Bullfighting

Yeah, "just" was a bad word for it. "Odds heavily stacked in favour of the bullfighter" is a lot more accurate.

So tell me, how many bullfighters have been killed while bullfighting in the last 20 years? How many bulls?

Horse racing is probably the most dangerous sport involving animals, by a long shot. Well, sports familiar to this westerner. There are some crazy sports out there... goat head polo for instance.

Horse racing is probably the most dangerous sport involving animals, by a long shot. Well, sports familiar to this westerner. There are some crazy sports out there... goat head polo for instance.

Yeah, but the difference is that bullfighting is designed around the torture of the bull, whereas the other ones aren't.

1 vs 1 I would actually support this, I suppose. alas, everything is stacked in favour of the torero.

Spoiler :

Hmm. I would say bull riding myself...

Link to video.

I'm under the impression that bull riding rarely kills riders. There was that rider killed in the late 80s but now riders have vests. Horse Jockeys don't die frequently, but it happens since they're tiny.

From the CDC

* Between 1993 and 1996, 6,545 injuries occurred during official races for an injury rate of 606 per 1,000 jockey years [Waller et al. 2000].

* In a 1987 article, it was reported that more than 100 jockeys have been killed in work-related incidents since 1950 [DeBenedette 1987].

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/HorseJockey/

Preteens can be bigger than jockeys. They're that small.

I would agree on the deaths but not on the injuries.

And guess which animal causes the most deaths per year in the US?

Spoiler :
Average Number of Deaths per Year in the U.S

Bee/Wasp 53
Dogs 31
Spider 6.5
Rattlesnake 5.5
Mountain lion 1
Shark 1
Alligator 0.3
Bear 0.5
Scorpion 0.5
Centipede 0.5
Elephant 0.25
Wolf 0.1
Horse 20
Bull 3

Yeah, but the difference is that bullfighting is designed around the torture of the bull, whereas the other ones aren't.
You know horse racing often involves pushing the horse so quickly that they're bleeding internally from their lungs working so hard right?

me being a long-life bullfighting fan... I can say that one of the most brilliant moments of the "tauromaquia" is when the bull gets forgiven for his bravery... its called "indulto" and then they go back to the fields to run free.

And I want to share an Indulto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQkfgHsyDOo

how is bull fighting any different than hunting?

You don't shoot a deer to watch it run. You place your shot, follow a few minutes later and finish the animal if it's not already dead.

You don't shoot a deer to watch it run. You place your shot, follow a few minutes later and finish the animal if it's not already dead.

ok and people dont watch hunting shows to see the deer die they watch to see the hunters skill

same thing for bullfights

Well the bulls are not wasted, they are eaten, normally donated to orphanages and other such organizations. So I am fine with it.

I fully support people's right to do as they damn well please to animals which they own, without meddling from anyone else.

After all i find soccer to be an idiotic waste of time where morons thrive, but it isnt going to go away.

Interesting view from a European. Don't hear that often. But not surprised you might feel that way.

This thread had me convinced to go against bullfighting at first, buuut, upon looking a bit deeper...

I see no issues with the sport, other than maybe the fact the bull is killed, but even then, as was said, the body is not wasted and is at least eaten. There's a lot of people who don't do that and instead leave the corpse there to rot.

Of course, even with subsistence hunting... there's some issues, highlighted in: http://www.ranting-gryphon.com/Rants/2rant-hunters.mp3 (warning, foul language)

The best good point is that even hunting for food often is not justified, as there's plenty of meat available at your local grocery store. So an animal still died pointlessly, only except they were killed in a slaughterhouse.

Perhaps if they never killed the animal, it wouldn't be quite so controversial.

But, I believe in priorities. I'll put this next to abortion in "horrible" things that need tackling, but only long after other issues such as pollution, poverty, and hunger(which this sport could help relieve, theoretically), are alleviated.

how is bull fighting any different than hunting?

you don't intentionally drain a couple of gallons of blood from an animal you want to hunt before you take your shot. you shoot to kill.

I'm fine with it. As SG-17 said the bulls killed in this competition are given away to charity so it's not a waste.

If I'm ever in Spain or Latin America and have the chance to watch one I would.

Because a dog is smarter than a bull or a cock.

A dog can be trained.

Mans' best friend, or for Lucy, persons' best friend.

When a majority of bulls can understand their master to the point that they can be trained then I will change my point of view. :king:

Top Bottom