1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

build Ironclad units since loss of oil?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by M37, Jan 5, 2006.

1. M37

M37 Warlord

I have an odd question.
    Supose I have the tech for battleships and then lose my only oil deposit.
    besides for messing with my plans does it mean I'm out of fighting ships. or can I go back to Ironclads or am I out of ships since I'm past such old ships?
    Anyone know?

2. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

You should be able to build ironclads or frigates, but they won't do you much good against enemy battleships.

3. Toshiro126

Toshiro126 Warlord

If you are going to try to use Ironclads against modern ships, you will need to build a LOT of them....

4. Hergrom

Hergrom Bushido Master

You can also build some ships (maybe destroyers and subs) with Uranium too.

5. Jantis

Jantis Chieftain

According to the civilopedia I have access to from work (which may be out of date), all modern naval units will run off of uranium. I thought destroyers could be built without oil, but I guess not. Maybe that was a bug that got fixed.

Remember, too, that an ironclad requires coal. Several of the older ships also require iron.

6. DangerousMonkey

DangerousMonkey Warlord

Loosing oil basicly means you loose the game (unless you're going for a cultural vicotry or something). You need that oil back. Until you get it I guess you may as well just build gallons. Ironclads and Frigates just won't stand up to modern ships at all, your only chance is to try and avoid them if you try and move across the seas.

7. BlizzardGR

BlizzardGR Prince

Those Ironclads and frigates don't stand a chance against battleships! Even subs can't to a lot agaist those floating castles! Better get that oil back before you are out of modern ships (if you aren't already).