Burning a Great Engineer for Little Reward

Cicerosaurus

Emperor
I really hate burning a Great Engineer, seeing your city will build a Wonder the next turn and then getting a message that another Civ has built it.

Why can't the game mechanics build it the same turn or not allow you to use the GE if construction is imminent?

That is all.

it happens but very rarely. you must be very behind or building old wonder for it to happen

it happens but very rarely. you must be very behind or building old wonder for it to happen

Wrong. With the way the social policies are, I could be trying to open a different tree finish that and open (as an example) rationalism. I can then build the Porcelain Tower.

Your summary is incorrect. My priorities may be different.

Wrong. With the way the social policies are, I could be trying to open a different tree finish that and open (as an example) rationalism. I can then build the Porcelain Tower.

Your summary is incorrect. My priorities may be different.

wow i am sorry ~~

I'd say I rush about 1-1.5 wonders per game so it should have happened to me by now (don't know how many hundreds games I've played).

Hmm... maybe it is because usually the wonders I rush get rushed immediately once unlocked. So other Civs usually may just have researched it as well and them hardbuilding it can't conflict with me rushing it at that point. They'd have to use an GE as well, but AIs usually seem to plant all of their GEs.

Just didn't happen to happen yet I guess... I greatly agree though that if that happens it bound to cause huge anger ;)

Happens to me too. I agree that the GP should not be consumed in that case.

The usual scenario is you get the GE, look at what wonders are still available, and say, e.g., hmm, yeah hanging gardens would add more hammers to my capital than settling him.

When you use him to rush, if it gets built elsewhere that turn, he should just survive and contribute nothing to the build.

I also reload in this case.

It's happened to me a couple times too. It should just be made so the wonder is finished that turn instead of the following turn, like if you research a tech fully, you get it that turn, or if you buy a building, you get it that turn. You don't have to wait until the next turn like you do with wonders.

To the poster who said you must be behind or it must be an old wonder, that has nothing to do with it... If another player has 1 turn left on the wonder when you spend your engineer on the wonder, then they will finish the wonder on their next turn, which will come before your next turn.

Agreed on "finishing this turn" sort of like how when you bulb a scientist you get the tech immediately. I've had a few times when this happened to me too, and yeah, reload, because it's really stupid the way it's designed.

They had this in previous versions of Civ. Obviously not with GE's, but if you rushed a wonder with gold it would show as having '1 turn' left, but would finish before the AI finished its wonder, which it would have finished that same turn.

I'm not sure why they removed this, as it was a nice feature for a primarily single player game. If you invest the resources to rush something to immediate completion, you actually get it.

Should be like when you buy a unit. It appears right away but doesn't do anything until the end of the turn.

That's because the AI always sees your cities and your tech (cheating); they will very often time their wonders to beat you by 1 turn, or sometimes, to beat your tech by one turn (if they see a great engineer) meaning they will finish it the turn you research the tech and if you burn a GE it will get wasted.

To counter this, for crucial techs, bulb the tech and finish using a GE; or use interfaith dialogue to research the tech one turn earlier. Also, finish your wonders with a forest chop (make sure it makes a one turn difference)

"Wonder whore" doesn't come close to describing my approach to Wonders, and I routinely burn GEs to get them, but I've never experienced this situation. I would be furious, definitely. I agree that GEs should build their Wonders on the same turn, in line with all the other rush options...but given that they don't (for whatever reason), I don't think the GE should be saved or reimbursed or anything.

That's because the AI always sees your cities and your tech (cheating); they will very often time their wonders to beat you by 1 turn, or sometimes, to beat your tech by one turn (if they see a great engineer) meaning they will finish it the turn you research the tech and if you burn a GE it will get wasted.

This sounds like one of those crazy conspiracies...

"Wonder whore" doesn't come close to describing my approach to Wonders, and I routinely burn GEs to get them, but I've never experienced this situation. I would be furious, definitely. I agree that GEs should build their Wonders on the same turn, in line with all the other rush options...but given that they don't (for whatever reason), I don't think the GE should be saved or reimbursed or anything.

It happens a lot tough. Just the AI finishes at the start of his turn , it s in fact bad -luck- except it ain t really luck at least @ immortal and emperor. During medieval/mid renaissance,your science is in par with the AI , and the time it takes them to build a wonder is close to the time to search a science of the same level , so if you delayed your tech with the wonder because 'i m gonna rush it once i get it' , you tend to GE rush during the same 3 turn window where the AI who has rushed the science containing the wonder is finishing ....hence the 1 turn miss :)
If you play a lot it happens often. It is statistical :)
Pretty annoying indeed tough.

For those who said it never happened , they either played a few games or never past king.

This happens to me plenty of times.

But once, this was the worst ever. I didn't pop a great engineer. I played on king.

I pop Masonry, Pottery and writing from ancient ruins and enough faith from ancient ruins which gave me monument to the gods I wasl like oh my gawd are you kidding me, Grassland GOld mine and marble.. Plus aristocracy.

I took 12 turns to hardbuild the great library and then when there was one turn left, I got beaten to it by one turn. Goddammit AI, why can't you just let me have it at least once. Was turn 30-40. I ragequited but then I changed my mind immediately.

i wanted to return the favor to the guy who beat me to the great library by one turn.. by beating the AIs to every single ancient/classical/medieval wonders.

I was enjoying bright red "we covet your land and wonders negative modifiers from the AI" :3

Then i declared vengeance accomplished and quit. Yes I even got stuff like Petra, Alhambra, Parthenon, etc the wonders that humans normally never get only AIs.

Sure they beat me to the great library but in return i beat them to every other wonder at great expense.

My cities be rolling in bling and there's nothing that great library AI hogging can do about it.

Top Bottom