building spaceship parts to 1 turn

gaash2

Warlord
The AI loves to sabotage my spaceship parts.. has anyone experimented with the strategy of building the parts until 1 turn before completion and then launching it all at once? Or does the AI still sabotage while you are building.. can the AI sabotage building progress in the queue but not currently being built?

I think Spaceship parts can only be destroyed when fully complete and then in every city while non-complete-Spaceship parts can only be destroyed by sabotaging the production of a specific city so you definitely make it more difficult for an AI if you don't finish the Spaceship-parts and then finish them all on the same turn. I use that tactic regularly because it has the other advantage, that it's also possible to build Wealth or keep research high in the cities that would finish the SS-parts too early so it's generally simply a good strategy.

I think Spaceship parts can only be destroyed when fully complete and then in every city while non-complete-Spaceship parts can only be destroyed by sabotaging the production of a specific city so you definitely make it more difficult for an AI if you don't finish the Spaceship-parts and then finish them all on the same turn. I use that tactic regularly because it has the other advantage, that it's also possible to build Wealth or keep research high in the cities that would finish the SS-parts too early so it's generally simply a good strategy.

When the AI sabotages it only sabotages what is currently being built or does it sabotage the entire queue? I gotta think it's just what is current but I don't actually know. I'm pretty bad at managing computer espionage I usually just run counter espionage occasionally when I don't just ignore what they do.

Sabotage Production only takes the :hammers: that are already invested into the current build away, so the AIs Spy needs to be in the specific city and then it's a trade of the AIs :espionage: against a loss of :hammers: from the current build. Completed Spaceship parts are different, that's what I wanted to explain. Once a part is complete it can be destroyed by the "destroy Spaceship Part Mission" and it doesn't matter in which city the Spy is. I think AIs are coded to do the destroy Spaceship-part mission more often than the Sabotage Production Mission. I think I only once experienced AIs destroying one of my Spaceship parts, therefore adapted and it hasn't happened again since then.

There's a limit to how long an incomplete item can sit in the build queue before it starts leaking hammers though right?

Sounds like almost finishing a spaceship and leaving it in the build queue is a valid tactic until then. Probs been 5 years since I had a space victory.

There's a limit to how long an incomplete item can sit in the build queue before it starts leaking hammers though right?

Sounds like almost finishing a spaceship and leaving it in the build queue is a valid tactic until then. Probs been 5 years since I had a space victory.

I think it 10t for units and 50t for buildings. (don't know if parts are different from these or which they use)
IIRC it's a very slow decay (1h/turn? does it scale up for more expensive lategame stuff? ) so probably not a concern.

Pretty sure wonders do decay, but just take a lot longer to do so. I know absolutely that National Wonders do, as I often use them for fail gold, so I don't why wonders would not.

I don't know about parts though. Are they technically "projects" as opposed to say a unit or building?

Regardless, I could not imagine holding a part that long that it would decay, as everything goes pretty fast toward the end of a space game.

Top Bottom