somebody managed to convert one of my cities to Buddhism and somehow they converted the whole city so it was only Buddhist and not Buddhist and Christian.

20. GoldenAge

GoldenAge Chieftain

Maybe instead of restarting you should play it out and see where it goes, eh?