Bug Reports Center

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Bug Reports' started by Ginger_Ale, Nov 5, 2005.

1. LulThyme

LulThyme King

Normal is fine, quick doesnt work properly either.
    To rush with one pop available you need 20 left but it will actually add 30.

2. MTKnife

MTKnife Chieftain

Sorry, I meant the unhealthiness detail.

MT

3. Mysterio10000

Mysterio10000 Prince

Although this is not a bug, it needs to be fixed by Firaxis:

When the text cursor is in the field for entering chat text, it should stay there until the player, not the game, relinquishes control of it. It's very frustrating to hit enter right after a civ makes first contact with me: instead of sending my chat message, I declare war on a civ! :mad:

This needs to be fixed ASAP.

4. Mysterio10000

Mysterio10000 Prince

Firaxis needs to investigate the combat odds code or the manner in which combat is resolved. While on the offense, I am consistently losing battles in which the odds are 96% or more in my favor. While on the defense, I am consistently losing battles in which the odds are 15% or less for the attacker. So, either the combat odds code is calculating the odds incorrectly, or they broke the combat code in 1.52.

Thanks.

5. DavidForthoffer

DavidForthoffer Chieftain

I was experiencing random crashes when my system had 4 gigabytes of RAM. I estimate that for every hour I persisted in playing, it crashed 5 to 10 times. The form of the crash was to instantly close the app. This is with the v1.09 patch, on Windows XP Home having Service Pack 2 and all recommended Windows Updates.

When I removed two of the four DIMMs, it never crashed that way.

Sometimes, in either configuration, it would freeze after it said it finished loading a saved game (but before showing the game play). It froze so bad that the cursor did not move, and it did not respond to such keystrokes as Enter, Esc, Ctrl-Esc, Alt-Tab, Ctrl-Alt-Del, etc.

Both problems are unrelated to the graphics problems I had been having, with my nVidia GeForce 6800 GT video adapter. I saw their utility showing the GPU temperature was reaching 112 degrees Celsius, despite my computer having a power supply fan, a CPU fan, a GPU fan, and a chassis fan. I solved the problem by taking the cover off the computer and setting up a 10" table fan blowing directly on the video adapter card, at hurricane speed. The GPU temperature then never rose above 85 degrees Celsius (well below the utility's alert level of 100 degrees), and I stopped experiencing the graphics problems.

David Forthoffer
    Senior Computer Scientist, Quality Engineering

6. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

These problems all sound related to me. No matter what the program does, it shouldn't be able to overheat your computer. You're sure you're not overclocking your components? Or that your RAM isn't too slow for your bus? It seems that you have a bunch of different hardware problems and I'm tempted to attribute them all to whoever assembled your system.

7. DavidForthoffer

DavidForthoffer Chieftain

DaviddesJ,

You say that no matter what the program does, it shouldn't be able to overheat my computer. Consider that while not running Civ 4, the GPU temperature was a steady 60° Celsius, but that climbed to 112°, even with all the Civ 4 graphics options set to the least stressful. Clearly, the program affects the temperature of the video card. Considering that my system had all four fans installed, and that the nVidia GeForce 6800 GT is known for overheating, my conclusion is that this is a problem with the video card rather than the installation. It is as if Gigabyte Technologies is also trying to sell their cooling hardware.

Before using the external hurricane fan, I had actually underclocked the GPU speed and video memory speed. Its default speeds were 350 MHz and 1000 MHz respectively, within a range of 315 to 700 MHz and 900 to 2000 MHz. I set the speeds to the lowest, and still reached 110°.

The ASUS P4S800D-X motherboard has a 400 MHz memory bus, which is much faster than the 50ns DIMM memory cards (i.e., 400 MHz > 20 MHz).

I do know of some commercial software applications that have had problems on systems with more than 2 GB of RAM. As I understand it, slightly different programming must be used to accommodate such address spaces.

My system was assembled by http://www.hitron.com. A major software company's Quality Engineering had all their PCs assembled by them, for several years until they went more "corporate". HiTron has been assembling my personal systems for fifteen years, and this is the first problem I have encountered (in contrast with my nightmare experience with a well-known nationwide PC vendor).

In retrospect, I am not positive that these failures were with the 1.52 patch. They may have occurred only with the original release.

Still, I think it would be good for Firaxis to test on a PC with 4 GB RAM (even if the system only sees 3.25 GB).

8. SPQR300

SPQR300 Deity

Mercantilism is bugged. Once you are not trading with anyone else, how come that other nations have trade routes in their cities with you?? Making mercantilism stop these trade routes in the rival's town would make mercantilism stronger. And because free market is better most of the time, I think the change would just make mercantilis stronger, and make the game a bit more balanced too.

9. EugenB

EugenB Chieftain

Hi

Here's another bug (sorry if its been reported, too many posts to check :p ).

Until now i had no problems running the game (updated to 1.52).

However, today i made some changes to "Regional and Language Options" on my Win XP Home. What i did was switching the "," and "." numbers separators, the point becoming the decimal separator, and comma separting groups of thousands. This is because i live in Romania, and i need that number formating for printing some official accounting documents...

After this changes, the game crashes upon loading, i guess on Init Python Init action, the last thing i see is Init Sounds.... (Needless to say that if i return to default settings the game works).

Eugen

10. wastecan

wastecan Chieftain

v1.52 - AI does not honor Open Borders - Naval Units (esp. Galley)
    (Note: I believe this different than the v1.09 Open Borders Bug)

Steps to reproduce:
    1) Best to Play Archipelago
    2) Never Accept Open Borders with AI
    3) Soon, ships will be entering your Borders freely

Attached SaveGame

_______

Edit: Thanks to DaviddesJ - Not a bug - Caravels, not Galleys as I incorrectly wrote, can ignore rival civilizations territory. My bad.

11. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

I loaded your save file, and it doesn't show any enemy Galleys within your borders. It does show enemy Caravels within your borders, which are permitted.

12. limacsg

limacsg Chieftain

I had completed my satellite advancement and even completed my Apollo program, but the world map is still baclk in the areas I had not explored.

Did anyone face the same problem ?

13. Halon

Halon Chieftain

1.52 Bug

There is what appears to be a large memory leak within the game. Which gets progressively worse the longer you play the game.

After playing the game for about 1.5 - 2 hours my auto save games were around 547k, when I built a wonder the game save tripled in size, 1457k. Whenever I load this game it crashes to desktop.

What happens it that my turn comes, the wonder is built, it goes through all of the dialogs between nations, cuts to wonder build movie, and promptly stutters and staggers. Sound is all choppy, game becomes choppy, the movie graphics do not display at all, and the sound takes forever to go away... it just stutters along for about 10 minutes. I am able to play a turn or two more then the game crashes to desktop.

The error reports bad memory allocation.

I believe that major memory handling revisions in code need to be addressed if this is to be fixed.

My system:

2.8 GHz Intel 800 FSB w/Hyperthreading
    1 G of DDR memory (can't remember speed, but its for gamers)
    64 M DDR Memory Nvidia chipset video card (3 years old)

Technically, with exception of the video card, my system blows away the minimum and recommended settings.

I've ordered a new video card with 256 DDR Ram (Nvidia), but I do not believe that will fix the problem.

The game plays fine until the 3-4th wonder is built and movie played.

14. madviking

madviking north american scum

Too lazy to read all 14 pages but:

Being able to buy late game wonder/SS parts.

1. start building wonder/SS part
    2. use Engineer to hurry
    3. zoom in, you'll see you can buy the thing you rushed for a couple thousand bucks

15. Koyaanisqatsi

Koyaanisqatsi Chieftain

The only bugs I have experienced in 1.52 are

1. the Taoism movie getting stuck for a bit
    2. the Japanese civ getting weird eyes when he first appears
    3. the resource flags remaining visible in the darkness from the previous player in a hotseat game (before player clicks okay to start)
    4. attacking/combat across the map edge zooms into the wrong square
    5. the game locked up "waiting for other Civs" when all hotseat players retired
    6. units occasionally losing their animations

obviously, most of these I've seen posted throughout this forum.

16. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

@Madviking: You can and are supposed to be able to buy wonders when under Universal Sufferage. You can also pop-rush them under slavery. It isn't necessary to hurry with an engineer first, this just greatly reduces the number of hammers you have to pay for, so you are more likely to be able to afford it. This is therefore not a bug. You aren't supposed to be able to hurry a spaceship component with gold, slavery or an engineer, and I am unable to duplicate this in game. Are you by any chance thinking of the space elevator? In any case I don't think there's a bug here.

17. madviking

madviking north american scum

It says when trying to rush a wonder, can't rush wonders.

18. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

Are you saying YOU can't rush wonders? You are supposed to be able to rush wonders in Civ 4 so if you CAN'T rush them you have a bug. Or is this that the engineer isn't completing a wonder when you hurry production? They only give a certain number of hammers towards the production, so this won't always complete a wonder, especially in the late game. They do give a big boost though.

19. Koyaanisqatsi

Koyaanisqatsi Chieftain

Does the hotseat tech tree improperly show the previously researched techs? [I got the impression that it showed as researched, the techs that all players already had (all as in a boolean logical "and" not "or").]

20. Renata

Renata homicidal jungle cat GOTM Staff

It's almost certainly the video card. The one you have is seriously underpowered. Just turn movies off in the initialization file until your new card comes.