1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Bullfighting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Harvin87, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Holycannoli

Holycannoli Deity

Barbaric, cruel, and it's time it ended. That's what I think about it.

2. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Son of Huehuecoyotl

That's actually a very good point. We should have very different standards for animals that show signs of intelligence than for those who do not. A German Shepherd actually has a smart(for an animal) brain, a cow... not so much.

3. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Amongst other objections raised, theres the different manner of training them. A Bull breed to be a fighting bull is fairly well off, because Bull's are naturally agressive. Dogs, when they fight, naturally don't try and kill each other, they're social animals, and try to establish superiority. In order to get them to be vicious enough, Fighting Dogs are subjected to cruelty at a very young age. Essentially trying to traumatize them into being psychotic.

4. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Eh, not my cup of tea.

And Death Machine makes a good point. Not all animal intelligences are equal.

5. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Son of Huehuecoyotl

I'm just waiting for someone to equate the fact we should treat animals differently based on intelligence a reason to do the same for the mentally ********...

We already do, what with special services, that and we make exceptions - if a bit strange in efficiency terms - for things based on their genetic makeup... i.e. human beings. Regardless if they're Einstein or the drooling lobotomy patient.

6. Death_Machine

Death_Machine Slaytanic Warrior

Well, humans are covered to me the same way that dogs are. Sure some dogs are dumb, but I wouldn't allow any of them to be used in fights.

Some humans are dumb *cough Obama voter cough* but I wouldn't treat them any worse than a genius like myself. :lol:

7. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

Um... Seriously?

So if I live in your neighborhood (so the same laws apply to us, etc), and I buy a cow and put it on fire to observe it being burned alive, you will have NO problem with that??

The point isn't that the animal is killed - it's completely natural and understandable why an omnivorous creature like humans need to kill animals. The point is that the animal is tortured before it is killed! If and when we need to kill, it should be done with as little pain as possible for the victim!

8. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Cheetah, you have very high expectations for how slaughterhouses work. I'm going to leave it to someone else to bring down those expectations.

9. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

I know they are not perfect in any way (neither is the transportation to the slaughterhouse), but the goal is at least to avoid that the animals suffer before they are killed. And measures are taken (albeit slowly) to increase the probability that the animals can die without pain. If you look at the methods used in a slaughterhouse (at least in the West) you will see that all the approved methods have the INTENT that the animal dies instantly and/or painlessly!

Even in whaling (another controversial topic) we are doing the best to make sure the whales die instantly. And currently, we mange that for about 80% of the caught whales.

Bullfighting on the other hand has the intent of inflicting severe stress and pain on the animal before it dies.

It is therefore barbaric and should be stopped - or at least modified (if at all possible)!

10. Death_Machine

IDK, if I were sentenced to death I would at least like some sort of opportunity to take out the executioner. :D

11. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

So... I give you a knife and put you up against 6 fully armed US Marines. Sounds fair? :p

12. Death_Machine

They should only have knives as well................ & for the record, Marines do not frighten me. :lol:

13. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

I should have written "people in good shape who knows something about how to fight" then, it was just easier to write Marines. :p

And 6 vs. 1 isn't a problem either?

And the guns vs. knife was to illustrate the disadvantage the bull fights under. ;)

14. Death_Machine

Fine, people in good shape. Good thing the Marines taught me how to deal with something like that. Of course I would die, but not before taking at least 1 with me! :king:

I think the gun knife analogy is poor.

15. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

Well I can't exactly lobotomize you before the fight, can I?? :undecide:

16. Death_Machine

There are probably a few in here who would argue that I've already had that procedure! :D:lol::D

Anyway, I think a circumstance more similar to bullfighting would be to give me strategic lacerations so that I continue to bleed and over the course of time I would loose more & more muscle control and have slower reactions. This is what happens when the bull is "tortured".

17. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

What I would do is make a mechanical bull which looked and acted realistic. That way both sides could be happy. The animal-rights people who don't like to see the bull killed, and the other people who want to keep the bullfights.

18. Harvin87

Harvin87 The Youth

you're being sarcastic right?? and this is a very bad joke right? .. right? ... is it?

19. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

a little unknown fact is... the same bull never gets to fight twice in a ring...so that the bull can never learn from experience...

20. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

I guess I might, depending on where the wind was blowing.
    Beyond that, if you want to waste a perfectly good cow and don't pollute any place beyond your land, it's none of my business. Why should I meddle?

Those are impossible ethical standards. You may choose to live according to those yourself, but you can only do that because others do not. Ultimately humans and animals are competitors for natural resources, and we kill animals all the time. And in the process we cannot afford such absurdly high moral qualms. Do you kill "pests" (rats, insects, etc - and keep in mind that for farmers "pests" include many other animals, from birds to a wide assortment of mammals)"? Do you kill dangerous wild animals? Is it an accident that the large predators are nearly extinct? Is it an accident that the large herbivores which might compete for the agricultural output are almost extinct?
    It is only natural that the people who perforce of circumstances have to deal with such things and regard animals in a mostly utilitarian point of view will also regard bullfights, for example, as a perfectly acceptable spectacle. And it is also reasonable that others, even "city dwellers", who are aware of that nature of the relationship between animals and humans, also maintain the same point of view.

I do not oppose your personal choice of not wanting to "torture" animals before you kill them. I do oppose any desire to impose such a limit on other people.