1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Buildo-holics anonymous.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by skallben, Dec 15, 2012.

1. skallben

skallben Diplomat

Can't stop friggin' building.
    I wanna fight epic ancient and medieval wars! Kick some ass!
    Just another wonder, they are so sweet. How can I do without them?
    It's not like I don't have an army, I deal with minor civs and so but...I want a real, epic war!!!
    Am I alone?
    It goes like this;
    Oh, stables...optimal production dictates that I build it before units - postpone war.
    Oh, I teched so fast? I actually got a chance on the Oracle - postpone war.

Maybe I'm not so anonymous anymore but my name is Danny and I am a cronic buildoholic.

2. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

just think about this. Let the Egyptian guy next door build 10 wonders. You tech hard into stronger units, and capture his capital. Suddenly you have highest score in the game. The end.

3. black213

black213 Emperor

I play for Cultural victories 80% of the time so I must admit I'm a buildoholic as well.
    Although being a buildoholic is only a good thing for Cultural victories, whenever I try to go for other victories I'm too busy just building buildings and wonders instead of settlers, workers or military.

4. Dentalfury

Dentalfury Warlord

I'll admit that i'm pretty much the same way no matter my victory condition. And I almost always go Tall, even when I have 10+ cities. Not the most efficient, but it lets me work out my latent OCD. :crazyeye:

5. skallben

skallben Diplomat

Of course that's nice when it happens but on big maps those wonders tend to be spread all over the map, on the other side of the continent or on another continent alltogether. But it's a nice thing with freebees isnt it? When AI sit and spam wonders you can usually fart yourself through the gate and take that humongous city and plunge your civ into unhappiness.

Trying to battle my latent OCD with it :p
    I must admit I build less stables now than I used to. And less gardens.

6. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

On the contrary, by the time I take an enemy capital that has managed to spam a significant number of wonders, they are also usually chock full of other great buildings, many of which survive its capture and often negate most of the puppet unhappiness. Or you can annex it shortly and buy all the happiness bldgs you need in it. It's the scad of lesser cities, many of which come into your possession with zero happiness bldgs in them, that can really mess you up if you don't do things right.

7. buchengshi

buchengshi Warlord

You're not allowed to win unless you have every building in every city. That last spaceship part is gonna have to wait a few turns (possibly a bunch of turns) before it can launch.

8. Cicerosaurus

Cicerosaurus Emperor

A player after my own heart. I don't win often but I enjoy my games.

Just....one....more...Wonder.....

9. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

I agree with this.

10. NorthNovas

NorthNovas Chieftain

OMG I am playing Simcivilization!! :eek:

I am glad I am not alone from the OP. I have to say this ends up being my playing style and holds me back from going to the higher levels. Though I can't find better entertainment value for my money!

11. dac050

dac050 Warlord

Wow, I thought I was bad. :) My cure for this is to ally as many militaristic CS as possible. I build buildings, they give me military units. If you can manage 2 militaristic CS, you can have a pretty respectable army.

12. loserforsale

loserforsale Chieftain

I have the same thing. I'd also point out that there are some wonders which aren't that good for capturing - the Great Library, for example, is only worth +3 science once built, and the Oracle isn't even good for that, while the Hanging Gardens are just increasing the size of a puppet when you could be using the happiness they consume to have normal citizens. There are loads that are of significantly reduced value when captured - Alhambra, Hagia Sophia in Vanilla/Leaning Tower, Louvre, Grand Mosque of Djenne, (I presume, never having got very far in G&K due to technical problems) the CNN Tower...

13. mrscotty

mrscotty Chieftain

Conversely, I have chronic wonder envy. Someone next to me builds a wonder I covet? Diplomacy be darned, I don't care if I'm friends with them, they're friends with everyone in the world and everyone will DOW me if I invade, I WANT THAT SISTINE CHAPEL GIVE IT HERE.

14. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Oh, so that's why The Great Library, the Oracle, and the Hanging Gardens don't exist anymore. They weren't worth anything to the wide empires that captured them.:crazyeye:

15. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

Not sure if that comment was just tongue-in-cheek or not, but in case it wasn't, the reason those no longer exist is due to wars, razings, time, natural disasters, etc. Pillagers and barbarians seldom hold much reverence for the great buildings of their fallen enemies.

16. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

Yeah, great wonders should have a chance (30-50%?) of being destroyed upon capture! :D

17. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I'm totally in this club ... but don't tell anybody.

18. hyden

hyden Chieftain

Agreed. I even found myself building harbors and seaports with no sea resources around me...lol. Stables when the only source are horses being used by my other city...

It bothers me to have unbuilt items in my production menu. I am fighting this cursed diasease...

19. SouljahAtWar

SouljahAtWar Wasteland Souljah

My problem is I build too many troops. My financial adviser stands there is she has this "stop building units, dude... just... stop. :twitch:" look in her face.

20. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Emperor

Great thread... I have this problem. I just keep building and building and building. I usually go to war when I'm attacked first.