[NFP] Bug or feature? Divine Spark does not apply to Maya's Observatory

kaspergm

Deity
Maybe this was known, and maybe this applies to all unique district replacements (does it?), but just an observation from my Maya game yesterday, which ironically had the perfect start and then everything went wrong from there.

So I picked Divine Spark as my pantheon, only to realize somewhat later that I was in fact not getting the benefit of the extra Great Scientist point from my Observatory. I always assumed the benefits of this belief applied also to unique districts (pretty sure I've taken it several times when playing as Greece, lol), but am I in fact wrong on that?

EDIT > As pointed out by Aurelesk, maybe the issue was that after GS change, the district needs its level 1 building to provide the bonus, I had forgotten that.

Last edited:
I would lean towards this being a bug. I neither see a need balance-wise to punish an already mediocre Pantheon or UDs this way (and even less, if only some of them are hit) nor is that somewhere documented to be intended or falls in place with the usual mechanics around dealing with UDs. Also most features in the game (like policies, but also beliefs like Jesuit Education) affect UDs like their standard counterparts, so that this exception just makes no sense to me.

Maybe this was known, and maybe this applies to all unique district replacements (does it?), but just an observation from my Maya game yesterday, which ironically had the perfect start and then everything went wrong from there.

So I picked Divine Spark as my pantheon, only to realize somewhat later that I was in fact not getting the benefit of the extra Great Scientist point from my Observatory. I always assumed the benefits of this belief applied also to unique districts (pretty sure I've taken it several times when playing as Greece, lol), but am I in fact wrong on that?

The Divine Spark pantheon changed in Gathering Storm: the additionnal great Scientist and Writer are now applied to the Library and the Amphitheatre, instead of the Campus and the Theater Square.

If you are playing with Gathering Storm expansion: do you have a Library inside your Observatory?
Unfortunately, I am unable to check this by myself and run a game right now. But I will sure do some tests when I am home.

The Divine Spark pantheon changed in Gathering Storm: the additionnal great Scientist and Writer are now applied to the Library and the Amphitheatre, instead of the Campus and the Theater Square.

If you are playing with Gathering Storm expansion: do you have a Library inside your Observatory?
Unfortunately, I am unable to check this by myself and run a game right now. But I will sure do some tests when I am home.
Oh ... I forgot about that change. That may be the explanation, I did not have a Library at the time of observation, I just noticed I got 1 GS point per turn after having built the Observatory.

I agree this is a bug but Divine Spark weak?? Really surprised to hear you think that!

In case you were refering to my post - I don't think it is weak, just somewhere in the middle (but maybe my wording was wrong to express that). GPPs are useful, but the effect kicks in later and while I sometimes pick this Pantheon, a extra settler or hammers from fishing boats often appear more appealing.

Top Bottom