Burned by 2K and Firaxis

BobtheBold

Chieftain
Ladies and Gents,

Sid Meier, Firaxis, and 2K games have beaten me. I give up. They win. They have proven that you can release a product so horribly screwed it isn't funny and still make a profit.

The QA people for Firaxis and 2K (now the same company) should be summarily dismissed. Any product that needs a patch BEFORE it will even perform as advertised should never leave the company. Were I the QA manager and forced to release the product, I would have demanded to have my name removed from the credits if not outright resign. There is no possible way they could have tested and approved this game. These aren't devious minor bugs. These are glaring show stoppers. One of them occurs before the game actually starts. How was this not seen?

I had an ATI X700 video card. I solved the installation issues only to have the game crash to the desktop at frequent intervals. The "unpacking" solution only delays the inevitable. It does NOT cure it. I bought an Nvidia 6800GT card. Now the game crashes less often (but crash it does). It now, however, corrupts the display when I zoom the map out.

All this time and all this money and this is the best they can do? So be it. 2K games and Firaxis you win. I won't start a game I know can't be completed. It has been 2 weeks with NO official word regarding these issues. I still don't have my tech tree in English. Since Fry's won't take back an open box, I'm stuck. I am going to swap it with another to get my tech tree in English. I gave 2K 2 weeks to replace it. That is more than enough time.

Here is how to solve this:
Replace the entire box. I got the wrong items, on mis-labeled discs with software that, frankly, sucks. Where is the value here? Not one thing has gone right with this product! 2K should immediately replace the entire box with a corrected edition and a note of apology for shipping such trash.

Having gotten a new computer, since the old P4 3gig wouln't work right, I finally got the game running with a drop to desktop only once in a while. Basically, it works now.

Having said that, what I agree with most in your email is how there is not even a peep from T2 or Firaxis, at least not that I've seen. I would think that if one went to the Civ 4 page there should at least be a prominent and specific acknowledgement of a problem that is being worked on. If one goes there now one wonders if they even recognize the extent of their problem.

Bill

They wanted a dxdiag. I am not sure if it is for me or for them. I'm not sure this is the right approach. I can guarantee they have problems with ATI cards. I replaced mine with an Nvidia card. I saw a big improvement. But the program still bogs down and crashes as the game progresses. This shouldn't be a directx problem. They have a resource leak of some kind.

This machine plays Dungeon Seige 2, Quake 4, UT 2004 with no issues. All of these games have more intense graphics then Civ4. They don't crash like Civ4 does.

Hey Firaxis, you aren't looking good by not making some kind of statement. And 2K games? what a joke! Now you guys are the same company. This doesn't bode well.

I am still not playing any longer. Why bother? The game will always choke and crash. $37.00 for the game. $275 for the video card (which I might have purchased anyway). And loads of time blown for nothing.

The basic reason that Firaxis won't issue a statement is that official action will lead to a deluge of bad press. And bad press will cut sales.

So, like politicians, they simply smile and ignore the problems, hoping that nothing forces them from their aloof complacency.

Well, guys, there are also people like me for whom the game works out of the box. I played some fifty hours or so now, and I have had not a single crash. I also experience no lag or anything else. Were it not for the posts here and elsewhere, I would consider Civ4 one of the most polished releases in the past few years. My experience isn't unique, but I know that there are people who do have a lot of trouble.

I guess speaking up for the game gets me accused of being a "fanboy", but I'd still like to add my voice. (I also have no reason to claim my game works fine if it didn't.)

Cironir said:
Well, guys, there are also people like me for whom the game works out of the box. I played some fifty hours or so now, and I have had not a single crash. I also experience no lag or anything else. Were it not for the posts here and elsewhere, I would consider Civ4 one of the most polished releases in the past few years. My experience isn't unique, but I know that there are people who do have a lot of trouble.

I guess speaking up for the game gets me accused of being a "fanboy", but I'd still like to add my voice. (I also have no reason to claim my game works fine if it didn't.)

Have you played on huge maps with lots of AI civs with the world map revealed and still get 'no lag or anything else'?

If so, what are your computer specs?

Oh gawd here we go again. lol At least one of these types of threads pops up it's ugly head on a daily basis while 80% of all those who bought the game have no issues or very minor issues.

MODerators, why don't you make a "rants" forum, that's what Creative Assembly did and then all these types of threads were moved to them so they didn't clutter up the great stories, good times, wonderful great new gameplay, etc. etc. of the game?

That way all the complainers can complain in the same forum and basically the same thread, should save you some data space as well.

By making a rants forum, the rants deminished because there weren't any debates or "your system suks" or just generalized flaming on both sides of the fence and let's face it, nearly everyone of these threads leads to someone flaming someone else, name calling and you moderators closing it anyways. Ranters will usually leave if there's no one to argue with.

That way as soon as you see some thead topic like: Fraxis screwed me, or a $50 beta program, or why I don't like CIV IV, you'll be able to immediately move them to the rants sections and it won't waste any space in this forum. ;)

I play standard and large maps with six resp. nine civs. Many posters report issues under these conditions also, so, I'm not sure that it is only the game. My specs: P4 3.0 Ghz HT, 1 GB RAM (PC3200), ATI x700pro/256 MB.

Ravinhood said:
Oh gawd here we go again. lol At least one of these types of threads pops up it's ugly head on a daily basis while 80% of all those who bought the game have no issues or very minor issues.

I am sorry but even if it is 80% have no trouble which I doubt it is not good enough the game is in very poor shape for a final release.
The game should run for 100% of people without crashing if they meet the specss listed on the box.

80% have no problems? Are you kidding?

The game is fun but mind you, I have the RECCOMENDED requirements as printed on the box. It should run GREAT. It doesn't. It lags over places with lots of trees. It lags on any map greater than small. It lags when viewing borders. It lags for no discernible reasons at various times. It lags during the late game.

And this is with the RECCOMENDED requirements. Yes, granted my system might be "antiquated" when compared to some of the people's systems on this board but it still meets the requirements that the makers of the game RECCOMENDED for best playability. And I'm not the only one.

I'm sick of reading about how the only people with problems are just idiots that are to cheap or stupid to upgrade their systems. I SHOULDN'T have to. There is a little thing in this country called TRUTH IN ADVERTISING which puts the onus on the maker of the product.

With that said, I'll give em another week to come out with a decent fix to these problems. I absolutely refuse to upgrade my system beyond the reccommended requirements simply because those reccomendations were FALSE.

Cironir said:
I play standard and large maps with six resp. nine civs. Many posters report issues under these conditions also, so, I'm not sure that it is only the game. My specs: P4 3.0 Ghz HT, 1 GB RAM (PC3200), ATI x700pro/256 MB.

If you toggle the tile grid overlay on huge maps with the map revealed, how many seconds does it take to do so roughly?

This machine plays Dungeon Seige 2, Quake 4, UT 2004 with no issues. All of these games have more intense graphics then Civ4. They don't crash like Civ4 does.

I don't think those games need to keep track of tens of thousands of objects. They are more impressive visually, but frankly, it's all physics.

yeah, we definately need a rants section in this forum. Instead of just whiners placing them in whatever section they feel like

If the game works perfectly for you, great. However, it is clear that it does not run very well for many, many people with systems well above the Recommended specs. I have an Alienware P4 3.6, 1 Gb RAM and a 256 MB nVidia 6800 GT video card. It should have no trouble playing Civ4--at least without frequent crashes--but it cannot. On a huge map (which, btw, ain't so huge compared to Civ3) with 6 AI civs, the game increasingly becomes bogged down as the game progresses, especially when zoomed beyond extreme closeup. Turning off anti aliasing and lowering resolution to the minimum of 1024x768 helped a little bit not much.Not only does scrolling and the UI become slow and nonresponsive, the game frequently freezes for minutes at a time, there are various graphical glitches that occur as the HD whirs, and it often locks up and crashes--and has long loading times when I restart. (I have taken to quick saving before ending each turn and after setting city orders.)

I am having a lot of fun with the game--which is why I am willing to try and play though this crap. But my experience is obviously quite common and Firaxis/2K clearly dropped the ball on this. Suggesting that this very large problem be relegated to the ghetto of a whiner's board is insulting.

On this thread (and elsewhere on the whole forum), some gamers have complained that they bought relatively recent & expensive GeForce videocards to then still experience unacceptable graphical problems and crashes. I take their word for it, and I think that they have a free-speech right to inform us of their technical woes.

What puzzles me is that my system has a two-year old GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB vram), which was a budget-priced card to start with, and I have encountered NONE of the described graphical problems and crashes after 8 days of play. I am not saying that to brag (I would not brag about a GF 5200) : I simply do not understand, from a purely technological point of view.

I have experienced not one single event of video choppiness or distortion and not one single CTD. I sincerely sympathize with those of you who are plagued by major problems with much more recent & powerful GF cards...but if I can run the Civ IV software without any problem on a mediocre GF 5200, it is risky to blame the developers and the producers if the game-program (sometimes) experiences major problems when it runs on much better GF cards than mine!

It is a mystery, to which I do not have an easy answer...but I would be extremely prudent before casting blame, in those ambivalent circumstances (following contradictory reports by GF-card owners).

All I can say is, caveat emptor. Firaxis and Take2 didn't have a gun to your head when bought Civ IV. If you read the various fansites, you would have had a really good idea that the game was largely unplayable and/or glitchy for some folks. But, lemme guess: you bought it anyway.

Honestly, if buggy software bothers you so much, don't buy anything until six months post release.

For me: other than the mini-map glitch, and a flickering cursor, the game is pretty darn stable and entertaining.

MattJek said:
yeah, we definately need a rants section in this forum. Instead of just whiners placing them in whatever section they feel like

I would like to third that; though, it makes me sad to agree to it.

BobtheBold said:
They wanted a dxdiag. I am not sure if it is for me or for them. I'm not sure this is the right approach.

How are they supposed to either a) identify the problem with the software and fix it or b) point you to something that may be causing a problem with your hardware if they don't know anything about your computer? dxdiag is most assuredly the correct approach for them to assist in troubleshooting, be it their fault or yours.

Assuming you have the recommended requirements, this game plays much better than civ 3 out of the box. Remeber the completely corrupt cities and repetitive tree-choppin, ugh

I haven't had any problems either. I have installed it and played with no trouble on both of my pc's. I only play huge maps with 18 civs on epic and the end game is just as fast as the ancient era.

PC #1
AMD Semprom 1.9
1 gb ram
Geforce 6800 GT OC 256

PC #2
AMD Athlon xp 1.7
512 mb ram
Radeon 9200 128 mb

Slight slow down on PC #2 late in the game and it crashed once. I updated all of my drivers and it didn't happen again.

Top Bottom