Bugs and oddities

jjkrause84

King
I thought a more dedicated thread to bug and oddities would be in order.

- I am at war with the Inca. Everytime I conquer an Inca city I get the option to liberate the city (i.e. give it back to England...who NEVER owned it).

I thought a more dedicated thread to bug and oddities would be in order.

The amount of gameplay-related feedback I was getting was pretty minimal til you showed up, so the main thread was able to handle it. Maybe when 3.6.1 is released I'll start one... these threads that've just been started recently here work fine though. :p

- I am at war with the Inca. Everytime I conquer an Inca city I get the option to liberate the city (i.e. give it back to England...who NEVER owned it).

Uhh... okay... Hmm. By any chance are you using the custom colors game options? That might conceivably trigger this... otherwise I'm not sure. Can you try, just to test it, actually using the liberate option and see what happens? It might still give it back to Inca despite what it says.

(I've never really changed anything else that should affect this sort of thing, so it seems strange to me.)

A few thigns I've come across:

A) Things seem to come at funny times. I've had macemen FOREVER but longbowmen (or any real defensive unit other than archers) are nowhere in sight. As a result, all I can do is spam macemen, which is a bit boring. Same thing with pikemen and other units....seems like they could be bunched together a bit better

B) At times there is nothing to do but build military units (and lots of them). Either slower build times (in general) or more bulidings would solve this....obviously the former would be an easier fix.

C) Found hemp, it adds +1 health. Is there any way to make it add hammers or gold (or both!) instead of health (since its importance in trade and industry far outweighs its nutritional benefits). Maybe it could add a bonus to ship-building?

Why does standing next to a river make you lose hit-points? Should you heal FASTER next to a river?

A) Things seem to come at funny times. I've had macemen FOREVER but longbowmen (or any real defensive unit other than archers) are nowhere in sight. As a result, all I can do is spam macemen, which is a bit boring. Same thing with pikemen and other units....seems like they could be bunched together a bit better

Crossbows work relatively well as city defenders and very well as field defenders, and are probably faster to get to than Macemen.

Longbows, and Pikemen especially, are where they are for historical accuracy, and, well, the progression seems fine to me; Crossbows can hold Mounted units til you get to Pikes, which is closer to when Cuirassiers (and eventually Cavalry if you're slow to Riflemen) start showing up, ie where you need more anti-Mounted power.

(There was a discussion a long time ago on this site, like 3-4 years ago, where a guy who sounded like he knew a lot about ancient and medieval history was arguing for various things, and some of my original design was partially based on that discussion.)

B) At times there is nothing to do but build military units (and lots of them). Either slower build times (in general) or more bulidings would solve this....obviously the former would be an easier fix.

I did actually increase building build costs in v3.6 with the tweaked gamespeed settings, at least on Eternal. They do build a bit faster than in vanilla but that was b/c we found them too costly originally heh. In my own personal experience, in the few rare cases I do run out of buildings I want to build, and I don't badly need more military units, workers or settlers, I usually put the cities in Build Gold or Build Research mode and do more research. That's what those have always been there for.

That is not to say building build costs and tech research costs are set in stone; I'm always willing to adjust things. I'm just not sure anything needs to be done here. I'll keep an eye on it.

C) Found hemp, it adds +1 health. Is there any way to make it add hammers or gold (or both!) instead of health (since its importance in trade and industry far outweighs its nutritional benefits). Maybe it could add a bonus to ship-building?

Resources only support adding happiness, health, doubling production of certain buildings, and being required to build certain units. That's all that vanilla supports anyway. There are arguments like this that can be made for a number of resources, though I admit Hemp is probably the most interesting case. Custom resource abilities would take a bit of work to add and it's just not a priority for a single case like this, sorry.

Why does standing next to a river make you lose hit-points? Should you heal FASTER next to a river?

Because rivers trigger Flood Plains on both Deserts and Plains now, and Flood Plains have a damage effect. (Rivers on Grassland should be fine. :p)

I suppose I could remove the tile damage on Plains Flood Plains, but not without switching to a different FeatureType which I was trying to avoid doing, heh. Unless I hardcode it. But again, I'm not sure I should.

Thanks for your responses.

You're right Longbows and Pikes are fine where they are historically (although, the fact that ONLY England/Wales was able to field any meaningful number of them does make a strong case for the crossbow being "the" medieval ranged weapon i nthe game), I was just thinking from a game perspective. I may be "playing wrong" as I tend to get maces way early and nothing else medieval for quite some time.

In a war with Sitting Bull for a long time and the game forces me to make peace. Doesn't even "ask" me...it just does it (no cut to the diplo screen or anything).

Also, I got circumnavigation....without actually doing it.

In a war with Sitting Bull for a long time and the game forces me to make peace. Doesn't even "ask" me...it just does it (no cut to the diplo screen or anything).

This can happen as a result of my modified Great Mediator event. In vanilla, if the AIs get this event for a human player they're at war with, the human player still gets to decide whether to accept the mediated peace or not even though it was the AI's event. (The human player also gets to make this choice if they got the event instead, obviously.)

I decided not too long ago (probably in v3.5 but I'd have to check) that this was unfair, so I changed it: the AI can force peace with you if they want to when they get this event now, just like you can force peace with them if you get the event.

It's not as big a deal as it seems though, since you can always just re-declare war 10 turns later or whatever. There's a short delay and an additional diplomacy penalty with other civs potentially, but AIs can benefit from all other events in the game so why not this one? :)

Also, I got circumnavigation....without actually doing it.

Circumnav is a complicated subject. I improved it back in v3.5 as much as I could, but it's still based on the vanilla system which has never required "actual" circumnav'ing, ie a single specific ship physically travelling across the width of the map. Nope, that was never how it worked. What vanilla did was simply check if you had revealed at least one tile in every vertical column of tiles in the map; they didn't even have to be contiguous reveals.

A great way to cheat and get it for free almost immediately was just to trade lots of maps, pretty much. This is why I implemented some restrictions on how map trading works, as well as blocking water tiles that are parts of lakes from counting toward achieving circumnav. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better in MM than it is anywhere else, heh.

Top Bottom