[GS] Building on GS and human-environment interaction – my accumulated ideas

cwake

Chieftain
This is my magnum opus of Civilization 6 amateur ideas/suggestions on climate change mechanics. I started this shortly after Gathering Storm was released and I loved it but wanted more. At the time I was reading a book on methods of climate change mitigation (Downdraw by Paul Hawken). The goal of these ideas was to be more accurate to the science, with more interesting and early climate choices, but still be intuitive enough to be easily understood. I had these ideas in mind as Civ 6 additions, but now I'd just be thrilled if Civilization 7 has some Gathering Storm elements with improvements.

It is 16.5 pages in the attached Word document, but mostly in bullet format so its a bit shorter than it sounds. But if ain't nobody got time for that, I suggest just skimming the first couple sections, or read the last one (that's my favorite, but its a bit ambitious). There are 8 sections, including the intro.

I've posted this in sections previously on r/civ, but I'm posting the cumulated, final version here so that I can force myself to stop adding to it. But of course I'd love discussion and criticism. I bet you all could think of ways to par some of these larger ideas down to something more manageable but with the core ideas intact.

I hope somebody enjoys it :). I did.

Attachments

• Civilization_Climate_Change_my_ideas.docx
    43.3 KB · Views: 37
I haven't read everything in that Document, but a glimpse at the content tells me that you put a lot of thoughts, Time and Effort to come with that Concept that would fit very well in a Civilization Game. You seem to have thought about most of the Game's Systems/Features that could affect Environment, thus making them much more interacting with the Climate Change Mechanism. Most of Players that have big Ideas don't put much effort into the concept than required for the Idea to to be considered as good or great (like with considering other mechanisms and features of the Game, matching the design of the Civ Games...etc), so most Ideas just remain "interesting". But not this Concept, you made a really good Job!

I'm no Civ Dev to include this in an Official Civ Game, but I like a lot of the Ideas in that Document that I would like to add in a Mod, if I can have your Permission. I'm currently already up to my Ears in a Project of mine (more infos in the signature), but I may include some Ideas from your Concept into it if you don't mind, and maybe when I'm finished with my Project and Civ 7 is still a few Months away, I might make a Mod that focuses on the Future Era, where I can drive a lot of Inspiration from your Concept.

I'm Fan of Dystopias, so I may use the Ideas in your Concept to create a believable cause for a Total Climate Changing Disaster, resulting in an IceAge, an Apocalypitic Age where a Virus is spreading that mutates most of humanity into Zombies (think Resident Evil), or just in a resource deficit with World out of Order, where you have to defend the things you have and fight for the things you want/need. Though, Terrain changing Effects would need a reload of the Game (to change the Terrain Appearance).

Last edited:
that I would like to add in a Mod, if I can have your Permission.

Thanks, Zegangani! It's nice to get a compliment for a fun hobby/obsession. You definitely have my permission to use any of these ideas. I have no ability to make mods, so I'd have a blast if 1% of these ideas ended up in a mod I could play.

Top Bottom