BUG: Broken Promise to Move Troops

saraha

Chieftain
A while back, Norway told me that they wanted me to move some of the troops along their border. A little bit later, Norway launched a surprise attack against me. When I moved my troops to defend, the game informed me that I had broken my promise.

Technically, I did move my troops back to the border, but it's absurd to think any leader would expect you not to defend yourself if attacked. It seems fairly obvious that this promise should be either nullified or immediately considered "kept" if the leader to which you made the promise attacks you. (I can see an argument for either of these, but I can't imagine any actual human over the age of ten arguing that you have to keep your troops away while he or she is attacking you. This is "why are you hitting yourself" territory.)

Civilization VI 1.0.0.26 (221715)
DirectX 11
Windows 10.0 build 14393, 64 bit

PS: I would imagine that there's a related, trickier issue that can happen if three civilizations share a border. Luxembourg asks France not to put troops along their shared border. Germany invades France near the Luxembourg border, and Luxembourg stays neutral. France moves troops to defend against the invasion. Is France's promise to Luxembourg broken? Absent more diplomacy, I think the answer is probably "yes." Luxembourg would probably still be unhappy about the large armies near their border, and it would still be easy for France to launch an attack with that army. Alternately, the game could achieve that additional diplomacy by popping up a special dialog that allows you to say "I only intend to fight with Germany," and France would receive an extra warmonger penalty if this turned out to be a lie.

Confirmed. I had exactly the same scenario with Germany. They at some point asked me to move my troops, which I did.
Then they fielded their troops near my borders ... which I let them, until Germany launched a surprise attack on me!
Of course, I proceeded to repel them and subsequently came close to their border, at which time I got a "your promise to the German Empire not to move your troops near their borders" has been broken.
Clearly, once you are at war, and specifically one they started, should not constitute a broken promise if you hit back.

The AI seems way too trigger-happy with this regardless of circumstances.

I've had Ghandi ask em to move my troops despite the only ones even remotely close to his empire being a Scout and a Horseman. The Scout being parked on my border with a city state to make sure no barbarian camps spawn along my trade route and the Horseman being fortified in my city center. Both units were within my own borders and 3 tiles away from Ghandi's territory.

Promising to move my troops when prompted I scanned the map, found no troops worth mentioning and promptly ended up breaking my promise in a couple of turns.

The whole tendency of the AI to forward-settle at the minimum distance like a crazy person (and never re-evaluating the plot for settlement purposes once I see a settler heading for my border and purchase all the tiles I can around it) and then demand you move your troops from its borders is annoying as hell.

[1.0.0.194]

It would seem that this is still an issue a year on, at least where one has open borders.

You can see that I've "broken" a promise to the American Empire to move troops on the borders. First I gained an open borders agreement with him, then I moved my four units (now between Kabul and Jerusalem) to our mutual border and then through it. As soon as I was in American lands, Teddy demanded to know what I was doing. I answered that I was merely passing through, as I was. Of course it took a while to get through Baltimore, as the mountains, river, woods, and lack of roads around made it slow going.

Spoiler :

20171109223754_1.jpg

Game attached below.

Attachments

• PETER 390 390 AD.Civ6Save
    3.2 MB · Views: 138
Top Bottom