1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BUG] Strong AI conquers all AI capitals after losing their own

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Confirmed Bugs' started by PKut, Oct 9, 2010.

1. PKut

PKut Chieftain

Hello,

I'd like to report an AI issue I've run into while playing lately using version 1.0.0.20. A strong AI that goes after Domination victory seems to ignore losing their own Capital to the player, thus losing the game for itself by conquering all other civs.

Played a Continents map - conquered my continent, and upon discovering the other one, found out Caesar is dominating other civs and is running away from me progress-wise. I attacked and conquered Rome, but Romans proceeded to conquer all other AI capitals, causing me to win by Domination, while they had a sufficient army to try and recapture Rome first.

I could provide a save game but believe it may not be necessary as this will probably be a systemic issue. If not, please let me know and I shall try and find a demonstration save.

2. eireksten

eireksten Protective/Organized

I find it very strange that domination is "Be the last civ in control of its capital", and not "Control all capitals"...

3. Mathias

Mathias OCC Rocks!

Indeed:

It is possible, however unlikely, to win by Domination while playing OCC without ever waging war.

The point here, though, is that the AI should avoid triggering domination victory for the player.

4. PKut

PKut Chieftain

True that, whatever the design decision might be, 'control all capitals' seems much less prone to exploits; however, in case the current domination victory is set in stone by some balance rules the dev team came up with, the conquering AI should, in my humble opinion, reprioritize radically following the loss of their capital. They should avoid conquering capitals and fight for theirs as a high priority.

BTW, haven't tested this (didn't have time), but if you lose your capital and recapture it, are you still eligible for a Domination win or is the 'Capital lost' flag still set after you get the city back?

5. boneys26

boneys26 BTS Play session tester

I agree, domination is one of the easiest to win without doing much..

build up units, defend your own capital wait until AI has done most of the work then one quick assult on the last one and its yours

6. JP1

JP1 Warlord

It seems to me that the AI's Grand Strategic behavior makes logical sense... Taking over other cities to increase its land and maybe run for a space victory... But unfortunately one of the more focused 'sections' (probably the Strategic level) sounds like it isn't correlating 'I am taking over this guy's capital' with 'Taking this city will immediately end the game and make me lose'.

7. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

As the turkey is now cooked and many of us have gotten the achievement, I'd suggest they simply add an option to use a more difficult domination victory of controlling all capitals and give it a new achievement.

Alternatively domination should be last capital standing PLUS twice the size of your closest land size rival. This way, it forces you to at least fight your way out.

8. PKut

PKut Chieftain

As I understand it, while the victory condition may not be ideal, the real issue would be AI behaviour with respect to the rules as they are. The AI was developed against the last man standing domination rule, so that's what it should be able (or try) to cope with rather than break and lose due to ignorance to circumstances.

Either way, an option (and I stress the word option) to swap the domination condition for a tougher one (i.e. one that requires the player to actually dominate the board) would definitely be welcome by me, and hopefully by other Civ Fanatics as well.