1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

BUG: Great Admiral spawned in a lake and cannot leave.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Bug Reports' started by SheckyS, Oct 30, 2016.

1. SheckyS

SheckyS Chieftain

So I got a great admiral and he spawned in the Huey Teocalli wonder in a lake. He's basically trapped in this lake now and cannot do anything. He can't get out, he can't get to a city... so he's useless.

Save game attached.

Attached Files:

nzcamel likes this.
  2. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

I encountered the same thing. But I ragequit and didn't save. Oops.

And it was in fact the same scenario. The city was in the process of constructing the Huey Teocalli wonder, and the Great Admiral spawned on the Huey Teocali plot.

Possibly the issue has to do with
    Code:
    	<Building_ValidTerrains>
    		<Row BuildingType="BUILDING_HUEY_TEOCALLI" TerrainType="TERRAIN_COAST"/>
    	</Building_ValidTerrains>
    causing the gamecore to consider the Huey Teocalli plot as being a coastal sea instead of lake tile. All the other wonders that have the same TerrainType="TERRAIN_COAST" requirement also forbid placement in lakes in the definition of the Wonder under table <Buildings>. But I cannot remember whether I've seen a Great Admiral spawn on one of Colossus, Great Lighthouse, Venetian Arsenal, or Sydney Opera House.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  3. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

It could be that that's your only harbour. But regardless, I wouldn't ragequit, I'd kill him for the money. (Not a bug, but a design error. Obviously Great Admirals in lakes are utterly useless - unless, of course, it's a very big lake.).

4. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

Well, there's also the problem that the game wants to let you build harbors in lakes. But that's a separate issue (perhaps; and probably related to the fact that there's no equivalent to Civ5's "MinAreaSize" for units, districts, or buildings/wonders). And at the time I encountered the issue with the Great Admiral I had three other cities that were either on actual coastlines or had completed a Harbor District.

5. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

I see. Well, the thing is, there isn't a check to see how big the lake actually is. But apart from that:

No, the game allows you to. You're perfectly free to not do that.

6. SaiH

SaiH Chieftain

AFAIK you can rebase a Great Admiral from harbour to harbour or from city to city like other Great Persons.

7. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

You can. When you can't, it's definitely a bug.

8. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

The problem is that great admirals can spawn on the Huey Teocalli wonder tile. If this happens you cannot rebase the Great Admiral. And since he is in the middle of a lake, you cannot move him the hard way to a more useful position. If his retire ability is to give you a quinquireme, for example, you now have a pretty useless quinquireme.

9. Deaga

Deaga Chieftain

You can only move Great Admirals FROM cities to other cities or harbors. A harbor can only be a destination for this, not the origin. Flawed design/bug, if you could use the Harbor to warp the GAdm somewhere else there would be really no issue.

10. The Swede

The Swede Viking

Happened twice for me today..... :cry:

11. Altrune

Altrune Chieftain

I had the same issue. All my great admirals were spawned in the city with Huey Teocalli and a harbour. I have the Summer 2017 Update.

There is a solution though:
    1. Open the file "Units.xml" (it is located in ..\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data\Units.xml)
    2. Make a copy of Units.xml if you like to play it safe
    3. Go to line 671 (or the line with "UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" " in the section "<Units>")
    4. Change "DOMAIN_SEA" to "DOMAIN_LAND"
    5. Start or restart CIV 6 and load your save game
    6. Be aware that you won't see the change until the next turn

You can now move your great admiral as if it was a land unit. Including transferring it to another city.

12. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

IMO that's ok. Suppose said city is on the coast, the harbour is protected. Let's see anyone try to pillage it. You can build your ships in safety and move them out to sea through your city.

(I'm currently playing a game with a city like this. I'll post a pic once I've constructed my harbour).

13. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

The problem is that Firaxis both allowed Harbors / Royal Dockyards on lake tiles (while encouraging such placements via adjacency bonuses) while at the same time not dealing with the fact that the game will RNG dump a great admiral into such a District that might not be placed adjacent to a city.

Counting on a canal-placement set-up with a lake on one side and a coast on the other of a City Center seems like relying far too much on a purely RNG-luck map situation.

14. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

I promised to post a pic of the city with a lake harbour. You can bring your navy in to heal. It's so good

15. vonopf

vonopf Chieftain

My ship is stuck in a lake as the harbor is there and the city doesn't bridge lake and sea. Highly frustrating

16. bbufa

bbufa Chieftain

I have a city by the lake, Great Admiral cannot enter the city center!

Attached Files:

17. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

Rarely ever is it worth building a harbour in a lake IMO. The screenshot above is one example where it can be very strategic.

18. bbufa

bbufa Chieftain

Do the dev consider it as a bug??? It's one YEAR since game release and they still don't fix it!!!
    Great Admiral always spawn in highest population city with harbor district.

Attached Files:

19. Rosty K

Rosty K Chieftain

The question here is why build a harbor in this lake?

20. bbufa

bbufa Chieftain

because there is no other district left to build, I thought the GA will spawn in the first harbor but it turns out to be in the highest population city (which is extremely annoying because I have to maintain population of lake-adjacent cities or I will end up with useless GAs).