Buy Now or Pay Later? ($80 US)

How long will you wait to purchase Civ 6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fluphen Azine

What is Fluphen Azine?
I am curious who will decide to wait and pay later? I know that the bulk of customers will pony up the 80 bucks now so they can get the game as soon as it is available but when you do the math... the smart play is to wait and play the game in 6 months to a year. There is no doubt in my mind that the game will be bigger, better, and cheaper in a year,so why pay the money now when you and I both know the game is broken? Perhaps it is best to buy the base game now, if your into Mods so that you can fix the game the way you want from the jump? I can see that. If your not into Mods... better to wait I am sure. I guess the real answer is that if your gonna play Civ you should get into modding the game or playing Mods. I would like to hear any and all comments from the community!!

Last edited:
The incomplete press build featured in the many and easily available gameplay videos are better polished than most games released nowadays. Also 80 USD? You are getting ripped off in the worst way. I suggest shopping around, steam offers it for less than that.

It's nice to know the game is going to suck on release, thanks for letting me know before you've had a chance to try it.

On the one hand, if a lot of people buy it now it'll motivate the devs (and those who make decisions on what the devs work on) to fix/improve/release DLCs.

On the other hand, it's most probably true that there will be bug fixes, balance patches, and discounts in the future.

So it's a matter of deciding how much you want to play vs how much you want to pay I guess..

For me I'm doing my best to wait, just so I can know more details about how well it will run on my Mac, if at all, that is below specs (worked for Civ5 back in the days I only had a 11" Macbook Air! So perhaps my Mac Mini will work...), though the GMG discounts are appealing regardless that I might buy it anyway.

You can get digital deluxe for around 60 bucks if you look in the right places.
If you don't think the game is generally ready to play on release date, wait. Simple but true.
Oh, and congrats to your confidence Into your own opinion... :p

It's nice to know the game is going to suck on release, thanks for letting me know before you've had a chance to try it.

Given that most games these days suck on release, it's the most reasonable position to take. Though it is funny that you're painting the 'wait and see' attitude as the one requiring blind faith, when there are plenty of people who evidently see no problem paying $80 for a product they may or may not like.

My own chosen option isn't available in the poll: I'm going to wait until I can get the game and all its expansions for less than $20 in a Steam Sale, which is what I did with Skyrim.

My own chosen option isn't available in the poll: I'm going to wait until I can get the game and all its expansions for less than $20 in a Steam Sale, which is what I did with Skyrim.
This is an absolutely acceptable way of handling it. I usually can wait, too. But there are exceptions to the rule, e.g. CiVI or Witcher 3.

I may change my mind if the game comes out and the Civ 4 crowd I roll with on here starts raving about it. But even then, it's money and spending that much on a video game is something I just can't really justify to myself.

I chose "never". I pre-ordered the game, I'm not going to wait for it.
I may change my mind if the game comes out and the Civ 4 crowd I roll with on here starts raving about it. But even then, it's money and spending that much on a video game is something I just can't really justify to myself.
How can't you justify it? It's one of the cheapest things you'll ever buy!

I paid, $100, maybe $120 for Civ 5 (plus DLC/expansions) and I got more than 1600 hours out of it. So the game has cost me at most 7.5 cents an hour.

I can't think of any other recreation, apart from a walk outside, that's that cheap!

I think that "I buy it when I feel it is worth the price" option is missing. Now I cannot say that, because I don't have enough data. Major factors to keep me on hold for now are:
- there is something wrong with diplomacy - bad deals, some irrational ai decisions,
- I don't like the look of the UI,
- youtubers don't seem to be very excited about the game, for example - I quote from memory: "is this game better than civ5?", "it's different.".
For me to justyfy the 60e price tag the game must be a very good game. I gladly pay even 100e for the game (I did spent this kind of money on EU4 and on civ5), but I have to be sure it is worth the price. With civ 6 I just don't know that yet, but I am eager to find out watching streams, let's plays and reading this very forum. Whether it takes 2 weeks or a year I don't know.

I'm currently graduating and can't be bothered with severe game addiction at the moment. Hopefully there'll be a demo that can grant me the experience without turning me into a zombie.

I don't understand the obsession so many people have in getting a game you love for cheap.
First, the less you pay, the less you pay back the effort of the developers and the less incentive they and other developers will have in making this kind of games.
Second, applying this criteria in life would lead you to never go to the cinema (most movies will be available on tv for free in 4 years time), never buying a book (download the pdf on the web or take it at a public library) etc. and this will end up in ruining your life for what? Having spared $ 20 here and there? To buy what?

I don't like to throw away money but I like to support what I like, this is one of the reason I go to work every day and earn my salary. To me even $ 100 would have been a fair price for this game.

As a last note, considering you are all posting in a forum literally called civfanatics I am expecting you will play this game for, at the very least, 30 hours (with many of us going way way above the 100 hours mark). The price per hour ratio for this game is ridiculous.

I am happy to have paid full price.

I can't think of any other recreation, apart from a walk outside, that's that cheap!
Walking does tend to wear through shoes. 2 years with 2 hours walking per day = 1460 hours, so I guess that's probably marginally cheaper for most walking shoes.

i wonder how many of you have been on ebay and seen the price of complete in box Sega Saturn games recently? =) i routinely shell out large amounts for retro games, i have no problem whatsoever paying for Civ VI, i know i'll get my moneys worth.

I don't understand the obsession so many people have in getting a game you love for cheap.
First, the less you pay, the less you pay back the effort of the developers and the less incentive they and other developers will have in making this kind of games.
Second, applying this criteria in life would lead you to never go to the cinema (most movies will be available on tv for free in 4 years time), never buying a book (download the pdf on the web or take it at a public library) etc. and this will end up in ruining your life for what? Having spared $ 20 here and there? To buy what?

I don't like to throw away money but I like to support what I like, this is one of the reason I go to work every day and earn my salary. To me even $ 100 would have been a fair price for this game.

As a last note, considering you are all posting in a forum literally called civfanatics I am expecting you will play this game for, at the very least, 30 hours (with many of us going way way above the 100 hours mark). The price per hour ratio for this game is ridiculous.

I am happy to have paid full price.

It's not about being cheap, it's being a smart consumer. The price you pay, at least in the US for civ 6 has no bearing on what the publisher makes, provided people are not using grey market resellers. The publisher and retailers have a signed contract that has a set amount that the publisher gets for each unit sold. The only exclusion to this is if you purchase directly from the developer or publisher like EA's origin service, or valves own games on steam.

You also need to realize that value is personal, many people do need to look for deals due to limitation on disposable income. I paid 47$ for civ 6 and probably would not buy it at 60, not because I can't afford it, but because it is not a good value for my entertainment dollar compared to other games.

the smart play is to wait and play the game in 6 months to a year.

Yeah, and the smart play is to avoid beer and soda, and drink tap water instead. But you know....sometimes you really want a beer.

I bought CiV at launch, and I still don't regret it even if it took some time before it was a really good game. Because if you know it's available and want to play it, why wait?

Also people are in different financial situations. When I was a student I might think twice about spending $65 on something. Now I can work one hour extra (okay, 1,5 after taxes) and buy the game. But I do understand that it's not an option for everyone. So the point is I can't understand how people believe they can judge what's smart on behalf of people they know nothing about.

Last edited:
I am curious who will decide to wait and pay later? I know that the bulk of customers will pony up the 80 bucks now so they can get the game as soon as it is available but when you do the math... the smart play is to wait and play the game in 6 months to a year.
No, this is only true if all you care about is the money. Being able to play the game in these months is great. Being able to play the game at a time where it's mostly "unsolved" is even greater if you're the community-type of player, and not just somebody who mostly plays on their own. And the value of money depends heavily on how much you have on your bank account. So the "smart" decision will vary from person to person.

I personally will buy it... a bit more than a week after release. 8) Which isn't intentional, I'm just broke as hell. But oh well, that way I see the first impressions of people and can decide to delay buying even further if some major bugs or problems show up.

I'm currently graduating and can't be bothered with severe game addiction at the moment. Hopefully there'll be a demo that can grant me the experience without turning me into a zombie.
Forget it. :D take the bait, get caught!

Top Bottom