• Buy

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Build my own

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

CivEmperor

Warlord
do you buy or build your computer??:)

Buy right now. I'm trying to convince my wife (okay, and myself too) that I actually know enough about computers to build my own.

There are certain advantages to buying one. You get a warranty (every computer I've ever had had problems for the first two years or so) and someone to call (if you're lucky and don't have to wait forever) if there are problems on your machine.

There are advantages to building your own, like saving a few bucks (if you buy right) and getting exactly the system you want.

The only advantage I see to buying a system is the software packages they may include.

I always build my own system for the following reasons (but not limited to):
  • It is cheaper.
  • I can choose exactly what I want to install.
  • Upgrading is simple.
  • Full custimization of look, performance, and use.

I can build my own, but choose not to. The only annoying bit is connecting the power supply to the motherboard, but it's the compatibility between the different parts/components that get me...

All our computers at home (that we use) are either computers gifted to us (mom's work gave her a laptop for free, their priorities are odd:( ) or ones that we rent/have rented from Volvo. The ones from Volvo probably could've been much cheaper if we'd built them ourselves though.

I'll never buy a prebuilt system again. In my opinion, building your own the only way to go. Unless of course, your overall computer knowledge is low, in which case it is best to buy prebuilt for the tech support and warrranty.

The systems that I've built have been heads and tails above any that I've bought.

The system I've got now is my first one I've built myself, and I have to say it's way better than any pre built one. Even though I have had a few technical problems.

To me, the FIRST annoying bit is trying to get the d**m case open!

The pc's which I built (whilst working in a shop), had their cases already open, so I didn't encounter that problem :p
It's really annoying to open/close on my old old pc though...

The only annoying bit is connecting the power supply to the motherboard

I used to hate that on the old AT mobos... get it wrong and zap. It's easy now though.

Build, always.

build one and im not to sure about it
all i can say is caution

Buy it! I have a friend who had his dad build a computer for him and it shut down at random times. We called it "custom made action."

Speaking of buying or building...

Today I just bought myself a bunch of parts which will reach me in 2 or 3 days (bought off of newegg).

I bought the following items:
CPU P4 3.0 Ghz, 800 Mhz FSB, 478P/512k HT retail
Motherboard: Asus P4P800 Deluxe Springdale retail
RAM: Geil’s 512MB PC3200 Dual Channel DDR Kit (256x2)
Case: Antec server tower, PLUS1080AMG, Retail, w/ 430w PS

For a grand total of $625.99

Once this is all delivered I will have those items plus these in my system:
GEForce 3 Ti200 (it's old, yes, but I will upgrade this later)
Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy 2
Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 speakers
WD 100 GB hard drive
24x CD burner
16x DVD ROM
other miscellaneous crap

$625 seems quite all right, that's what you have to pay for a 'buy'-computer with half the RAM and half the speed here when no screen is included. You didn't mention a screen (but then again, a screen is not really a part of the computer...)?

build. so much cheaper.
i built this one for $AU1700. I have seen computers around for 2500 or more that are not as good as mine :)
*hugs his computer*

and it's better to have a knowledgable friend than tech support in my experience.

Buy.

I'm not techie enough to build a computer.

Top Bottom