Bug Reports and Technical Issues

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Hickman888

Hickman888 Prince

FYI, you can recruit barbarian Keshiks while playing as the Turks, you just need to research the technology that unlocks them (Feudalism) first.

Derdan and Dominus the Mentat like this.
  2. Dominus the Mentat

Dominus the Mentat Warlord

Yes. At first I haven't know about this and thought it was a bug when I have captured them but they have been destroyed. Thank you for the information!

Hickman888 likes this.
  3. Zaddy

Zaddy Prince

Hi, this isn't necessarily a bug per se, but an observation: basically every civ is pleased or friendly with every other civ in many of my recent games. I've noticed in the latest versions that, if you play as a civ that requires military expansion (ie, Colombia, America, Germany, etc) that eventually the entire world hates you, because you rack up crazy amounts of negative diplo because "You declared war on our friend!". This simultaneously makes the game much more difficult for some civs, and may explain at least partially the crazy tech paces I've complained about from the AI; when the entire world is basically a hugbox, the AIs will trade techs like crazy. Same thing occurs in the vanilla game. At worst, civs will be Annoyed with other civs, and 90% of the time they're Cautious or better. For an example, see this American game, where basically every civ is Pleased or Friendly with every other civ.

Attached Files:

4. Matara

Matara Chieftain

That's a privilage for AI. They are given hidden modifiers to like each other more. And basically, you don't need to please everyone and you can't please everyone. What you need is to please a certain one, like England or America in late game. They will be friendly to you if you adopt their favourite civic and do something good to them. Then you may choose a different tech path and trade with them.

5. Zaddy

Zaddy Prince

I'm aware that the AI receives a handicap for diplo, but having everyone love each other is excessive.

Leoreth likes this.
  6. Matara

Matara Chieftain

Look on the other side. AI is handicapped in many aspects. Their buildings are cheaper. Their techs are cheaper. Their maintenance are low. They receive armies for free. Diplomacy is quite a small one of them.

7. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 King

On the other hand they are completely incompetent with regards to handling stability, and they don't know which cities are going to flip to a new civ at which time.

Plus, we are smarter than they are. Well, at least I hope so.

8. Zaddy

Zaddy Prince

I'm saying the handicap the AI receives in this regard is rather extreme, and didn't exist to this degree in previous versions of the mod. From that I gather it's unintended.

9. Nyayr

Nyayr Prince

If they got Islam it usually is a massive -15 to other religions, but if they go free religion it is pretty much hugs village, or are all the same religion. Also they often take dumb choice like picking a Civ that gives them a -10 with others they keep, or overexpanding with a tiny core of 2 cities.

10. Matara

Matara Chieftain

You will find it intended extremely in late game rather than early game. AI relations are dominated by religion a lot, which is of greatest importance in medieval, then gradually fade out after entering new eras. So Ancient civs won't meet each other. Medieval and Renaissance civs will dislike other heathens a lot as if the diplo-handicap doesn't exist. Then in industrial and modern, they act to be heavily handicapped in diplo relations. You see everyone pleased to everyone except you. Yeah it is annoying if you are not a total warmonger or conquest/domination victory seeker.

11. Leoreth

Leoreth Vampire of the Blue Moon Moderator

I am considering to reduce the emphasis on religious relations, or maybe instead make civs with religious differences less likely to develop positive relations from trade and more likely to develop negative relations from wars etc.

I am also wondering if the relatively low threshold to open borders is part of the issue? Once borders are open, trade relation modifiers start stacking up leading to long term positive relations.

stillblackadder likes this.
  12. Matara

Matara Chieftain

Is it possible to change the logic that AI never cancel OB if relation is bad?They shall at least have a small possibility to cancel it, if the relation drops under the threshold again. So there are dynamics to stop long term positive modifiers.

Krieger-FS and Leoreth like this.
  13. Leoreth

Extremely valuable save, thanks for sharing it. The issue is that the Turks mean to target Shush, which is not the closest city to their own territory, but your other cities are not part of their expansion area (like Hasanlu). I had not considered that kind of situation before.

In consequence, I refined the code that determines their spawning tile. Now they will first determine their own city closest to the target city, and then find the closest enemy city from that city. If the actual target city is in the expansion area, that would be the target itself. Otherwise it will usually turn out to be a city on the way to the target city.

Then I also added more safeguards against "wrong" spawn tiles. Previously, the spawn would always be on one of the plots three tiles away from the target, not closer but also not further away. Because that is quite narrow, I was hesitant to disallow tiles with enemy units, because it would enable exploits where you put a unit into every possible spawn tile to prevent the spawn entirely. Now I changed it into any tile between the origin city and the target city, that is land, not impassable, within either your territory, the target's territory, or nobody's territory, and is neither occupied by an enemy unit nor directly next to or inside a city not controlled by the attacker.

Quite a lot of conditions but I think all of them are necessary to produce sensible spawn locations. It seems restrictive, but in the worst case the attacker's closest origin city should always be a valid location.

While I was working at it, I made two further changes:
    1. There will now be a notifications when expansion units spawn, both as a warning and to explain why they appear.
    2. If you make peace with a civilization, its expansion area will be removed from your territory. This should prevent them to declare wars for it over and over again.

All of it will be pushed (probably later today) with the next batch of fixes.

14. Hickman888

Hickman888 Prince

Has the immigrant mechanic been removed? I don't recall having any immigrants to my cities playing as any of the North/South American civilizations, recently.

Leoreth likes this.
  15. Leoreth

Arabia is still birth protected, as you can see from the tile tooltip.

The units being pushed out even though they are still on your territory was a bug, fix will come soon. I also limited the amount of free units birth protected civs can receive on attack.

16. BigSchwartzzz

BigSchwartzzz Chieftain

Just updated, playing Mayans. Settled a second city and when I examine it I get frozen into a python exception loop that can't be exited outside closing the program and rerunning in. When this happens I fix the hidepythonexceptions in civ4config as instructed, which always works, but this time nada. Can't figure out how to escape it.

The save upload is right before I whip the settler.

E: Replicated the bug with an entirely new game, so wasn't a fluke.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022 at 4:51 PM
    Leoreth likes this.
  17. Leoreth

Fix coming for this.

BigSchwartzzz likes this.
  18. BigSchwartzzz

BigSchwartzzz Chieftain

Thanks. You're gonna hate me, but I played through it and at some point the issue stopped. However, two new issues.
    1) I'm not getting a core stability modifier it seems. (E: This fixed itself too. Is it triggered by something?)
    2) I just changed to the republic civic and I'm not getting the great people slots for it. Except weirdly for 1 scientist slot in my other two cities.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022 at 7:02 PM
  19. BigSchwartzzz

BigSchwartzzz Chieftain

Got another one this game. So nobody built the Parthenon in the old world so I figured I'd construct it. 1 turn left and the game says I cannot continue building it, which I assume is a regional reason. Still disappointing AF.

Attached Files:

20. Dominus the Mentat

Dominus the Mentat Warlord

Spain first UHV is considered Failed even when the player succeeds in founding the first european city in the Americas. Save attached. Just see the Vctory Conditions tab to confirm that the first UHV is completed and then end the turn to receive the notification that the UHV is failed.

Sometimes some civilizations begin with wrong religions.
    Screenshot_18.png

Attached Files:

Leoreth likes this.