1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Buy "Civ: Beyond Earth" NOW or WAIT for Expansions / Fixes?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Sommerswerd, Oct 26, 2014.

?

Will you Buy Civ:BE or Wait for Expansions/fixes

Poll closed Oct 23, 2017.
  1. Buying now (or soon) - I can't wait to have it!!!

61 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. Waiting - I want a finished product, expansions or at least some fixes first!

69 vote(s)
    53.1%
  1. misterchief

misterchief Chieftain

I bought it but regret getting it so early. I think it has the potential to be a great game, but it currently has some pretty big flaws and missing features/content.

My favorite way to play - 22ish civs, huge map, domination only, isn't possible because there are only 8 factions, and because workers and especially trade routes require so much more micromanagement that it becomes excruciatingly tedious to have a wide empire with lots of cities. Whereas Civ 5 gives me the "just one more turn" feeling that can keep me up all night, BE sort of gives me the opposite effect - I dread all the tedious micromanagement my wide empire needs each turn.

2. Gen. Blaze

Gen. Blaze Chieftain

I actually pre-ordered it a couple days before release because I'm burnt out on other games i've been playing. Glad I did too, because the Pro's heavily outweigh the Con's of this game.

If you're still loving Civ V, then by all means continue playing and wait for a few patches and/or expansion. Because I am sure it'll be much smoother than it already is. But if you go and spend the 50 some odd dollars on Beyond Earth, I highly doubt you'll be disappointed..

3. Raion

Raion Chieftain

I like it okay. Some of the things mentioned. Some people having problems seeing the game. Others missing things in the game. So far I have the Full Advsor on, and I "Esc" key out of it when I have to, because there is no get rid of it when I do not want it, ya know. The list of buildings seems to be big in the city screen. People do not like that, and the icons being well different but still about the same color.

It is compared to Civ V all the time on Steam, but I fail to see some of the discussions because geeze, read the complete manual if you have to.

Well, it is not bothering me so far, and some have changed the fonts to make those bigger in some cases, but the color scheme of the game does not bother me, and well, it is not on Planet Earth.

I suppose some people feel ripped off, and wanted more. Probably better balance in the game.

It has all been mentioned before, and probably will be mentioned again, and again, and again.

Maybe an expansion can include alien trolls from Planet Earth - well no, but Aliens in the future in an Expansion, if it gets that far I guess.

I don't know right now I am just playing it.

Except right now, whether I change resolution or not and go lower or higher, it runs at the same frame rate with Vsync on - only 40 for the main game, the videos run at 60 which is what my refresh rate on my monitor is at anyway.

I will know more later, playing it further then having people complain about the game only two days into the game.

And whatever.

4. civvver

civvver Deity

I voted for waiting but I'm not waiting for expansions, I'm waiting for a price drop. Once it's down to like 7.50 on sale I'll snag it. In the meantime I still haven't played all the leaders in civ5 bnw so I have plenty of civ'ing to do.

5. Piemaster

Piemaster Warlord

I'm leaning towards buying it now. I don't have Civ V, so I don't have anything recent to compare it to. It will be nice to get used to the vanilla game before having to deal with the expansions etc. As much as I loved the Civ IV expansions, I think if I had tried to play the game with all the expansions straight off it would have been overwhelming.

6. Thander

Thander Warlord

For me its mostly money. I cut most of my gaming spending this year to save for something else. I am still having a blast with Civ5 too. I don't feel the need to replace it yet. I have played the CivBE demo though. I've had fun learning about the new resources, improvements, and buildings as well as which techs improve those. I've also had fun reading all the lore in the Civilopedia. The demo has almost all of the entries from the full game. In short, I am waiting but not because the game is bad. I just have other interests at this moment.

7. Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor Warlord

Don't buy. Wait for an expansion that drastically improves the game.

I'd barely consider it half a game currently.

8. Greizer85

Greizer85 Emperor

OP, if you haven't played Alpha Centauri, I'd recommend giving it another chance. While the AI is horrible (to be polite ;)) and the graphics aren't really a sight to behold nowadays, the atmosphere of the game is unparalleled, once you get past the first few turns and the story of the game starts to unfold. It's quite different from Civ II, in that the opposing leaders come across as real personalities, instead of black-box ciphers whose WORDS ARE BACKED WITH NUCLEAR WEAPONS!!! :mwaha: (not that that isn't fun from time to time :p). The 'civic' system and the terrain modifications were also far ahead of their time (if also terribly unbalanced); the latter still hasn't been properly incorporated into the actual Civ games (elevation levels would be very neat for Civ VI! :eek:).

9. civvver

civvver Deity

And you can get SMAC for $2.50 on sale at gog. I just don't see why anyone in their right mind would pay more than $10 for a pc game in this day and age. The last game I purchased for the full price of $50 was civ5. I'll probably never buy a new release again. The most expensive game I've purchased since then is skyrim when it went half off the first time for $30 and then diablo 3 for $20 a bit later. But you can get so much more value from bundles or waiting (tomb raider was on sale for $4 a couple weeks ago and there was a sid meir humble bundle where you got all the civ5 content and 3 and 4 and other stuff for $15).

10. Greizer85

Greizer85 Emperor

Diablo III is not worth buying even if they paid *you* 50 dollars. The recipe for that game was simply:

1. take Diablo II: LoD
    2. remove all that's fun about it, adding flashy graphics
    3. refuse to admit to any mistakes, citing good sales numbers
    4. ????
    5. profit

EDIT: Oh yeah, killing Cain with butterflies. That should be in there somewhere! :lol::goodjob:

11. Sal

Sal Warlord

I would buy it now. I have said before I will not get civ 6 until full expansions but this is not civ 6. It is entirely possible that there will be no major expansions beyond dlc and according to me that would be fine. This game has far more depth than vanilla Civ 5 and is far more enjoyable. All the balance issues will be sorted by patches I am sure and in the meantime it is great fun anyway. I think for £30 it has been well worth it. I would get less enjoyment from the equivalent (a meal out or 10 drinks).

12. The_Reckoning

The_Reckoning Prince

I preordered because it was heavily discounted, it won't be on sale lower than £22.50 for a while I expect. I expected it to be broken, buggy, imbalanced with minimal mod support and terrible AI. Surprisingly, it's not broken, and the worst bugs seem to be limited to multiplayer.

Mod support is promised and I can't imagine it will be too long given it's the same engine as Civ5. Balance will improve with patches and expansions, hopefully the AI will too.

So overall I'd recommend waiting. I'll probably put it down within a week, having put around 50 hours into it, and with Apollo difficulty being a joke.

Now I loved LoD, but with the expansion for Diablo III, they actually did a really good job. The new areas are good, the new chapter of story isn't trite. The adventure mode is very good, and beats the hell out of doing 1000 Baal runs in 2.

I understand if you enjoyed the permanent build aspect of the game, but I appreciate that they took it in a more dynamic direction there, so you're not stuffed if you chose the wrong skills. You have to gear towards specific skill combos anyway, which is the fun.

If you're not already playing it I'd recommend Path of Exile for the Diablo 2 'permanent skills' feel. It's free to play (though there is that annoying green microtransations button, but they gotta get paid somehow).

13. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

I pre-ordered and I would suggest waiting until after the first balance patch. I suggest anyone on the fence should play the demo. Be warned though, ignoring the UI problems, the early game is extremely fun. Balance completely falls to peices around early mid game.

14. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

So the expansion has been announced... But I'm not completely sure what it is exactly because the link didn't work for me on the computer I was using... Maybe I will try it on my phone...

I am also unsure whether this is an "expansion" or an expansion... or a standalone? Anyway here is the link in case you're interested:

Sid Meier's "STARSHIPS"

But if it is I wonder if more if more people will want to buy it now with the expansion attached... again if this is even truly an expansion :confused:

15. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

It's Sid Meier's starships not spaceships.

I don't consider it an expansion since you are not playing BE itself. It is separate game that is connected to BE.

16. Sommerswerd

Fixed... Thanks for noticing;)
    Connected?:confused:

17. Sommerswerd

A random thought... Why "Star" ships rather than space-ships? They fly through space, not through stars... Kind of like calling planes "Portplanes" instead of "Airplanes" :)

18. Acken

Acken Deity

They didn't give details yet but so far it's 2 separate games with some sort of interaction possible between them. I'd expect a gimmick.

19. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Firaxis has said that there will be "cross-connectivity" between Starships and BE. Also, Starships takes place in the same universe as BE. We've seen from screenshots that the same factions and three affinities from BE exist in Starships. So presumably, your faction's affinity and such will carry over from your BE game into a new starships game.

20. jmm

jmm Chieftain

I preordered and I wish I hadn't, same with CiV... The game seems new enough at first to play a few times but, after that *new* feeling disipates, the game seems bland, boring and as appealling as playing a game of checkers against yourself (seriously: I have dozed between turns many times)

Balancing and bug fixing are not the only problems, amongst the main issues I find the game shallow, the AI and Diplomacy non-existing and all the games feels the same over and over.

Anyway, probably by the 2nd *sigh* paid expansion (not counting Starships), the game may become interesting again.