Builder policy micromanagement

Ansive

Prince
Bad micromanagement is a killjoy in this game.

When I need builders I do two things before switching to serfdom:
- gather gobs of gold to rush buy builders
- sync multiple cities to train builders (which is a huge pain)

Training them to 1 turn in multiple cities is tedious. Worse then prechopping forest used to be (without mods)...
Sometimes I even forget about them and they remain at 1 turns for ages.
Also, postponing my next policy change for that one straggler city to finish its builder also sucks. (incremental build costs...)

Why not instead have "separate" units in your production queue (3 charge builder, 4 charge builder, 5 charge builder).
When you switch to serfdom you would have access to train 5 charge builders. If you switch out of serfdom, you should still be able to continue training the 5 charge builder.

This would be a great quality of life improvement in my book.

Are we talking infinite build queues as in CQUI? If so, you should only be able to build a single extra charge builder after switching away from the policy. Otherwise you can bet I will loadddd my production queue with 20 of those darn things and then stick district projects, units or buildings as a buffer, and then when ever I wanted a builder, I'd take one from my huge stockpile and move it to the top of the production queue. Would mean the policy would change from "2 extra charges while you have this policy" to "2 extra charges after you use this policy once for a single turn"

No queues. And a restriction could be that switching away from training the builder would lose you the extra charges (commitment). So this should allow all your cities that started to train a builder during the policy, to actually finish it.

A question would be if switching to the policy should also upgrade your currently training builders with extra charges. I'd lean towards no. But you should also be able to start a fresh builder if you want (delete current project).

1. Switch to policy, start 5 builders. 3 turns later slot out the policy (some will still min max to 1 turn). 10 turns later last city finishes training a builder.
vs
2. Start training builders in 5 cities. Check each turn the training progress. Switch them out when they are 1 turn away. Once all cities are ready activate the policy and try to finish the builders. Notice how half fail to train the builder due to increasing costs. Wait another turn to finish. Slot out the policy.

I just think the first scenario is less stressful.

Top Bottom