Building Lower Class Units

[EC]Eternal

Chieftain
Hi Im really enjoying the mod just wondering after researching a better tech unit is there anyway to still use build the old one.

the reason is i like a mix of mostly swordsmen and elite units in my armies however after i get champions i cant build swordsmen anymore :(.

is there anyway to make it so i can still build swordsmen even tho i have the better unit?

You can't build any unit once you can build all of its immediate upgrades....

...unless the unit's xml define has <bNeverObsolete>1</bNeverObsolete> instead of <bNeverObsolete>0</bNeverObsolete>

I find obsolescence annoying, so I tend to use Replace All to make no unit go obsolete.

...unless the unit's xml define has <bNeverObsolete>1</bNeverObsolete> instead of <bNeverObsolete>0</bNeverObsolete>

I find obsolescence annoying, so I tend to use Replace All to make no unit go obsolete.

I agree that obsoleting the lower units is a pain. I hate it when the Soldiers of Kilmorph are obsoleted for example as I miss their ability to hurry production when you have the ROK as your religion.

I think there actually are a few units that are not obsoleted. Adepts come to mind after you have discovered Sorcery, but they may be a special case as they need to reach a certain level before they can be upgraded. I think there may be a couple more, but the point is well taken by the Magister.

I think there actually are a few units that are not obsoleted. Adepts come to mind after you have discovered Sorcery, but they may be a special case as they need to reach a certain level before they can be upgraded. I think there may be a couple more, but the point is well taken by the Magister.

Units with upgrades with level requirements don't meet this requirement, because you can never build those upgrades.
All other units that don't go obsolete have this tag.

It's more realistic though. I mean, if you were in the US army, and then I start handing out AK-47's once you arrive in Iraq due to budget cuts, you'd not be very willing to fight, now would you?

thanks its not about having the cost of upgrading i always want basic units like swordsmen for each faction just feels better

The Calabim are the ones that annoy me. I believe the bloodpets never obsolete, but moroi do once you've got vamps. The moroi make such great fodder though, especially with their burning blood ability. I think that any unit with special abilities shouldn't go obsolete.

I want my 1/turn warrior to drown but after an archery range and training yard i can't drown them anymore :-(.

All easily fixed by changing <bNeverObsolete> to 1

(In my version, you can drown any living, non-immortal melee unit. I made Drowns unbuildable and took away their ability to upgrade, but made thier strength be based on that of the unit that was drowned. Drowned Phalanxes are quite nice. Plus, I made it so that their inability to enter Oceans is only until you have Malevolent Designs.)

The reason for obsolecence is to prevent a 'Human wave' type scenario. Primarily it's a vanilla Civ 4 thing where hammers ramp up behind you, but it also comes into play for FFH. Like it was said, Bloodpets don't go obsolete but morio do. This is to prevent you from spamming fodder units and over running any but the best defense with oh say, Workshops+Guild of Hammers+Tower of (cant remember, its the hammers one).

Units going obsolete is probably an issue for leaders with that trait that gives +50 starting gold and -50% upgrade costs. If units didn't go obsolete, it would make that trait much more useful.

Ingenuity is the trait you're thinking of.

Didn't they used to have it fixed so that nothing went obsolete way back before BtS?

Note really. At that point, lots of units upgrades to "Sir Not Appearing in this Mod," which required TECH_NEVER. When they moved to BtS, they instead created the <bNeverObsolete> tag instead. They should probably use this tag a little more than they do.

You should at least get the unit you started building before it became obsolete. Sometimes the lower level unit has multiple upgrade paths and the "new improved" unit can't take the other path.

Top Bottom