Buildings and tile improvements for the next expansion

Tantor

Warlord
Well, I`m not too impressed about CiV, but I believe it is far from broken, so I prefer to make a few suggestions on how to make it better rather than complain.

I would like to see some more buildings and tile improvements and I suggest these:

Tile improvements built by workers:

-Airbase/airport: Increases gold and links cities within 3 hexes to the trade network. Planes may be rebased here.

-Harbor: Increases gold/food: links cities within 3 hexes to the trade network. Speeds up embarkation of land units (no movement cost to (dis-)embark), ships may be deplyed in harbours if the city is landlocked.

-Colony: Makes it possible to use reources outside of a civs border. If the the colony borders enemy civs it will cause great diplomatic tension. May be released as a city state after X turns.

-Outpost: Negates fog of war

Buildings:

- Coastal fortress: increases range and damage vs naval units

-Docks: City may use adjacent river as a road for trade network purposes. If the river is blocked by enemy units or the river passes enemy territory it is considere blockaded.

OK, here`s my suggestions, feel free to comment and add other improvements to the list.

The idea for an airbase improvement seems to be a good one, and I don't see why it shouldn't be included. I'm not so sure about the harbour, and the colony would be a little too much of a break from the game for my liking. The outpost seems rather redundant.

The coastal fortress could be a decent idea to give coastal cities more strength, but I'm not too sure about the docks idea (aren't rivers already used as part of the trade network?).

The idea for an airbase improvement seems to be a good one, and I don't see why it shouldn't be included. I'm not so sure about the harbour, and the colony would be a little too much of a break from the game for my liking. The outpost seems rather redundant.

The coastal fortress could be a decent idea to give coastal cities more strength, but I'm not too sure about the docks idea (aren't rivers already used as part of the trade network?).

Rivers no longer link cities together as in previous games.

The colony was introduced in Civ 3, but back then it was always better to build a new city. In CiV it would like an oportunity to get access to remote resources without having to expand my borders to the far side...

The outpost was also a Civ 3 feature, but you had to sacrifice a worker to build it, which made it way too expensive.

I totally agree with airbases, at this point air is almost useless without recon abilities and the ability to rebase them to remote areas of strategic value without a carrier. Outposts/radar stations or something for fog of war could be useful too, although you could argue that you could just use a cheap unit there instead.

The colony was introduced in Civ 3, but back then it was always better to build a new city. In CiV it would like an oportunity to get access to remote resources without having to expand my borders to the far side...

. . . and a way to get resources without making Social Policies more expensive or increasing the happiness penalty. They could certainly be useful in Civ V - but too powerful?

. . . and a way to get resources without making Social Policies more expensive or increasing the happiness penalty. They could certainly be useful in Civ V - but too powerful?

Perhaps they would be too powerful, but they will also be prime targets for raids and razings. If you create a colony far away the 1upt will make it hard to defend it, and as I wrote above, colonies should spark diplomatic tension. They could also come with an upkeep or other balancing factors.

Rivers no longer link cities together as in previous games.

In that case, I'd think a better and simpler solution would be to simply make rivers part of the trade network again.

I like the concept of colonies in the game, but I'm not entirely sure that a simple improvement is the best way to achieve this. I think something more complex is called for for such a feature.

The outpost was also a Civ 3 feature, but you had to sacrifice a worker to build it, which made it way too expensive.

What benefit would you get from an outpost that you wouldn't get from plonking a unit in the same place?

Airports, absolutely, and don't forget their air lifting capability.

I think the stock exchange should be changed to be a national wonder once you have a bank everywhere and replaced in every city by a new building: business park.

I have a post about forts here.

Less upkeep and a better line of sight perhaps...?
And it gives my worker something to do.

Ah, I see. I was assuming that these outposts would also have some sort of upkeep. That would make sense after all. Why would it cost to have a unit in the middle of nowhere, but not an outpost?

Top Bottom