[RR] Railroads Bugs or Glitches? Post here.

I've pretty much given up playing the game it crashes so often. Looking forward to the patch (thanks for the link Iznogood).

After I instal the game I get a error message saying Missing file Dll /G or something like that. I can launch the game and play fine. Kinda strange. This is the retail version not the demo. Win XP Pro SP2 Geforce 7800GS CO Audigy 4 2 gigs of XMS Ram. Video drivers 9.47 win xp pro updated. No fire walls. No Norton. Tried to reinstal got the same error. Thanks

i have found two types of crashes in my game.

1. in the first scenario one of the winning condition is building a steel mill in new york and delivering 100 car loads from there. while new york already had an automobile factory. so when i purchased a new train delivering coal to the steel mill in new york(i first built the steel mill there), the game crashed. same thing happened in second scenario only the city was different.

2. now there was this one train taking cattle from one place to another lets say from A(cattle ranch) to B(factory). now when i did this, the train was already loaded from A and had just started moving towards B. at that time i went to the change consist option. deleted B, and i put in a new stop C(which also had a factory) and changed the consist a little bit and added another stop taking the food from C to another place.. when i pressed ok the game crashed.

Game crashes really are very irritating. after you ave built a gr8 empire. and theres no autosave......

moreover i hate it that we cannot connect our rail lines to other players rail lines. i think that shud be allowed.....

I now see why auto save was put into this :p

its awkward to see my train flying across the screen faster than all the other trains and hover over one stations tracks and then slowly get back on it and give me my money...any one else see these flying trains before? last time I checked 500 tons of steel can't fly

Only one crash for me in about 6 hours play.

One problem I found was when I made a track that looped into a large circuit. This was in the France scenario.

Tried to route a train from A to B. When it got about half way, it decided it didn't like that idea and turned itself around. It went back a little way and then turned itself around again. It kept on doing that ad nauseum.

Now I know better than to do make tracks that loop.

Really the looping problem is so annoying. I was playing the Britain scenario. Go lots of gold from arms when suddenly the income dropped to zero for a few years!! When I checked, the trains are looping and looping the whole years trying to get to the station. I really hope AI should be improved further. My last resort is to scrap all trains and start a new fleet!

I do get a few crash. Before it was hard crash when I was forced to restart. Lately, CTDs happen sometimes. Lagging also happen sometimes

I have XP Home, dual core 2.8 G and 6600 Nvidia card.

My trains will stop at a station and just stay there.

It will even happen to me and the Computer when I'm playing against 1, 2, or 3 computer AI's.

Hey there,

I must be doing something wrong here. If I lay a track between 2 cities for, say, passengers and stick a train on it, most of the time the train just sits there at the station losing money. Sometimes it'll load up, offload passengers, return and just sit there again. Also, sometimes, if I put more than one carriage, the 1st will load but not the next. I haven't checked "wait for full load" either.
Any help you could give would be great as I cannot do anything here.
Terrible, terrible game.
Cheers,
Mark

Thats one of those glorious Bugs. It's happened to me a few times. Some times just closing the game, rebooting do the trick, other times I've uninstalled and reinstalled (twice now).

It's extreamly aggrivating and horrible that this game is like that. It's a huge dissapointment.

Besides the normal crashes that usually occur when changing consist on routes, or heaven forbid, adding new depots to existing routes, I got a C++ illegal shutdown error after merging an AI in a pretty complex (5000+ miles of track) game.
Can you imagine? They wrote this game in c++??? The way it plays I figured VB6 tops..:)

I've played for hours with no crash on patch1.01 but then all of a sudden (poof) then crashes might happen within minutes.
I changed video cards from a Nvidia 7600gs to an ATI 850XT and after serveral hours no crash. Most would occur while changing routes are connecting new track or doubling/tripling.

Check your Taskmanager after shutdown, I've found SMRailroads.exe still running and will not kill.

I have a problem with my mouse cursor only appearing when I move it around.

I have a Logitech MX518 mouse with the latest drivers, my graphics card is an Nvidia Geforce 6800 GS which should be freshly updated aswell.

Can anyone point me to the right tree as to how I can fix this? I'm aching to try out this game since I was an ardent fan of the original some time back, and just watching the intro made me all antsy to start playing.

I had several problems ranging from graphics glitches to CTDs when I first got the game a few weeks back. My video card is an old Nvidia 5200 (barely in spec) so I turned the graphics way down. Didn't help, still crashed often and the scrolling was awful, spastic and uneven.

I shelved the game until the patch came out. Installed it and that addressed a lot of the graphics errors but the game still crashes to the desktop with depressing regularity.

Some examples of gameplay that result in CTDs:

1) Merging in another railroad is usually the end of life. Every time I try to change the consist on one of the newly acquired trains, the game crashes.

2) Had a game crash when I upgraded from a depot to a station on a newly-acquired line from a former competitor.

3) The graphic overload in the late game is maddening. Tracks disappear from sight as do trains and I can't make hide nor hair of what's going on. The game is glitchy at that point and even common actions like modifying consists cause a CTD.

4) I had another CTD in the UK scenario while trying to add a third spur in London to handle additional traffic from Birmingham and Manchester. Just a simple doubletrack for the spur and add a connection to the mainline caused the CTD.

In some cases, saved games cannot be reloaded successfully because they fault soon after beginning the load sequence. The save file is either corrupted or the game itself is buggy or both.

I've yet to successfully complete a scenario because the late game gameplay is too buggy. That irritates me as I've been a fan of Railroad Tycoon and its successors for years. My advice to the stout of heart is: if you see disappearing rails and weird graphics problems, save and then retire because, if my experience is any measure, a CTD is heading your way.

I guess I'll put the game back on the shelf and hope for another patch to address these issues and the others mentioned in this thread.

Good luck and happy railroading.

One 'possible' reason for 'some' CTDs may be programs in the background. Now I did not say 'all'. My play smoothed out alot when I shut down Zone Alarm and another part of a program I never thought of...my Nero was running 4 things in the background, one was to see if I was watching any movie I had downloaded so it could ask if I wanted to record it:rolleyes: . Look at your Windows Task Manager under Processes. Also run Adaware, Spybot and AVG (or programs like these) to see if there is any garbage in the background. You might try a blank HD with no others in the system, load Windows and any "needed" software and see if it runs any better. One morning around 5:30 I got kicked off 3 times in a row. I suddenly remembered that my anti-virus program was scheduled to run at 5:30 every morning:D .

:scan: NOTICE!:scan: This is NOT the answer to all problems and may not help solve any and all problems so please don't attack me. It DID work for me.

i had my first crash this evening ... the game had never crashed even once for me in the past. not sure what caused it but i rebooted and everything went fine for the rest of the evening

i saw one very blatant bug though which i've never seen before... the AI layed down track that directly crossed over one of my tracks without any bridge... i only saw it once but it was quite a thing to see... my track was flat and level with the ground, no tunnel or anything. he layed his right across mine... sort of like a plus sign intersection...

There is another patch out and a holiday senerio. I have never seen that bug.

Top Bottom