Build the Great Library?

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
We have researched Literature and have a Great Wonder partially built. (Mausoleum of Mausollos, 5 turns from being done). We can divert the work already done to construction of the Great Library. The beauty of this would be our scholars could get all the knowledge of the evil Fomorach without any need to dirty ourselves by trading with them.

What say you, Hibernia?

I agree. Let us switch to the Great Library on the pre-turn. I'd be happy if Hibernia owned the GL, but I believe the Military wants to switch to The Great Lighthouse later. I'd still vote for the Great Library later.

In Maeve, our people have accepted that we can't build the great Bronze statue (wouldn't want to be copycats) and wholeheartedly approve of turning the preliminary digging into the foundation for a Great Library.

Tech and Trade Minister welcomes the idea, even though it may mean he is soon out of a job.

Would this imply making a beeline for Military Tradition in the Middle Ages?

The Great Library will take 27 turns to build in Maeve.

If we raise the lux rate and put the entertainer in Maeve to work, it can be done in 22 turns. :thumbsup:

I must say we must be careful not to count our chicks before they've hatched here.

I'm resistant to reducing the science slider too much just yet as we're still 27 turns away from the Great Library.

With at least 2 nations already working on what could end up being a prebuild for a Great Library if they get Literature.

The Byzantines and English are racing for the Pyramids, once one finishes the project the other will switch to an alternative wonder.

The Pyramids cost 400 Shields to Build, (NOTE: This is the same cost as the Great Library). So they potentially may be far ahead of us on building the Great Library. Our only saving grace at the moment is neither have Literature.

The English are 2 techs away (requiring Writing), but the Byzantines are only 1 tech away (requiring Literature itself). As far as we know the Byzantines might already be working on Literature, and if they get Lit and then the English get the Pyramids our Great Library may not be quite as secure as we might think.

However, in the end this means the quicker we finish the Great Library the better our chances... as such... playing with the Lux rate (which would require some playing with the Science rate to make it economical) to maximize production might be ideal. (Just as Cyc Proposed)

EDIT: That also raises the question... is it practical to drop a Worker into Maeve in order to increase population and as such production to speed up the Great Library? I have a feeling since they're on the edge of rioting as it is it might do more harm then good (at least might require another 10% to Luxury rate), but it's worth looking into.

Last edited:
The Temple gives us 1 happy, the Incense gives us another and 10% lux gives us a 3rd. That means we'll have room for 6 citizens without riots. We have 5 now. If a new citizen goes to the forest, there will be no growth. I'm for adding a worker.

@ Falcon02 - Our Science rate is already at 30%. Dropping it to 20% is not a major adjustment. We'd still be doing ok.

@ TheOverseer714. With the recommendation I made, you would have growth. Maeve would grow in twenty turns. The GL would be due in 22 turns. It would be better NOT to add a worker to the population, as the city would grow to fst and become unhappy, making the 10% lux increase useless.

Adding a worker to work another forest would cut about 4 more turns off with no growth (size 6). One of our other cities with more surplus food could then build a replacement worker.

Guess I didn't see that. Sorry. Go for it.

Top Bottom