[BUG] Condemnation

Risch

Chieftain
Short Version:
AI player condemns me at "Friendly", but this condemnation doesn't show up in the Diplomatic window (still shows "You have Cooperation Agreements with other players they like!" feedback). However, the effects of the condemnation appear in all other player's feedback box.

Long Version:
I'll fully admit I'm still puzzled by a lot of the logic behind diplomacy, but I thought it was odd that Hutama would do this.
I have a Cooperation Agreement with Polystralia, a few turns later he asks for a DoW on Fielding. No problem, I think, she's far away and it's early enough in the game that this will be a phony war. ~15 turns later, she sues for peace (and bizarrely, gives me all of her money to end a war in which no shots were fired).

Almost immediately after, Hutama makes peace as well, and the following turn, condemns me. Thing is, he's still at "Friendly" and there's no 'red' feedback in his box. However, the effects of this appear in all other player's boxes - including the fact that suddenly *I'm* the warmonger? I didn't capture a single city, I'm not sure why this is calculating as such.

Attached an autosave from ~10 turns prior to this event, not sure if this will help or not.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Turn 91.CivBESave
    571 KB · Views: 107
Just played this again from autosave on turn 91, confirmed it happens on turn 96. Hutama pops in, condemns you, but stays at friendly and the red feedback doesn't appear in his box, but it does appear in all others.

You made peace before he did; that counts as unfriendly I reckon.

The real problem is: why does an AI condemn you when being friendly and cooperative and there being no apparent reason to trigger such a condemnation. Happened to me, but since this isn't really a new thing in Civ I didn't gamesave. (And yes, the condemnator stayed at friendly.)

Anywho, you found another bug.

You made peace before he did; that counts as unfriendly I reckon.

Yeah, but this doesn't make sense to me either. If you spend favors or use an alliance to declare war, and the AI does this as soon as they can. I've actually counted, they will wait until the bare minimum number of turns have elapsed to make peace, and will do so as quickly as possible. And they generally declare war but don't make any effort to actually be aggressive. So, it's okay for the AI to do that, but I get penalized?

I guess I'm still very confused by diplomacy in this game. It seems very difficult to work with an AI that acts irrationally.

A condemnation applies a penalty to the one being condemned for every other faction. So if I condemn Poly then it reduces his diplo standing with everybody else. That is why the penalty shows in everybody's but the condemner. Condemnation also wears off over time and all its effects immediately disappear after its final active turn. So no bug there unless you intend to point out strange actions by the AI.

I observed the same strange behaviour than Risch three times in different games. The AI condems me out of nowwhere. The condemnation is not shown anywhere in the diplo screen. We still have a cooperation agreement, he is still friendly and likes to trade. Even the other AIs don't react to this.

So I think the AI had not eally condemed me - it was just some case of unintentional pop-up of the condemnation screen. So it is a bug in my regard.

The denounce dialog is showing an outdated diplo attitude. He denounced me for my warmongering.

Spoiler :

A condemnation applies a penalty to the one being condemned for every other faction. So if I condemn Poly then it reduces his diplo standing with everybody else. That is why the penalty shows in everybody's but the condemner.

I'm sorry, Promethian, but I don't think that's right. I've definitely seen red feedback in the condemner's own diplomatic feedback pane that reads "They have condemned us!/They are condemning us!"

And it certainly doesn't explain the behavior of condemning someone at Friendly relations.

Yeah, but this doesn't make sense to me either. If you spend favors or use an alliance to declare war, and the AI does this as soon as they can. I've actually counted, they will wait until the bare minimum number of turns have elapsed to make peace, and will do so as quickly as possible. And they generally declare war but don't make any effort to actually be aggressive. So, it's okay for the AI to do that, but I get penalized?

I guess I'm still very confused by diplomacy in this game. It seems very difficult to work with an AI that acts irrationally.

Diplomacy is a bit rudimental in BE. I'd suggest simply not to ally. It tends to get you in some sort of trouble you're not happy with.

I was wondering why in one of my games, I was allied to PAC, at friendly, and on one turn, for no apparent reason, she condemns me, while still remaining friendly. It made me think the AI is on drugs lol.

Top Bottom