Buffy 005 Announcement

This happens in BUG 4.4 aswell and I'm not sure it is a bug. It is because Gunpowder-based and non-gunpowder-based units don't see the same defense bonus in enemy cities, because the former ignore bonuses from walls and castles. However, bombarding with Cannons/Artillery/MobileArtillery still takes walls/castles into account.

For example, let's say a city has 60% cultural defenses, walls and castle.

When you bombard with a cannon (-12%), the log (in BUG) will display "you have reduced the defenses of Bombay to 88%", even though the Cannon sees 0.88*60=52% (or 53, not sure about the rounding). When you select - say - a maceman, it will show the "correct" 88% defense bonus.

This "issue" stops happening when the AI reaches Rifling, which obsoletes walls&castles.

Looks like in BUFFY 005 it's happening the reverse way, though I can't say for sure becaue I haven't tried it.
I have seen this issue with pre-gunpowder units. From memory it typically involves Walls though. What happens is that I have a stack of catas and need to bombard down cultural defence. With a wall, each cata should normally reduce it by 4%. But sometimes it only takes away 3% for whatever reason, which isn't weighed up by the next one doing 5%. Of course this isn't a big deal all things considered, but it's something I notice fairly regularly when waging war.

The percentages can look pretty wonky if you have for instance Cannons+whatever due to what you write above, but what I have seen seems to be a different issue.

By far the biggest issue that needs to be resolved is the double worker stealing. It's very easy to reproduce in the game, but I have no idea how hard it is to track down in the code. Unfortunately coding issues can be really hard like that, because the error can be located in unexpected places.

I have installed BUG 4.4 in CustomAssets and Buffy .004b as mod. Testing the double worker steal:
1) doesnt work in BUG 4.4
2) does work in Buffy .004b
3) I installed BULL 1.2 in CustomAssests and the worker steal also works
So it seems it is a BULL 1.2 issue.

To me it would also be useful to understand how such a glitch arises because there could be others yet undiscovered.

Here's the Unofficial Patch

Based on the changelog, I'm sure 1.5 is not in BUFFY 003.
Spoiler :
This will be nice: "AIs you haven't met yet will no longer get angry at you for trading with their worst enemy "
This will be missed :( "Fixed bug causing inappropriate overflow research and effectively free techs when forming a Permanent Alliance"
It looks like v1.4 is where the culture border pop "feature" was fixed, so that's not in BUFFY 003 either.

The patch is at v1.6 now. Maybe that would help? or hurt more? Or I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Ok, this must be it. BUFFY came out with version 1.0 of the Unofficial Patch.

In version 1.1...
- CvUnit::canMoveInto - Changed to allow paratroopers to capture workers and undefended cities after paradropping. Also allows units with multiple moves to capture multiple tiles of non-combat units like workers.

The team working on this patch considered it a bug that workers (and missionaries, execs) could not be captured. So maybe it doesn't need to be fixed?

To fix the "feature", open up CvUnit.cpp and find canMoveInto. I don't have the 'bugged' version of the source. The change will be easy to find. If you want to post the source file, I'll fix it. It's probably somewhere around here:
Code:
    if (bAttack)
    {
        if (isMadeAttack() && !isBlitz())
        {
            return false;
        }
    }

like this?

from 392-up_v1_6_sources.zip

Code:
     // The following change makes it possible to capture defenseless units after having
    // made a previous attack or paradrop
    if( bAttack )
    {
        if (isMadeAttack() && !isBlitz() && (pPlot->getNumVisibleEnemyDefenders(this) > 0))
        {
            return false;
        }
    }

Awesome work guys, really appreciate you all chipping in.

The team working on this patch considered it a bug that workers (and missionaries, execs) could not be captured. So maybe it doesn't need to be fixed?

I tend to consider it not a bug and think we should fix it but I'm open to be convinced otherwise.

(pPlot->getNumVisibleEnemyDefenders(this) > 0

So this is saying if there are defending units (i.e. military) you can't attack but otherwise you can?
yep. Simply changing it back to what I posted will fix it. Now the debate on which way is the correct way...

I suppose I would say we keep it the way it's always been for HoF.
So leave the Unofficial Patch as is, but make a change just for BUFFY. A patch version 1.6b which combines to make BULL v1.2b and finally BUFFY 005.

Last edited:
Make it the way CIV always was. One tile with worker(s) capture per unit without blitz.
I agree having thought about it, the change makes no sense - without blitz you get one attack whether that is on a civilian or non-civilian unit.

Great, so I don't see the other 'issues' as showstoppers, do you?
Would you like help on those? or just release 005?

I don't see them as showstoppers but would like to get them fixed! @Lemon Merchant is looking at the Sea Sentry issue (and a nicer replacement for the Bug icon but that's definitely low priority). I've updated the bug list to show who is working on what.

I would like someone to look at the "Requires Monastery" bug when you are in OR, this says it's related to Wonders but I'm a bit suspicious:-

Spoiler :
- CvGameTextMgr::buildBuildingRequiresString - Adds text if building is required in city for wonder, like hospital for red cross (thanks EF)

I believe that that's just how Civ 4 works. Each AI will get their turn and generate requests, then before the start of your turn, you have to answer all of those requests.
I haven't been able to reproduce this but I suspect you are right. I did find this guide to events order in the BULL discussion:-
  1. Player makes moves
  2. Player hits end turn
  3. Game performs automoves
  4. Game acquires techs
  5. Other players make their moves
  6. Player starts their move
  7. Game displays popups/diplomacy created during 4 and 5

Great find, WT!

Top Bottom