[Building, medieval] Brewery [05/21/06]

Duke van Frost

Lunatic Killer Robot
This is my first building for cIV and also the first model I´ve ever done with 3dsMAX - so please be patient :D

Rendered.jpg

As you can see it´s supposed to be a brewery (thx to C. Roland for the inspiration that came from his one)

Preview Brewery.jpg

The scale in the XML is set to 1.0 in the screenshots.

The files:

View attachment Brewery.zip

Update:

added a button to post #13

Next thing I want to do is to give it some effects if it is used as an improvement and the tile worked by a citizen (light in the doors/windows and some smoke coming out of the chimney).
So If anybody could give me some hints on how to do it I´d be very happy - your help would be very much appreciated here :goodjob:

This is completely awesome Duke! Really great job :goodjob:

Only thing I would say is that you probably could've gotten a way with 8 sides for the barrels :), oh and see if you can add a smoke to the chimney (using NIF viewer).

If this is your first ever model in max then I can't wait to see what you'll do next.

Great first model Duke. :D

Maybe we can convince you to do some sci-fi stuff too!

thx guys :D

Rabbit said:
Only thing I would say is that you probably could've gotten a way with 8 sides for the barrels :)

The barrels are that small ingame that it wouldn´t matter, I think. And I wanted to start my modelling efforts with a "keep the polys as low as possible" spirit, so the five-sided barrels were just right to test how objects of this sort do look with the right skinning

Rabbit said:
oh and see if you can add a smoke to the chimney (using NIF viewer).

Duke van Frost said:
Next thing I want to do is to give it some effects if it is used as an improvement and the tile worked by a citizen (light in the doors/windows and some smoke coming out of the chimney).
your help would be very much appreciated here

So... If you could explain me how to do it I´d be very happy, because otherwise I´ll have to find out how to do this by myself and I think this will be much harder than doing this simple model and skinning it.

woodelf said:
Maybe we can convince you to do some sci-fi stuff too!

That will surely be possible, just try it! (as in "do request something" ;) )

I hope in that way you´ll not be as disappointed for only getting the second reply :p (congrats Rabbit, I think that was a harder piece of work than doing all your great Units :clap: )

Duke van Frost said:
So... If you could explain me how to do it I´d be very happy, because otherwise I´ll have to find out how to do this by myself and I think this will be much harder than doing this simple model and skinning it.
Sorry, missed that :) Unfortunately I can't offer you any concrete advice as I haven't dealt with buildings extensively but your best bet would be to open up one of the vanilla buildings that have chimneys with smoke and see how they've done it. You could probably just copy the smoke effect from one of those into your building.

You might also be able to do it similar to units, i.e. in the max scene create a dummy where the smoke should be, call it the same name as a similar dummy from a vanilla building, and then use its animations. Speaking of which, the windows and other stuff "turning on" when the tile is worked, I've no idea how to do that and I don't think there's any documentation on that. You'll probably need to use an animation (if such exists) from some vanilla building to do that.

You can alternativeley add the Effect directly when you do the animations in 3dsmax. As you are already working with it it should not be to hard.
To place an effect add a dummy box and go to the notetrack of the box. (right klick on the box and there you can somewhere select it - took me ages to find this one :()
Now add a note to the track called "EFFECT:SMOKE" or something at the timesteps of your active animation. If you define now an smokeeffect (e.g. using the existing chimney smoke) in your CIV4EffectInfos.xml that effect will be played during the active animation and the location of the effect will be your dummy box (which you would place at the chimey of course).

For the Lights: Define a new mesh (in the windows) and set its emissive color to maximum (in the material or later in the nif viewer). Now you add an visibility track to that mesh (somewhere in the animation trackbar at the bottom you can do this) and make the mesh invisible during standard animations and visible for your active animations)

You'll need 4 Animation sequences for the building as improvement. (You'll have to look up the eventcodes in existing improvement .kf files).
Note: All things you do by animations will only show for resources and improvements, not for city buildings!

Edit: Note to R.W. you can simply add the Chimey smoke-Effect (from your art/effects folder) via nif viwer. Than the smoke will always be visible even as buildings (did this for one building). You will see no on off active/inactive effects through.

I think a brewery would do best if someone created a new resource (hops) if it were to be used in a mod; more accurate and less of a dilemma for players (beer or bread!? My god!). Just a thought.

Psycadelic_Magi said:
I think a brewery would do best if someone created a new resource (hops) if it were to be used in a mod; more accurate and less of a dilemma for players (beer or bread!? My god!). Just a thought.

It seems like we´ll definitely have barley (instead of hops) in the WHFB mod! It was already in the first alpha.

Top Bottom