1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bulb Paths

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by crashmon, May 4, 2021.

1. crashmon

crashmon Warlord

Hi All

I have been looking in the forums for common bulb paths, but could not seem to find a post on this, even though I'm sure it must be somewhere.. What I am looking for is what to avoid teching / trading, if planning a specific bulb play for the GS......

Generally there are several bulb plays you might encounter in a game

1) Normal one which is the Lib rush (ie Education > Lib)
    2) Iso Astromony rush (avoid Meditation etc)
    3) Engineering Bulb I have seen discussed in some games
    4) Are the others

So having something in terms of what you must not tech / must tech to meet one of the above paths would 100% help me, and probably others new to the game

Do we have anything like this anywhere

2. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Emperor

BUG (or BULL?) adds the bulb preferences of great people to the ingame tech screen, as well as an indicator of which tech they'll bulb after finishing all cued research. I don't know of a clear list/strategy guide on the forums, though...

3. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Buffy (and bug?) gives you this ingame. Thats very neat imho, and what I have always used.
    Nowadays most things seem to be ingrained in the back of my head though. :)

There is alot of complications which make it kind of hard to write out everything.
    For example, when you want to bulb astro you don't want to have philosophy take precedence, but you can get CoL if you just avoid meditation.
    And you can have meditation if only you avoid CoL+Drama.

4. crashmon

crashmon Warlord

I have Bug (not buffy thou, as I play mulitplayer with my brother, and he also has bug but not buffy), Bug shows you little images of all the relevant techs, but they just images, so its not really obvious... However I'll try and put something together when I have time

5. crashmon

crashmon Warlord

The indicator would be enough, I think. Maybe I'm not seeing it correctly, I have BUG + Bull (not buffy though)

6. coanda

coanda Emperor

It's not quite what you're asking for, but the general information needed to work it out would be here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/great-people-tech-prefences.140952/

That's the priority list for bulbs for each Great Person. So you know (for example) that if you want to bulb Astronomy with a Great Scientist you can't have Philosophy as an option because it's higher on the list. Which means you have to avoid at least one of the Philosophy prerequisites.

crashmon likes this.
  7. crashmon

crashmon Warlord

This is perfect from this I can work out what I need to tech / avoid if I want to bulb something in particular. Golden ages was the thing I was doing completely wrong before my shadow games, and as the main purpose of a Golden age is Great People (either for bulb or for acadamys / trade missions), knowing what to tech / avoid in the lead up to the golden age is what I was looking for, and this is perfect for me

8. Whisker

Whisker Chieftain

Attached is an ongoing project of mine.
    Based on link provided by @coanda above, spreadsheet of:
    1. GP tech preference lists fixed so that tech prerequisites are taken into account.
    2. Variations when some tech are avoided.
    3. some common and less common pulping paths.

Word of caution: many of the less common pulping path are of academic interest only and would require very specific starting location to pull off.
    Some of the others, like gunpowder through education are possible to pull off even on deity, but many times conventional strategies are as or more effective and require jumping through less hoops.

Attached Files:

Major Tom, krikav and crashmon like this.
  9. civac

civac Warlord

It's daunting to work out what is possible with GS bulbs since the list encompasses almost all BTS techs.

Realistic and useful potential bulbs include
    Mathematics
    Alphabet

Philosophy
    Paper
    Education
    Liberalism (avoid Machinery)

Optics (avoid Civil Service)
    Astronomy (avoid Civil Service)

Engineering (avoid Fishing, this one is a bit unreasonable)
    Chemistry
    Printing Press

Scientific Method
    Physics
    Biology

There may be more. The first two are useful in no tech trading games where it is customary to completely crash the economy during expansion. Either bulb can then be used to crawl to Currency. Mathematics bulb is also useful for an early Construction attack.

Orion Pax, sampsa and crashmon like this.
  10. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Engi bulb with Civs starting without fishing may sound unreasonable, but it's really good if there's not that much seafood (and cities have other food resis).
    You can also bulb Machinery, let's say you do this with China..Chokus & Trebs early? Game over for AIs :)
    Even gives Pikes as stack defense. Nothing they can really attack.
    One of those rushes that are extremely fun.

Paper is usually weak as bulb, not that expensive.
    Philo excellent (Paci + huge trade value at that time).
    Lib also excellent cos Compass (needed) very often is teched late by AIs, good trade value.

SM only if really needed, 40% discount tech.
    Alpha is bad (always traded by AIs), Maths good as mentioned.

Orion Pax and civac like this.
  11. civac

civac Warlord

Now that I think about it I have seen Lain do the Engineering bulb without Fishing. Without Fishing you are also eschewing easy trade routes and potential island cities. I'm sure there are situations where it's good but the price is significant.

The alphabet bulb is for games without tech trading. The idea is to get the ability to build research and more pre-tech bonus on Currency. I don't necessarily agree it's a good idea but I have seen people do it.

12. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

AZ did most (or all) of those rushes on video back then as well.
    Granted he played a lot quicker than Lain and with less micro, but those videos are still very good.

5tephen likes this.
  13. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Engineering bulb is so powerful that it's a possibility I look for with all non-fishing starting civs.

Another bulb path that is more exotic is gunpowder (somewhat reasonable) and Mil/Sci (likely possible only under extremly favourable conditions).
    Both bulbable if avoiding cs (as that unlocks paper->printing press).

14. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Something I have been curious about for some time. I know that I have seen many others write it too previously, but now I see you @Whisker .
    Why "Pulp"? Is that some lingo thats is residual from some previous civ game that I'm unfamiliar with?

Or is it just some miss-spelling that got a life of it's own somehow?

Nice spreadsheet btw!

15. Qactus

Qactus Romani ite domum

@civac Definitely give the Engineering bulb a try. It is IMO a very special game, because siege units - instead of being disposable - suddenly take center stage, gain City Raider promotions, etc.

This is a very nice deity writeup with an introductory part discussing leaders, etc with Suleiman going Trebs->Jans->Cannons:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/deity-lp-suley-the-ham-man.501267/

And we had some fun here recently in the Imm Cookbook game where we could compare Engi bulb vs. more conventional approaches (Also with Suleiman, PHI and no fishing is just doubly good here):
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/cookbook-discussion-thread-game-a-sillyman.664686/

16. Whisker

Whisker Chieftain

@krikav I think your speculation is spot on. I have simply copied jargon used on these forums and UI for instantly discovering a tech is a light Bulp.

17. Nick723

Nick723 Warlord

I think the bulb/pulp thing is an autocorrect thing?

You type bulb and your device really wants it to be pulp! :crazyeye:

18. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Now that is just pulp fiction :D

19. crashmon

crashmon Warlord

Ketchup :eek:

20. 5tephen

5tephen Warlord

Good to see some love for Absolute Zero. Watching one of his videos of a cuirassier rush raised my game several levels - I was a build every building kind of guy, don’t accumulate unhappy citizens and there he was with 100 turns of whip anger in one city but who cared when he had a huge army in 10 turns and the game was won!