Buy or Not To Buy??

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Helmet Head, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Helmet Head

Helmet Head Chieftain

Hi everyone,

Recently, I saw this game on a multiplayer baseball league I belong to. I have never played anything like this, but it looks very interesting. I am thinking about buying the game, but the only one they had at the store was 1-4. Should I buy that and start at the beginning?

Is this game fun and challenging?

I can't believe I'm in my forties and thinking about picking this game up. What is the average age out there playing the game? Am I the old man here......lol......?

Would you suggest I buy the game?

I would be buying the PC version for my laptop.

Thanks.

HH

2. Jedi_Otis

Jedi_Otis Diggin' the DarkSide

I'm 47 and it's right up my alley. I grew up playing the old Avalon Hill board wargames, and Civ IV is pretty much the cream of the crop for strategy gaming.

It is a very complex game with a steep learning curve, but there is a wealth of information on this sight to assist you. There are plenty of difficulty levels to make the game both fun and challenging at a level you're comfortable with.

And it's more addictive than crack.

I'd say buy it. It's a must have for anyone even remotely interested in strategy gaming.

3. -FC-Commando

-FC-Commando Warlord

Yeah. I started playing Civ1 15 years ago. Civ 2 was a heavenly revalation after 1. 3 is the Vista version. 4 should have been 3. It would be hard to start with 4 without any knowledge of the game mechanics or some expierience at all. So starting with 1 or at least 2 would be best.

BUY BUY BUY!!

4. Helmet Head

Helmet Head Chieftain

Thanks for the quicke answers.

I will take your advice and more than likely buy. I appreciate it.

HH

5. Breunor

Breunor Deity

I'm in my fifties. Its still great!

Best wishes,

Breunor

6. Matthew5117

Matthew5117 Emperor

7. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

I 'll be 50 this summer. We had a thread earlier this year about ages and I think there were two guys over 70.

I started with Avalon Hill board games also. I learned with Civ I , missed II, and have proceeded with III & IV .

I don't really know where a person should start ... Civ Rev?

8. Helmet Head

Helmet Head Chieftain

Not knowing any better, I think I might buy the four pack, which has CivRev in it. I think since this will be my first one, that would probably be a good place to start.

HH

9. Willem

Willem Deity

Don't bother with CivRev if you're going to be using a laptop, that's a console only game. Are you sure you're not confusing it with Colonization? The new complete version has that one as well. I don't see why they would be bundling a console game with a PC one. As for your age, I'm 52 so no you're not the old man here. Civ has been around for a long time now, it's developed a large and loyal following over the years.

10. Helmet Head

Helmet Head Chieftain

You are right. That was what I was talking about. Thanks for clarifying.

HH

11. Scoottr

Scoottr Prince

Just buy Civ 4, the rest are just older versions of the same game...old style graphics. I don't think you would get much out of playing Civ 1 then Civ 2, then Civ 3..just jump straight to Civ4. But buy the Complete so you get all the expansions. If that isn't available buy the original Civ 4 and then straight to BTS since it includes Warlords material short of some scenarios.

12. ston

ston Warlord

I'm 44 and really enjoy the game. The thing I'd like to mention is that it does require quite a bit of time to play a game of Civ compared to many other games.

13. Ramesses

Ramesses Ruler. Visionary. Pimp.

You all make me feel so young. Oh wait, 'cause I am.

Goin' on 21, b!%^#es!

14. Matthew5117

Matthew5117 Emperor

You all make me feel so young. Oh wait, 'cause I am.

Goin' on 15, b!%^#es!

15. Ramesses

Ramesses Ruler. Visionary. Pimp.

Pfft, what's so special about 15. You can't drive, you can't drink, you can't smoke, you can't gamble, you can't go to an R-rated movie by yourself, you can't go to a striI MEAN, uh, gentlemen's club :mischief:...

Anyway, enjoy your birthday dinner, I'm going out to party. :D

16. Matthew5117

Matthew5117 Emperor

Ahem. I just discovered, well, to keep it appropriate... actually, I can't think of a way to say this appropriately. Your just going to have to understand what I mean. ;)

Besides, am I taxed? Do I have to work? Do I have to pay rent or bills? :p

17. PreLynMax

PreLynMax Your Lord and Master

Ok, let's keep in topic, ladies.

I remember in Jr. High when I started to play Civ 1. I was hooked. I mean I completely hooked. And within the basics of Civ, I learned everything I need to know about Civilization from the original PC-DOS version.

That was 13 years ago.
    And a lot of ways Civ 4 has had some major improvements over it's original title. My 40 year old sister even plays this game. It's worth picking up and becoming a gaming junkie even at the ripe "old" age of 40. My point is, it has the sastifaction to draw the wisdom of any player. There are players much much older than you that plays this particular game regularly.

And if that 15 year old boy that is trying Civ 1 for the very first time knew that he would be stepping on a gold mine, he wouldn't have almost passed up on buying Civ 4 (yes, I almost missed out big time, but after putting the game back on the shelf five times, I picked it up the sixth time and bought it.

Edit: While your at it, you might as well get the Civ 4 Complete version that has the vanilla game AND both expansion packs PLUS the Colonization stand alone game as well. I need to focus on buying Colonization, since its the only one I haven't bought.

18. OldFartAtPlay

OldFartAtPlay Chieftain

Hiya

I'm 55, have just bought CivIV and have not played any previous Civilization game.

My take is that CivIV is very well suited to older players, because it is turn based and not real time. I don't actually enjoy the constant gnawing pressure of a real time game - even Sins of a Solar Empire, which although real time is glacially slow.

CivIV is like a board game (Risk, Chess, whatever) and you can take as long as you like to decide on your move. (OK competitive chess is against the clock but you know what I mean).

If you enjoy engaging your brains more than honing your reaction times, I think you are likely to enjoy CivIV. I'm still on my first game (6 hours so far) and I'm hooked already!

Cheers!

19. Helmet Head

Helmet Head Chieftain

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I bought the game and am slowly trying to figure out what I'm doing. I can already tell it's addicting.

Thanks again.

HH

20. Verision

Verision Chieftain

You old dudes give me hope for the future. I've been told a few times to "grow up and stop playing so many video games" (I'm 26). I hope I'm still playing video games when I'm 40+.