1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Bummed about the World Congress proposals being random

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by pokiehl, Jan 11, 2019.

1. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

One of my favorite parts of Civ V was using World Congress proposals as a weapon. The randomization of proposals takes out that extremely fun and strategic aspect of it.

One suggestion I read here was to make 1 of the proposals random and 1 chosen by the leader. That seems like it would have been a great compromise.

I doubt something like this will be moddable, so I'm pretty disappointed.

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Yeah, you lose the strategic use of it against your enemies. But the AI loses the ability to passive-aggressively spam the same resolution (ban luxury) over and over.

And it takes some of the tedium out of the WC as well.

You will probably still find some resolution to harm your rivals or promote your own goals each time, even if you don't plan them in advance.

3. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

I see your point but I'd take the cons there. Ultimately being able to make proposals is a huge part of emergent storytelling for my gameplay and given the focus the devs have made on that, this decision is weird.

4. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Chieftain

Same. It's just a random event now. It was fun in V to get to the point where you could wield the tool that was the WC. Now it's just an intricate popup in a rouge-like game.

You're not really playing against other players anymore if players aren't proposing the resolutions. You're playing against the game now.

Sure, only one person can win the game now, but the game is starting to lean more toward a race instead of a wrestling match. Whoever gets to the goal first wins, but there is less actual interaction with your opponents.

Julia97 likes this.
  5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

If you are roleplaying, you don't have to think of it as random. You could think that these issues are of deep concern to the nations of the world at the time of the session, and it looks to the WC for solutions.

Zaarin likes this.
  6. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Chieftain

Why do we have to take the cons of V into our analysis here? Being terrible in a completely different way is still terrible.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  7. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Chieftain

But I can't roleplay that because I am a nation and I can't propose these resolutions that are of deep importance to the world. So who are these nations with deep concerns and how come I'm not one of them? Am I even really in the game?

It probably fails the most on roleplaying grounds.

8. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

I don't think the actual resolution selection is quite that random - the "category" of the proposal seems to be random, but the within that category there are tons of options that can be chosen, which all have options to 'weaponize' against an opponent.

Given the nature of the AI, and that it looks to only take a plurality of votes among many options, the actual result might be more random. If everyone is voting on 20 different options who knows what comes up top.