1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Bullfighting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Harvin87, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Harvin87

Harvin87 The Youth

What do you think about it?, do you have any problems with it? ,

Personally I like it and enjoy it very much, I find it beautiful and I consider it an art, there's nothing more epic than the clash between man and bull.

Some of you will think I'm crazy but I find it to be a "just fight", also this bulls have a way better life than any other bull out-there. Millions are spend in between feeding and preparing this bulls for the fight, these bulls are specially breed for this sport.

2. Munch

Munch Benevolent Despot

I've only ever watched it on TV. There is a certain elegance to it that doesn't exist for say, foxhunting, but nevertheless it is a blood sport. You say it is a fair fight but (although I am ignorant of the statistics) I would be very surprised if more than 5% of bullfights resulted in a 'victory' for the animal. It should probably be phased out.

3. Greizer85

Greizer85 Emperor

Well, at least the bulls get some chace to fight back... After all, cows go straight to the grinder. ;) And what is a couple of bulls compared to thousands of cows killed each day? Then again I think all sports are a waste of time if you don't play yourself, and I'd never risk my life in a bullfight, so I wouldn't mind it being banned tbh.

4. G-Man

G-Man A One Man's War

The fact that they're specialy breed doesn't mean they're happier. Race horses are specialy breed and they turned into unbalaced animals prone to injuries.

In any case I find that killing animals for entetainment is immoral. Bullfighting in that sense is no different from the gladiator vs animal battles of ancinet rome, and should follow them into extinction.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

A just fight?

Tell me, how many bulls have died in bullfighting in the last 20 years? And how many bullfighters?

You're gonna give me pretty equal numbers, right?

6. bigdog5994

bigdog5994 Lady Day

i have no problems with the ritualistic slaughter of a bull

if i was a bull that would be the way i would like to go out

7. holy king

holy king Deity

wrong forum, we have a sports sub-forum.

8. dirtyparrot

dirtyparrot Upholding Brannigan's Law

A stupid game imo.

9. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I find it barbaric personally. Though I suppose it's better to be chosen (as a wee calf) to be a fighting bull instead of veal.

10. Karalysia

Karalysia Deity

Bullfighting is barbaric animal cruelty and it should be banned. Along with whaling and hunting for sport.

11. Harvin87

Harvin87 The Youth

I thought it was not considered as a Sport :rolleyes:

12. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

When entering this thread I had exactly these two words in mind.

13. Harvin87

Harvin87 The Youth

c'mon ... do you realize that a bull weights 500 kg (or even more), and it's armed with horns, which are as sharp as a sword? , some bulls reach 1.70 mts tall. But yes, just was not the right word... but bullfighters risk their lives each and every time they go into the arena, the danger is real.

14. Karalysia

Karalysia Deity

Do you realize the bulls are drugged, and weakened beforehand with barbs stuck into their back to draw blood and enrage them?

15. Death_Machine

Death_Machine Slaytanic Warrior

Some would consider it an art.

I have no problem with Bullfights, nor do I have a problem with Cockfights.

I do however draw the line at Dogfights.

16. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

I do not see any elegance in it, but don't care if it exists either. After all i find soccer to be an idiotic waste of time where morons thrive, but it isnt going to go away. Same with bullfighting i guess.

As for cruelty to the animal i am of the view that man is allowed to do anything to animals, unless they are the property of someone else. Personally i would not harm an animal, but if one wants to kill it then it is not my business.

17. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

A previous thread on essentially the same topic:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=327503

My thoughts in a nutshell:

I coudln't agree more.

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, "just" was a bad word for it. "Odds heavily stacked in favour of the bullfighter" is a lot more accurate.

So tell me, how many bullfighters have been killed while bullfighting in the last 20 years? How many bulls?

19. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

If it were really a more even fight, a one on one match between man and bull with both parties injured and drugged equally before it begins, then I might consider it ok. Oh, I guess they would probably have to feed the bullfighter to the cows afterwards if he loses, as I believe the fighting bulls are generally cooked for human consumption afterwards. (Ok, I jest.)

It is not ethical to treat animals more cruelly than is necessary.

While Bullfighting is barbaric, I rather like the idea of Bull Vaulting. I see no need to actually hurt the bull. Charging straight at one, grabbing it by the horns, and launching oneself onto his back to ride it seems far more daring and entertaining.

20. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

There is absolutely theatre involved, and I can see the grace of the (human) performer. If the show was merely that, I would, maybe not call the fight fair, but not think it ritualistic torture.

Of course, I'm about as equally concerned for the bull as I am concerned for the cow that became my dinner and the cow that became my shoes. Well, a bit more since slaughter isn't prolonged torture.