1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Buy now or wait until updates/fixes?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by labellavienna, Oct 22, 2016.

1. labellavienna

labellavienna Warlord

Just curious, I decided to wait to get Civ 6, I'm wondering based on your impressions...should I continue to wait for updates and fixes or should I get it now? I was afraid the bugs and unbalances would make the experience not as enjoyable.

2. Galbias

Galbias Prince

It's playable and there's fun to be had...but if you have to ask, then definitely wait, it has some major issues and will only get better with mods and expansions/dlc.

3. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Its a matter of taste (and time)
    I didnt buy civ5 until about 2 years ago, when I got the game and allDLC for 50$ and it was as patched as it will ever be

4. JtW

JtW Prince

If you were able to beat King in Civ 5, wait. The combat AI is so terrible that there is no challenge to be had. If you were a poor player, then buy. Everything else than the AI is amazing.

5. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

I'd disagree with the above statement.

In it's current incarnation - civ6 is infinitely more interesting and entertaining than civ5 is. So even if we were to suggest that the game retains a number of civ5's more glaring annoyances (awful military A.I.) - It's still a much better experience.

I'm having a tremendous amount of fun playing the game. It depends on your tolerance for certain things. Though I'd agree with the other person that suggest that if you're the kind of person that even has to ask this sort of question then maybe you should wait.

The game is very fun, though.

Vidszhite, Babri, anandus and 4 others like this.
  6. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

I'd say wait three months at least. (I am.) The whole Aztec hostage thing basically made it a choice between pre-order and hope for the best, or wait till the 90 day lock expires. Buying the game now is a waste IMO.

7. paulmclem

paulmclem Warlord

I bought it and am thoroughly enjoying it. A whole different challenge to V. If you like Civ you should buy it. However, it's your money.

tekjunkie28 likes this.
  8. tekjunkie28

tekjunkie28 Prince

I agree with this statement. Other thing is that what the difference if you buy now or wait. I highly doubt there will be a sale on this soon... its just too popular.

9. Falk

Falk Prince

If you don't mind the awful AI (it's not just the combat AI btw), you should buy it now and have lots of fun.

Indeed I am not sure if Firaxis can improve the AI anytime soon - this will take some effort, I doubt it can be done in a patch in the foreseeable future.

10. Lightning5555

Lightning5555 Chieftain

I have over 3,000 hours in civ 5 and was bored out of my mind playing civ 6. I think it is fine and you should get it if you like slower paced games. If you are more about multiplayer and fast games, I would suggest waiting.

11. Usama84

Usama84 Chieftain

I hated civ 5, but I'm liking 6 so far, despite no stacks of doom, is still fun. I bought it myself.

12. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

I'd wait at least one expansion. Many things are seriously askew.

13. Acken

Acken Deity

If you're the kind of player that is bitter for 60$ that went into an imperfect product just wait.

14. labellavienna

labellavienna Warlord

Thanks guys, its not about the money for me, Id support civ games regardless. im just wondering if itd be worth it to get it now because new games tend to lack shine. But seeing the mixed reviews makes me even more unsure lol

If ive never played any other civ besides civ V...would i enjoy civ 6? ( I LOOVED civ v)

15. Juntacazon

Juntacazon Chieftain

I also loved civ 5 (500+ hours on my account :crazyeye:). It looks like Civ 6 has the potential to surpass 5. Firaxis added lots of cool features (e.g. remember how it was a pain to get allied city states to get their military to help you in 5? Now you can pay to take control of them if you're the most influential civ over them)

That being said, there are a lot of bugs and balance issues, and bad AI to go along with it. Military conquest isn't a challenge at the moment

If I were you, I'd wait until the first major patch to play. I would've waited too, had I the willpower to resist. :lol:

16. isau

isau Deity

I will say the military AI is very poor and it makes the game too easy to coast through. Some bad decisions like allowing Settlers to be captured really do make it too easy.

That said, this is the first civ where I enjoyed the city building part of the game. The puzzle aspect of it is really intricate and the whole thing is pretty fun just on a sim-city level.

17. Jabulani

Jabulani Warlord

I would wait at least the first 4-5 patches.... reading in this forum the AI seems to be been developed by a bunch of lobotomized creatures. Worth wating

18. JtW

JtW Prince

Please don't insult lobotomized creatures...

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Chieftain

Overall, I would say the Civ VI is a huge leap forward, so definately get it. Yes, there are issues, but those can be overlooked - and if you are able to do that, you get what is in my mind the most immersive Civilization experience since Civ II.

Great game.

20. anandus

anandus Errorist

The irony is the shine is definitely there. The music, the leaders, the graphics (even if you don't like the style, it is well done you have to admit), the details, etc.
    I would almost buy it for the music alone :p it is incredibly good.

Most issues are about three things:
    * The AI (not very smart)
    * The user interface (which is cumbersome, unclear and lacking info)
    * Balancing, especially speed/research

But apart from those things it's a very decent and enjoyable game. I'm having a lot of fun with it.