1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Burma Campaign 1942-45. Download now.

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by techumseh, Dec 30, 2019.

1. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

During the 1943 dry season, things started off badly. The Japanese attacked Stilwell and his Chinese troops in the north and Slim and his Anglo-Indians in the centre. Casualties were heavy, but the lines held. Distracted, I neglected to provide air support to the troops holding the river line north of Chittagong. A heavy Japanese attack broke through and assaulted my southern base at Comilla. In order to restore the situation (the river, with mangrove swamps covering the seaward flank, is the only good defensive position in the south), I had to commit all my bombers, leaving the main Imphal front without sufficient air cover. Losses were severe as a result. I survived until the monsoon, barely holding Imphal and Kohima, but couldn't replace all my losses. Bigger mistakes were to come in 1944.

2. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

During the 1943-44 monsoon, the British received substantial reinforcements, but earlier losses left them weaker than they might have been. In the north, Stilwell received American and Chinese reinforcements, and immediately attacked, recapturing Shaduzup and moving on Myitkyna. After a tough fight, they took Myitkyna, but were heavily defeated by a Japanese counter-attack, retreating back to Shaduzup.

British reinforcements included the 7th Indian division, a brigade of which was sent to reinforce Stilwell. The 20th Indian Division and the 81st West African Division went into reserve behind the central front, in preparation for the Japanese U-Go offensive. This was the first time I had played the scenario without knowing in advance which offensive option the Japanese would use. Sure enough, they didn't attack on the central part of the front at all, but launched an amphibious landing in Bengal, east of Calcutta, which was supported by an attack out of the hills toward Comilla, Brahmanbaria and Silchar. I was caught flat-footed, with my reserves well forward, while the enemy attack was far in my rear. It took eight turns to redeploy my units to first contain and then gradually eliminate the Japanese marines in Bengal.

In the meantime, I had landed my Chindits behind Japanese lines in the central area, in anticipation of an attack there that never came. They served no real purpose, and were gradually wiped out, as my main air and ground forces were back in Bengal, mopping up the Japanese there. By the start of the monsoon, I was back where I'd started, on a line Shaduzup, Kohima, Imphal, Comilla. It was not a good starting position for the final, 1945 dry season.

3. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

In the final dry season of 1945, I began an overdue attack into Burma. I attacked from the Imphal area towards Mandalay. Progress was slow, but I eventually captured it. In the meantime, a second attack on Myitkyna was defeated. Despite a "JustOnce" in the city capture event, another bunker was spawned in Myitkyna after it was recaptured by the Japanese. Although not intended, I think it's reasonable that the Japanese would have built another bunker if they recaptured a key city. Having lost most of my US/Chinese artillery in the first attack, I attacked with my Stilwell unit, but he was killed. This ended my attempts to recapture the city.

This was enough to seal my fate, but I heroically continued attacking south from Mandalay along the railway towards Rangoon. Most of Burma was still under Japanese control, and resistance was steady. I reached Sittang, but without B-24s (US units can't move south of the CBI line - see the Readme) or enough artillery, I was unable to take it before the Monsoon. And that was it.

4. tootall_2012

tootall_2012 Prince

Hi Tech,

It sounds like your latest modifications have changed the dynamics of the game and increased the challenge factor.

I certainly hope to be able to revisit the scenario, in the not too distant future, to see if I can once again wage a successful campaign or face an ignominious defeat in the steaming jungles of South-East Asia.

As I mentioned to you, I truly enjoyed play testing the scenario and I look forward to playing it again once I have the opportunity.

techumseh likes this.
  5. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I've taken a few attempts to play this and am working out the strategy still but am enjoying it. I'd love to make a short little video about it to help publicize it if that is OK with you, perhaps once I'm a bit further along in playing and can speak to it with more authority. The only issue is that it's challenging to have videos showing AI turns because on my machine powerful enough to record video, the AI turns always hang up due to Windows 10 so it would look like everything is about to crash! Undesirable!

6. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

Yves: Yes, I think it is more challenging, particularly in the second half of the game. I've incorporated many of your and McMonkey's suggestions and it's improved the scenario greatly. Bunkers in key cities captured by the Japanese, more effective fighter interception on the Hump run, and counter-attacks along the way. I also use MoveUnit events to clear backwater accumulations of AI-controlled Japanese units and bring them into the action. And of course, 5 variants of the U-Go offensive to surprise you.

John: If you can make it work, please go ahead. If you want any advice on play, just let me know.

7. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I'm having more fun since you posted your strategy, so thanks for that. I haven't had the chance to get very far but my withdrawal from Burma is going along well, for the most part. It's a bummer I couldn't get the artillery out, but at least I was able to save the four tanks. Here's my general strategy:

I'm going to attempt to defend three main areas: Southern Front (Comila), Central Front (Imphal and Kohima) and Northern Front (still deciding if I try to hold at Myitkyna, or at Ledo. The latter might be easier to defend, but harder to launch an eventual counter-offensive from).
    The main bulk of the Burma forces are withdrawing with Stilwell to Imphal and Kohima, where I will concentrate my air forces for now until I receive reinforcements.
    I have Slim preparing defenses near Comila, figuring that we'll use the nearby river's defensive bonus and hopefully nail a few Japense forces in the grasslands east of it.
    The northern force is going to be the smallest, and hopefully assisted by the Chinese.

We'll see how it goes. I'm having fun though. I said it before, but I think you've got a good balance of unit count here - the scenario has meat to it but it isn't gargantuan, which is good considering it might take some folks some restarts to figure it out.

techumseh likes this.
  8. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

That sounds like a solid plan. Myitkyna is hard to hold because of the strength of the Japanese attack both before and after the monsoon. Its also hard to reinforce until you can build a road from Ledo. On the plus side, the Japanese can't build hump interceptors until they capture it.

Generally, when players struggle to hold on in the first season, it's because they have an aversion to running for the hills - literally. Every time you stop to defend some Burmese city or to pick off an isolated Japanese unit, you end up losing valuable troops or planes. Players also have a tendency to attack too soon. Developing solid defensive tactics, letting the Japanese attack well defended positions on hills or river/jungle terrain will wear them down. The British have a higher probability of units being replaced, so gradual attrition will help in the long run. Finally, if you use your air units skillfully, they can save even apparently dire situations. Try to get your air units stacked with strong ground forces, preferably including a Bofors AA unit. I use the intermediate rule where an air unit must make a successful attack in order to stack with ground units. It's not always possible, but if you can do it the Japanese fighters will smash themselves against your position. Eventually, they don't get replaced and you can achieve air superiority. Thanks and good luck!

9. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Major problems as the Japanese have broken through at Ledo. I have nothing to stop them so I am rushing units towards Dimapur with hope of establishing a defensive line in the jungles northeast of it. I don't want the road to Kohima cut or else the bulk of my forces will be cut off.

The central front at Kohima and Imphal continues to hold though I'm taking heavier air losses than I would like.

Comilla hasn't come under heavy attack yet, so most of the reinforcements from Dimapur are being rerouted from there.

It's turn 18 and I'm in trouble! Fun, fun, fun scenario if anyone out there hasn't tried it yet!

upload_2020-1-11_6-7-44.png

10. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I made a short video just talking about the scenario a little. I'll share it in the "What Video Games Are You Playing" thread over in OT.

techumseh likes this.
  11. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

Thank you very much for your kind words and for the excellent video promotion of my scenario. :blush: :thanx:

JPetroski likes this.
  12. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

No worries! Glad to do it! It's the Ieast I can do after you spent all these years making it for us to play! Also, perhaps we'll catch a few more players.

13. YazzyT

YazzyT Chieftain

I'm about to start. What difficulty level do you recommend to play at?

14. YazzyT

YazzyT Chieftain

Also quick nitpick - some of the unit names don't match up with the graphics. The one labeled "Hawk III" is really the Hawk 75. The unit named M-4 (X) looks like an M5 Stuart. Hope that helps

15. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

You're right of course. It is a Hawk 75, a monoplane - the Hawk III was a biplane. But it's an M3A3 Stuart, not an M5. The M4 was, of course, the Sherman. Thanks for the correction. Play at the default difficulty level, which is Emperor, I believe.

YazzyT likes this.
  16. YazzyT

YazzyT Chieftain

Thanks tech!

17. YazzyT

YazzyT Chieftain

Japan walloped me with an amphibious assault and conquered Calcutta before 1945 even rolled around. This is a hard one which I WILL play again and again til I get it! I also noticed another typo - N1K George, not M1K. I apologize for being such a pedant!

18. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

You know you're onto a great scenario when the AI kicks your ass on the first few attempts & you really have to learn the intricacies of your unit's capabilities, the map & terrain & hope for a little good fortune to eventually grind out a win. Far more rewarding when you finally do triumph IMHO

techumseh likes this.
  19. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

I'm glad you enjoyed it. And yes, you are. But that's a characteristic of a good play tester. It would be good to get your input before I release a scenario. Next time.

20. YazzyT

YazzyT Chieftain

my fault for not keeping up with civfanatics!