1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Building improvements in other civ's territory (Civ 5)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by iammaxhailme, Feb 19, 2021.

1. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I remember back in the day, me and a friend played a Civ 5 game where I build my unique improvement in thier land. This was years ago.

However I am playing a game now (Just with AI) and I can no longer do this. It says you can't build an improvement outside of your territory. I have open borders with the civ. The same thing is also happening with city states that I am allied with. Does anyone know if this is something that was adjusted in a patch, or could it be a mod doing it? I'm using tons of mods. I can still build roads/railroads, but not farms, my unique improvement, etc.

2. aafritz17

aafritz17 Moderator Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

Correct, you can't improve tiles outside your own borders. You CAN build roads, and I think forts (not sure, rarely build them) outside your territory.

3. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

You can also pay a CS to improve a lux

4. dasaard200

dasaard200 Prince

In my current game, as Elizabeth, I DW'd the Ottomans, took their capital and then Declared Peace [DP'd] (on a large Inverted Earth map) .
    I have filled my end of the eastern African Ocean to the Proto Tibetan mountain range; which is why I took on the Ottomans to "turn the northern corner" of the map ... to get to Alex's Greece . mines
    While I was DP'ing the Ottomans (who still HAD 6 cities); Alex got frisky and DW'd the Ottomans taking 5 cities in a few turns . Liz and Sulliman quickly did Embassys and Open Borders; as I DW'd Greece to aid my ally .
    My workers have been able to repair farms, and build/repair roads in the re-conquered areas .

5. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

You've always been able to repair outside your territory. Common "cheat" is to put a worker under a combat unit while attacking a city, combat unit takes damage, combat unit pillages tile for healing, worker then repairs pillaged improvement/route so combat unit can pillage it again to heal

6. slavaskii

slavaskii Chieftain

Portugal can build their Feitoria within the borders of other city-states. Was this perhaps what you were thinking of?