1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Buyer's Remorse

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by salty mud, Jun 3, 2020.

1. ShakaKhan

ShakaKhan King

Buyer's remorse? No. But similar feelings. I've had a great number of hours of enjoyment so I got my money's worth out of it. But that's just it: I got everything out of Civ6 that I'm going to and I'm done with it. My opinion on whether or not this is the best game in the franchise?- I feel it's the most developed entry in the franchise... As the years pass, the developers get more and more experienced at creating a higher quality product and the technology that fosters the potential for a better product gets more advanced as well. If you look at the quality of the product weighted against the development of the game and technology at the time of release. the best iteration of Civilization was Civ4 IMO.

Every few weeks I build up the interest to start a game, but never go past the renaissance era- I see where things are going, I know what to do, and it's just tedious hours and hours of going through the motions. And that's what led to that post that I got all the hate from regarding the 6 packs to collectively purchase the next expansion pack. I don't want another expansion pack; I don't want one or two new civs and a new little tweak to this or that mechanic of the game. I really want the next Civilization experience, which I guess would be Civ7. But before the development team scrambles to stitch a product together quickly and collect all of our money...

...I want them to stop and think. Collect data and feedback. What has worked for different games in the franchise? Ex. - Alpha Centauri may have only had 7 civilizations (factions) to choose from, but they each (or at least some of them) had civilization traits that led to each faction having a COMPLETELY different approach to the game: A Morganites game, a Gaia game, and a Hive game played out so differently from each other and, while there are a few generally more effective techniques to advance yourself, they led to drastically different experiences. What are areas of improvement that come up in most or all of the iterations of the franchise? Ex. - the late game. We like the replayability of the games of this franchise, but the one thing that hurts its replayability is how tedious the late game becomes, and moreso and moreso after having played the game through more and more times. They need to either find a way to close the gap between "inevitable game conclusion" and "achieved winning condition" OR find ways to develop the game so the late game is more immersive. What game elements become divisive in different iterations of the game? Ex. Tall vs. Wide. Civ4 was a wider=better game, Civ5 was tall and narrow, and Civ6 is back to wider=better. I'd really love to see a game where a Sun-Never-Sets empire of dozens and dozens of smaller cities is an equally viable strategy (or close to equal) as an efficient early settling of 4 Mega-metropolises. I could go on for pages and pages about my ideas for how to accomplish this, but to summarize, I think the key component is divorcing the empire's territorial borders from a cities border growth from culture (though culture doesn't necessarily have to be the yield that feeds city border growth) and what you can do with the tiles/hexes/real-estate outside of your cities' borders but inside of your national territory. Those tiles that you own but aren't part of one of your cities- use them for farms (which leads to food supporting population being a national accumulation to support everyone rather than a city supporting itself), or use them for markets, etc. City border growth is dictated by accumulation of some local yield (currently culture) while national controlled territory is expanded through some other method, either A.) some new civilian unit, or B.) the accumulation of a different yield. And I could go on and on about this but I don't want to stray too far off-topic.

So that's where I'm at. Buyer's Remorse? No. But I am satisfied with the experience that I've had with this iteration of the game and I'm ready for something different. And not some little tweaks to the current version of the game, but a new Civilization experience.

Thormodr, Ron West, Siptah and 2 others like this.
  2. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Emperor

But why not expand CIV6 even further? The game has such a strong foundation. It just needs a few more interesting things to do in mid/late game. CIV 7 would just reset the whole process again. Better wait for enhanced AIs before we do that ;)
    I also agree with you though. The season pass doesn't add the things I really want. New civs are nice-to-have but it's not enough to keep my interest in the long run. Let's hope Firaxis adds enough new game mechanics like the new district.

3. racha

racha Warlord

So far I've only got 5,090 hours out of Civ 6. Terrible game; very boring. :p

Thormodr, Turrdy, AsH2 and 5 others like this.
  4. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

Literally unplayable, you say? :lol:

5. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

No, but I have been thinking about going back to Civ IV.
    Granted, I have been thinking that for years now.
    Funny, I left Civ V when VI came out and never went back to V.
    I heard they fixed V with a mod or mods and the game is much better.
    I am too set on posting in the Civ VI section now.
    So I will probably just keep playing this game and trying to get faster with finish times.
    Civ VI is easy to win but hard for me to grasp every concept to finish faster.
    So that keeps me coming back and I like the community here on the forums.
    I do believe that when Civ VII comes out I won't play Civ VI again.

On another note I paid around 200 dollars for the complete version of EU4 awhile back.
    I played maybe 3 hours total.
    I have complete and utter buyers remorse for that game purchase.
    I would of bought Old World but it sort of reminds me of EU4 so I resisted the temptation.
    I have no plans of buying Humankind either.

6. tiamats4esgares

tiamats4esgares Warlord

No, it is one of my favorite and most played games of all time. Does it have flaws? Yes. But most games have many more flaws.

King Rad, Thormodr and Fluphen Azine like this.
  7. Palpster

Palpster Chieftain

Buyer's remorse? no

I've often started games but not finished them due to just getting bored with the the mid-to-late game. But the time I did spend with it was well worth what I paid for.

Thormodr and comatosedragon like this.
  8. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

I have buyers remorse from almost every single item I have purchased over the last 30-40 years.

I have 814 titles in my Steam Library. And I usually just stare at the list, going down each game and making a mental note of why I don't want to play it. So then I buy something new. And the cycle continues.

9. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Prince

No buyer's remorse, more remorse over how many hours I've spent on the game. From an economic standpoint though the game might as well be free as far as edutainment budget goes. I have en elementary school age child, and civ6, best so far in the series at this, sends us both on researching missions about the places and people we discover through playing civ.

10. Mahi

Mahi Prince

I guess I've spent about 110 euros on this game, not including the latest expansion. Civ 6 definetely has a price tag problem

11. SirWill90

SirWill90 Warlord

I wouldn’t say buyer’s remorse. I have over 2k hours and I did give in and get NFP, I would have felt like I was missing out over the next months of new content and the asking price didn’t seem that high for essentially multiple DLC over the next year or whatever.

I will say I am a bit disappointed with the late game after all this time... as many others have said it is just boring and/or too much like work for me after a certain point. I just stop playing around the time of biplanes for whatever reason, it’s not fun anymore and I take a break for a week or two then start a new game and it’s great... until about biplane time. Every once in a great while I play one to completion but I can’t remember the last time.

Also the World Congress is just goofy and annoying. Wish I could check a box and remove just that from the game while keeping the other added stuff.

Still holding out hope that eventually the game will be closer to the standard for holding one’s attention to the end that most of the other installments established. But no, I can’t truly say I regret buying the game or the DLCs.

Thormodr likes this.
  12. Chefofrats

Chefofrats Prince

I like the game so much I am actually considering buying it on my PS4, even though I have 1500 hours played on my computer :crazyeye:

Thormodr and Fluphen Azine like this.
  13. KayAU

KayAU King

No buyer's remorse here, I have had a lot of fun and a lot of hours played. :)

I do agree with most of the cricisms here, though. Civ VI is mechanically complicated, but there's a lot of stuff I just ignore, or barely pay attention to. There is too little interaction between the different systems. The late game is weak, and I really dislike the amount of chores I have to do and time I have to spend to get to the inevitable victory.

The World Congress gets mentioned a lot, and it is not undeserved. The implementation in Civ V was much better, even though that too was nothing special. For a really good version, I look to Alpha Centauri. The Planetary Council was great. Alpha Centauri also did agendas and diplomacy much better. And government policies.

GrumboMumbo, Thormodr, Elhoim and 3 others like this.
  14. Bactrian

Bactrian Chieftain

I've been critical of Civ VI but I've enjoyed playing it and have no regrets surrounding my purchases.

That being said, I've found myself increasingly frustrated by its shortcomings. I hope for the next iteration they will dedicate more development resources toward the AI, the UI, and making the interactions between game systems deeper.

GrumboMumbo, Thormodr and Elhoim like this.
  15. fsuscotsman

fsuscotsman Chieftain

With almost 5400 hours in I must love the game. BUT, I just got the New Frontiers Pack and EVERY mod I liked is broken. I feel like I just got my favorite dinner with too much salt!!

16. ShakaKhan

ShakaKhan King

AND UNIT UPGRADES!!!! It was so much more realistic, well not realistic- wrong word... Less-suspension-of-disbelief-breaking when a new technology allowed for a unit upgrade, so you paid to upgrade by simply taking the laser out of the units' hands and put a particle impacter in it. Sure this is all sci-fi, but it's still less immersion-breaking than having this knight transform into a tank. I struggle so much with that: "You guys, Sirs Huey, Louie, and Dewey- Dismount from your steeds, drop your 60 lbs. of plate mail armor, put your longswords and kite shields in recycling- Now put on these fatigues and hop in that canopy. Don't worry! Your skillsets are completely transferrable!" I mean, WHAT!?!?!

Having played Alpha Centauri, I never understood why civ never did this. Take the club out of the warrior's hands and put a sword in it. Yes, it becomes complicated with the mounted units converting to machine-operators, but I say they just go the way of the samarai which, btw is another reason to consider the melee line over the usually-better option of mounted units...

Good point, but I've played the game enough so that until they come up with a modification that I'll not look at a saved game in turn 140, load it, look to see that "I've already won, I just need to do X and Y and click next turn 50 more times and I've won... Or I can just start a new game... ... OK new game it is" I'm done with it.

Because to me, playing through the game is like dinner and the satisfied victory condition/entry into my personal HoF is like dessert. And (at least for my gaming appetite), I don't like not having dessert after the meal. :crazyeye:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2020
    KayAU and Elhoim like this.
  17. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

Civ 6 was crazy expensive so I waited more than 2 years to finally buy the 2 expansions at a somewhat acceptable price point. I can't complain that the game isn't deep enough, but I do have my fair share of complaints about the game, and about FXS not releasing the .dll. Even then the expansions added fantastic content but did little to fix the issues at the heart of 6.

what are you referencing here? I hadn*t heard of that

I feel like Civ 6 already has too many mechanics, so much content, so many options. Some of those (like Religion) don't even interact much with other mechanics.Making the mid and lategame more interesting could just be achieved my making the AI competitive, as you suggest. I feel like giving us more shiny toy content is the opposite of what this game needs. So I think on the season pass we agree.

18. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Not buyers remorse, but I'm definitely way more adamant of what's coming. Civ VI is the first one that makes me not want what the company has in store next. Actually, the first burn was BE which was like a full priced Civ V mod. This new pass is just the nail in the coffin for me.

At release it was quite good, and the expansions had potential, but the way they implemented new systems was not very cohesive, and at the end it feels like they've noticed that what really "sells" is new civs and wonders. So they just stuff the game with these type of content and doing a half-baked job on the systems, design and AI side. It's the first game I really can't play without modding the hell out of everything design-wise. I could rant on but I don't even think it's worth it. Thankfully, Humankind and Old World are more kind of my games, so I guess I'll become a "on sale" buyer of future civ products.

19. durfal

durfal The Dutch Daredevil

1200 hours for me and not a moment of regret like probably most people here.
    Since this is the civ 6 forum of the Civfanatics site, this must have been answer that you could have expected though.
    Personally I like 6 better then all it's predecessors but there are more fans who like V or IV better. And each there own though.

On the steam forum you could get another answer though, but there they give a game a bad review after playing 10 minutes or if they don't like how the left shoe on a character in chapter 10 of a game looks.
    But maybe they agree with you more then here. But glad that you enjoy playing Civ V and it's mods though.

Thormodr likes this.
  20. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

What I really enjoy is playing the game and sharing it on this Forum.
    Having this Public Forum to play and share the game makes it far more valuable.
    I find it very difficult to play Civ IV, V and VI and share them on the Forums.
    I can only focus on one iteration at a time but if this Forum didn't exist I would most likely only play Civ IV.
    I used to feel the same way about Multiplayer but I find that this Free Forum outweighs a few hundred dollars.
    However, I guess I have spent about 600 to 700 dollars since Civ III but that is over 19 years!!
    I know I pumped far more quarters into the arcades in the 80s and 90s.

yung.carl.jung and Thormodr like this.