1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Build a Better Rome: A New Rise of Rome Scenario

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Gaius Octavius, Mar 24, 2007.

1. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

> Keep in mind that this isn't supposed to be as huge a mod as, say, RFRE

Yeah, RFRE is going to be at least 60 megs :( The plan is for 95&#37; of the graphics to be in the first release, and then many <500k (map+python+xml only) patches to get everything worked out.

It would be really great if there were era specific graphics modpacks/libraries which could be installed separately, and then added to the various paths so that mods could share these on the disk. That would make all mods smaller.

2. Sebiche

Sebiche is better than you

What I came up with, is that each civ has a unique unit which is its line of great general. example

Greece:
    Unique Unit: Phalanx, Greek Great General

and as that unique unit, it could have its own special names.

see? if you think hard, no SDK is needed!

3. Sebiche

ROMAN REPUBLIC TO FALL!! (or maybe till 300AD, not that far out)

4. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

All right, this is what I have so far for the rule changes. This combines aspects of Rise of Rome, Greek World and a little of TAM. Too bad there aren't very many ancient graphics available in the file database.

If you see any major omissions feel free to say so. :)
    (The units include the relevant upgrades as you go along the tech tree. Note that I can do more; these are only the ones for which I have unique graphics.)

Unit List

Rome
    Legionary
    Roman Auxilia Cavalry

Greek City-States
    Phalanx (Vanilla Unit, with special bonus against cavalry)
    Hoplite (a more general Greek soldier w/o the mounted bonus; graphic by sepamu92)

Macedon
    Hypaspists
    Companion Cavalry
    Peltast
    Prodromoi
    Hoplite

Persia
    Immortal (foot soldier, not the vanilla mounted one; by Rabbit, White)
    Scythe Chariot (by C.Roland)

Celts
    Celtic Chariot
    Gallic Warrior

Egypt
    Egyptian Archer
    Ptolemaic Hoplite
    Egyptian Axeman

Carthage
    War Elephant
    Numidian Cavalry

Religions

Mesopotamian Polytheism
    Greek Mythos
    Egyptian Polytheism
    Zoroastrianism
    Judaism
    Christianity
    Celtic Myth/Druidism

Civilizations

Roma
    Macedonia
    Greek City-States
    Persia
    Aegyptus
    Carthago
    Germani
    Britannia
    Gaul/Celts
    Etruria
    India?
    Iberian Tribes?

For technologies, I will largely be using the Civ 3 Rise of Rome techs, with some from the Fall of Rome if we go that far. If I do the full history, I'll also fill in the timeline between 100 AD and 350 AD with new techs.

The only building I am considering adding right now is the baths, if I can get the graphic from Grave (if he ever made it for his mod). I may borrow a few others from Greek World / Rise of Rome if people want them.

5. Sebiche

eh, hoplite are the guys that form in phalanx, so take that one out.

6. ohcrapitsnico

ohcrapitsnico Deity

I agree completely, thats why I'm working on a huge project on doing the middle ages scenario from C3C except adding china, india, southeast asia, and much of africa. I want to make it really accurate and in depth so I've been researching for the past 4 months.

On topic, this looks really promising and I agree the warlords scenario was completely unsatisfying and I look forward to your finished work. If you don't mind me asking, but could you explain the silk and sugar resources I saw in your picture of italy?

7. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

Silk and sugar? :confused: I don't recall adding any of those. Perhaps it's a resource I changed?

@Sebiche:
    I was thinking of making a better distinction between normal Hoplites and the specialized Phalanx unit, even though the former actually made up the latter. Sort of like in Rome: Total War. There is phalanx and there is the hoplite. Not every hoplite can form a phalanx. Alternatively, perhaps it would be better to make this a promotion. I don't know; I just like to use all the graphics. :D

EDIT: Ah, I just looked in the worldbuilder. I don't really know why that's there. I don't even remember where I got this map, but rest assured there are still quite a few issues to be addressed before finalizing anything, including the anomalous resources. Most of them, like coal, will be disabled anyway.

8. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Isn't Pink Tilapia still working on the conversion of his awesome Civ3 Rome scenario? Something like RFRE was the name.

Have you thought what map to start building on?

9. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

@GoodGame: Yes, I already have an extended European map (Spain to Persia, Egypt to Scandinavia) which should be very good.

The more I've thought about it, the more I realize it would be better to wait until BtS comes out before I do this. People would be more likely to play a Roman scenario in BtS since there presumably won't be one with it, as that was already done in Warlords. And if there is, well, mine would be redundant wouldn't it? ;)

Plus, it would save me the trouble of having to update it later and there'll be more leaders/civs I could use. (Boudicca, Justinian...) So now I'm leaning toward waiting.

10. John_Deere

John_Deere Nothing Runs Like A Deere

Personally, I think that it would be better to do a Roman Republic mod, from 500 - 30 BC. Extending the scenario out to 300 AD would exponentially increase the amount of work needed. You might want to look into adding Numidia as a civilization, as it prevents Carthage from amassing a huge empire in Africa and gives Rome another civ to deal with. Then again, if you want to keep it simple, then the mod could do without. I think that it would be a good idea to add a foot auxilia soldier as a unit for the Romans. One of their most remarkable feats was to bounce back from crushing defeats with what seemed an endless supply of Italian Allies. I think it would be good to have this along with the mounted unit to provide the Romans with a mobile force.

Other than that, the mod looks promising, and certainly has a niche to fill. If you are going to wait for BtS, then I recommend that you continue to flesh out the various parts of the mod that you want to have, so come July you can immediately implement them. It would be nice to see how this progresses

11. ohcrapitsnico

ohcrapitsnico Deity

I suggest finishing research and planning for the mod in the mean time so that when bts comes out all you have to do is plug stuff in. Of course that is if you haven't already done so.:)