bug or implementation (barbs love huts)

buldozer

Warlord
I started a game last night (Standart , custom_continents , Monarch)
So i was alone on an island , poped a scout and started opening these tribal gudy huts... but when the period for the barberians came, i saw a strange thing ... some of the burbarians where at the top of the guddy-hut ... and the mosts strange thing was, they where fortified , so when i go with my scout near them , they wont attack me , with sattler too ,, they just dont move . Now is this a bug or the barb. AI is so programmed ??

btw thats sucks cause scouts and explorers dont attack , so i have to kill them with other unit and the guddy-hut give at maximum 20-30 gold.

Yes, it's programmed. I don't know whether, later in the game, huts "generate" barbs, but to some degree I think it's purposeful precisely to prevent you from popping a hut with an explorer -- perhaps because the idea of getting something really good out of a primitive village is silly.

Guarded huts turn into barbarian cities. I've noticed in games I've reloaded that barb cities I've found are guarded huts if I discover them earlier. However, they don't seem to grow if you find them in the guarded hut phase.

I imagine that all huts have some potential to become guarded, then grow into cities, if you don't discover them soon enough.

Yeah, as cities. As guarded huts you can only kill the guarding units and get the goodies (or the pissed off villagers).

Padmewan said:
I think it's purposeful precisely to prevent you from popping a hut with an explorer -- perhaps because the idea of getting something really good out of a primitive village is silly.

I understand what Padmewan is saying, but can that be right? The Explorer unit has built in to it "gets better reults from tribal villages." The Scout has this as well. Presumably the Scout gets better results than, say, a Warrior, and the Explorer would get better results than a Scout.

I do agree, though, that the explorer unit comes around too late for a chance at a goody hut, except occasionally.

Padmewan said:
Yes, it's programmed. I don't know whether, later in the game, huts "generate" barbs, but to some degree I think it's purposeful precisely to prevent you from popping a hut with an explorer -- perhaps because the idea of getting something really good out of a primitive village is silly.

Well i remember playing prince once and popped with explorer Astronomy from a hut , it was on some island 14tiles max.

So you guys expirenced this on what kind of difficulty ?

Barbarians don't seem to 'pop' from huts, but if they are wandering around and they find a hut, they will 'guard' it from the evil colonialists.

aviator99_uk said:
Which kinda begs the question about the use/value of explorers...

Aviator

I played again on monarch , i happened exactly the same , so explorer have no value in mid-late game cause before you reach compass all the huts are already guarded ....

The one using the the explorer as a medic is not a bad one :goodjob:

jpowers said:
Barbarians don't seem to 'pop' from huts, but if they are wandering around and they find a hut, they will 'guard' it from the evil colonialists.

I once had a barbarian walk passed my newly founded undefended city, en route to the other side of the continent to guard a hut. Perhaps the first barbarians' priority will be to guard those huts, before getting aggressive?

What happens if you attack the hut guarding barb with a stack with at least one scout/explorer? Will the scout/explorer pop it or will the attacking unit pop it?

buldozer said:
Well i remember playing prince once and popped with explorer Astronomy from a hut , it was on some island 14tiles max.

So you guys expirenced this on what kind of difficulty ?

The same thing happened to me in a Monarch Terra game recently.

I find explorers useful in Terra games because they can hunt out the resources & good city locations in the New World before you get Astronomy, and survive the occasional attack by a barbarian.

You can use spies to pop those huts without harming those peaceful barbarians. Though there probably won't be any left unless you have a significant tech lead against the AI such that you can build spies before they get astronomy.

Top Bottom