1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Burma Campaign 1942-45. Download now.

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by techumseh, Dec 30, 2019.

1. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

2. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

3 years and 3 do-overs. Done at last. Here's the Readme file. I hope you enjoy it.

Attached Files:

Mati1465 likes this.
  3. Patine

Patine Deity

It is here, at last! Festivities and feasting are in order! :)

4. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

I'd hoped to release it before Christmas, but it was not to be. Hopefully folks will still have a little free time to give it a try over what remains of the holidays.

JPetroski likes this.
  5. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Well, my kids are far too young to stay up for the ball drop and I could care less to see it myself. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow night!!!

techumseh likes this.
  6. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

Happy New Year John! :beer:

7. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Nice surprise scen, and the first of 2020! Good work!

8. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

Thanks Ciaran. But it's really the last of 2019. :mischief:

9. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

But for many civers it will be the first played in 2020. :goodjob:

10. gapetit

gapetit Prince

A great gift for the winter solstice. Thank you Techumseh

11. tootall_2012

tootall_2012 Prince

Hi Tech,

I had the pleasure to playtest this scenario and I can say that it is very well made and enjoyable to play. Having read the updated Readme I can see that you have made it even more challenging, with your crafty use of the alternate files, then it already was.

This was probably your most difficult and frustrating project you ever worked on but I believe it was in the end well worth the effort. I highly recommend it to all.

Congratulations!

12. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Happy new year Tech! It must feel as great to succeed after all this effort. Congatulations, my friend, you made it. :thumbsup:

13. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

Thanks everybody. I hope it lives up to your expectations!

14. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Is anyone else getting sound file not supported errors for the Japanese Ki-21 Sally and British 25 pounder?

15. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

The same sounds are used for all level bombers, so if there's something amiss with the wav file, you should also get it when you attack with your Blenheims. Ditto with the artillery sound. The same sound is used for all artillery, including the Japanese.

16. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I'm sure it is a windows 10 bug of some sort... Every darn update something breaks. If a restart doesn't fix the issue I'll just take a moment to swap out a few that dont work and carry on.

17. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

All sounds are working here on my Win7 setup.

18. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Well, if the mark of a good scenario is how many restarts you need before you have a chance with it, I think this could be a classic :goodjob:

Some initial thoughts:
    -I really like the way you set the mood with the sounds.
    -The monsoon terrain graphics are perfect - the map certainly looks "wet and gloomy" and is stark difference
    -I think you've done a great job of doling out units so far so that the turns aren't outrageously long, yet there's still something to do each turn
    -I think it's going to take me several restarts before I get the hang of things
    -This has kind of a Red Front feel to it - I'm glad the Monsoon came and hope it gives me some space to breath. It reminds me of the first Russian winter.
    -Although I've yet to reach them, I'm very excited to play with Corsairs as this is one of the first scenarios I've played that has them (never could convince that mean ol' Curt to put them in his big WW2 scenario ;)
    -I'm not entirely certain what I'm supposed to do with Coolies so I've just been building a lot of roads
    -If you don't want people to disband improvements, why not enforce this via the rules menu given that we can now do this with ToTPP (even without lua)?

My initial strategy was to try and hold Mandalay but that only lasted until turn 10. I think I'm in such a disorganized spot at this point that I might be restarting soon but will see how it goes a bit more.

I'm definitely enjoying it and it has all of the hallmarks of a "Techumseh scenario" which is a good thing - I've always been a fan of your work and style and think it is top notch. Well done again!

19. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

Thanks John. A couple of hints, if I may.
    Spoiler SPOILER ALERT :
    First, getting out of Rangoon with as much as possible. A priority is to save your Stuarts, as they can form the core of your defensive positions later. Second, think defending India rather than defending Burma. a) there's better defensive terrain on the border, and b) the farther back you go, the fewer turns the Japanese have to attack before the monsoon.

20. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

So, while waiting for someone to actually play the thing, I'll post a brief account of my last game. (spoiler: I lost)

It started out well. After waiting for the 7th armoured brigade to arrive in Rangoon, my breakout was successful, and I escaped with most of my remaining force, including all 4 Stuart tank units. I even got a 25 pounder out, which is good, as you often have to sacrifice all 3 to break through the Japanese encirclement. I lost the Flying Tiger unit, but the Brewster Buffalo got away. The Chinese retired north in good order, losing 2/9 infantry and 1/2 artillery units. Joined by Stilwell, they retreated through Myitkyna and Shaduzup and set up a defensive line in front of Ledo. The British rushed back through Mandalay and Kalewa, losing a few units to the Japanese pusuit. They set up a good defensive line in front of Imphal and Kohima, joined by two Indian divisions and Slim. In the Arakan (Bay of Bengal coast), I abandoned Chittagong and set up a blocking position on the river between Chittagong and Comilla. I lost a couple of units and then the monsoon came, halting operations.

Note: the Indian infantry division was the mainstay of the British forces in Burma/India. Each one consists of the following battalion sized units: Indian infantry x6, Gurkha infantry x2, British infantry x1, 25lb artillery x2, Bofors AA x1, Valentine or Grant tank x1.