Bush II's Popularity is soaring

Archbob

Ancient CFC Guardian
Never underestimate how low american standards can get.

I hate to break it to you guys, but this was the plan all along.

If this doesn't work for the Republicans going forward, the next president is going to be .. hmm.. you know what, I can't even think of a worse candidate than Trump... oh wait I figured it out, your next president is going to be Kevin Spacey

Trump (so far) has been nowhere remotely as bad as Bush.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/22/politics/george-w-bush-favorable-poll/index.html

Looks like Trump has lowered Republican's expectations of what a president should be so much that George W. Bush looks like an angel sent from God now. Still below Barack Obama rating though(because Obama is obviously an Archangel). How low can our expectations go?

Lowered Democrats' expectations of what a president should be, actually. The article point out that Bush's approval rating is still where it was with Republicans, but has soared from 11% to 54% among Democrats.

It’s easy to complain that Trump is so much worse than Bush If you weren’t one of the (estimated) 150,000 to 1 million Iraqis that died. Until Trunp starts seriously disrupting entire countries and regions he’s not in the same category as Bush. I still don’t understand why so many people are saying Trump is the worst we’ve ever had. It’s like are you serious? We’ve had plenty of presidents who have done far more damage than Trunp has so far. The only unique thing about Trunp is he makes inappropriate remarks that most presidents won’t normally make.

It’s easy to complain that Trump is so much worse than Bush If you weren’t one of the (estimated) 150,000 to 1 million Iraqis that died. Until Trunp starts seriously disrupting entire countries and regions he’s not in the same category as Bush. I still don’t understand why so many people are saying Trump is the worst we’ve ever had. It’s like are you serious? We’ve had plenty of presidents who have done far more damage than Trunp has so far. The only unique thing about Trunp is makes inappropriate remarks that most presidents won’t normally make.

This is largely a side effect of his ineptitude in politics. If he were experienced in the art of the deal ( :p ), I have no doubt in my mind that he'd have done some pretty heinous things by now. He's just so ineffectual at governance to the point that he's incapable of enacting his agenda.

I deal in realities, not hypotheticals.

I think what Trump has done has more long-reaching consequences for the US rather than Immediate.
Taking us out of certain trade agreements, taking us out of the role of Climate change leadership and overall making the US more isolationist and his racist overtones have strengthened Neo-Nazis and groups like the KKK. He's appointments are also going in the direction of destroying the EPA and dismantling our national park system.

Nothing Trump has done so far has remotely damaged us in the long term as what Bush did in those 8 years. "taking us out of certain trade agreements" a new administration can re-sign them. Easy. "making the US more isolationist" this is a good thing, considering whenever we get involved 99% of the time we've been the bully. "racist overtones have strengthened the Nazis and KKK" they're a fringe minority group and Obama getting elected strengthened them more than Trump did. But it will pass. Bush destabilized an entire country which cost American lives (and far more Iraqi lives) had us going from a surplus under Clinton to a deficit with his administration, and the epilogue of what he did in the middle east is ISIS. Granted, Trump still has 3 (if not 7) years left to wreck comparable havoc, but he hasn't done it yet. Not even close.

The Trump/Bush comparison is impossible to make, because Trump is operating on a completely different level than previous presidents. Bush was a Trump president, but he was a president. His mistakes were presidential mistakes - terrible wars and foreign relation blunders. Trump is a wannabe autocrat whose "mistakes" include attempting to undermine and destroy the very institutions which he has sworn to uphold.

Could you be more specific?

Neither of those statements is true, but to say you've got it backward would be closer to the truth.

Top Bottom