1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Buyer's Remorse

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by salty mud, Jun 3, 2020.

1. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

I have to confess - I play Civ6 for time to time, because life. But I never get bored playing it nor regret buying it (nor regret buying the new Pass). It's my most played game on my Steam list. Thanks to the district system, there's always an opportunity to think ahead of what you want to lay out. For me, the different systems help me to be more invested in the game. I haven't played every civilization yet, so there's a lot to try out.

King Rad, Killer Rabbit and Thormodr like this.
  2. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I've got lots of enjoyment out of it, and it got a new lease of life when the virus forced me to take 2 months off earlier in the year. Games that take longer to play help stave off the boredom : )

3. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I definitely had it for Civilization 5. After spending probably 10,000 hours on previous iterations of the game, I put 125 hours into Civilization 5 but found it about as fun as getting slapped by a dead fish. I quit mid-game when I just couldn't stomach playing anymore. Definitely had buyer's remorse.

Civ VI, I have definitely got my money's worth. I have victories with 42 different civs and am still having fun. I think an Incan game next sounds good. Or perhaps another fling with my beloved Mapuche. :)

Anyway, to each their own. There isn't a one size fits all game. YMMV.

4. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

I think we need to also recognize the people who fall in between buyer's remorse and hardcore fans, like me.

Civ 6 is the only game I play because I am too busy in work and personal life to buy a system just for gaming. (If Humankind includes certain elements, a challenger might get added to the mix)

So in that sense, I always buy every new expansion, every new DLC that comes out.

However, at the same time, I agree with a lot of the sentiments being expressed. While I certainly don't have buyer's remorse, I also don't have the ungodly amount of logged hours of Civ 5, as Civ 6 is full of a lot of clutter, both in the Civs' uniques and the gameplay itself.

Balancing simplicity with complexity is no easy task, so I never spoke out against Civ 6 for this reason, as it is my absolute favorite game still. But since this thread keeps being brought up in various forms, there is no harm in recognizing the (perceived) flaws of the game

5. trev1972

trev1972 Warlord

Not really

Some things annoy me as ive mentioned on other threads, and i always think DLC is overpriced if honest

But i have clocked up 600 hours so i cant complain really.

6. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

I think Civ 6 is one of the cheapest forms of entertainment I have ever purchased, judging by the average spent per hour played.

King Rad and Socrates- like this.
  7. Swissy

Swissy Warlord

Over 10,000 hours, but I pretty much play online only. The AI is terrible, but the game system is good and human players challenging.

Mr Jon of Cheam likes this.
  8. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

QFT. This makes me legit sad as someone who used to pretty much buy everything from FXS automatically because I trusted them. I won't be buying either season pass or Civ 7 until I've had time to test them out. I simply (and literally) cannot afford a more than 100$ disappointment.

honestly, if it wasn't for this forum and its members I would not be playing Civ 6 at all. I "finished" Civ 6 about 100 hours in, because at that point it stopped being a game for me. I cannot lose anymore. the one thing that's fun is talking strategies and sharing write-ups with you guys.

even after putting 500 hours into Civ 6 I have never lost a game, have never seen the AI win. never had much trouble at war, or with religion, tourism, anything really. the AIs are just decoration to make you feel like you're playing a game, when really you're in a Sim-City like simulation.

9. The Highwayman

The Highwayman Prince

I hear what you're saying. I've found my own game within the game, which is why I spend a lot of my time in the strategy section to improve my game and really look forward to your posts as well as many others. I'm essentially playing against myself to see how efficient I can be by trying to win as fast as possible. This gives the game endless replay value. Sure the AI can wipe you very early with their 5 warriors and follow up units, but are incompetent at the mid to long game. They simply try and annoy the player by going after all the wonders, like a net 0 tile Chichen for example, and ridiculously forward settling horrendous cities instead of taking that brilliant location next to a natural wonder. When I finish a game I always review it to see where I could have trimmed the fat and improved my time. It's not for everyone - I understand those that wish to have the AI challenge them more and they get bored, but I try and make the most of it as is.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  10. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Not a single regret.

I understand that some people are much more strapped for money than I am, but I fail to see this as an expensive product. Not when compared to all other games on the market.
    I got 2400 hours of gaming with CIV V, am now at over 2000 hours on CIV VI. The only other game that compares to this kind of playing time and reusability was WOW many many years ago... and THAT one was $15 a month !!!

Apart from a few games like Witcher 3, most other games I've bought in the last 10 years gave me less than 100 hours of play, and cost pretty much the same as CIV VI.

So no... No regret ;-)

11. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

My current game has really soured me.
    The Maya is my neighbor and has only built Wonders and Districts for over 100 turns.
    So of course I am taking their cities.
    Why make Diety Level AI play like Prince?
    I've been soured 3 times with Civ VI now.
    When I first bought it I only played a few games before I shelved it till RF came out.
    Played it a bunch and when GS came out I bought it and shelved it soon after.
    I had a resurgence recently for the last 6 months or so.
    I didn't have buyers remorse till this thread came out and this current situation in this game.
    I think I am heading over to Civ IV or I have to go back to NQ MP.
    I still have to try some 50 turn games with Warrior x 3 though.

yung.carl.jung and Elhoim like this.
  12. Kriegsspieler

Kriegsspieler Chieftain

So here's my $0.02 on this:

In terms of money spent and hours played, I would definitely say that I have gotten my money's worth. But I am nonetheless very disappointed that the game hasn't actually gotten significantly better over its development. It's still ridiculously easy to win, no matter which victory you are going for, and I don't find that most of the civilizations are any more different than the attributes they bring to the table.
    So yes, I am happy with the money spent, but no, I will not be thirsting after Civ VII, whenever they decide to do it. There are now other 4X games out there that are leaving the Civ franchise far, far behind.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  13. BakouKai

BakouKai Chieftain

Got it for free on Epic. So can't say I regret. But I wouldn't have bought it otherwise (truth is I rarely buy games :/ Not convinced by their value...)

14. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

No remorse for me, I love this game. But I may have a little bit of buyer's remorse for Frontier pass. I'm not sure it's worth it. But maybe later dlc's will make up for this one. Doubtful I'll ever play apocalypse mode ever again after getting my last achievement (End of the World), and I already played each civ several times. What else is there? I will try to include them more as AI civs in the future, but for the moment, I will probably take a break from the game and finish my Netflix series (rewatching DS9).

15. glider1

glider1 Deity

I was a fanatic of Civ4 then enjoyed Civ5 with mods. Bought Civ6 played a few hours and realized that it lacks coherent emergent complexity in single player. Civ5 lacks it too but at least there are mods that make the AI better. I'm not regretting the purchase because eventually somebody will improve the AI after enough years have passed. However my allegiance to Firaxis is dropping like a stone especially looking at the latest DLC strategy which is just a throw together of bits and pieces milking the community for cash. Because of this, I'm sure they must be already working on Civ7 and using Civ6 to pay the bills. I worry that Civ7 will be a further decline but am glad there is competition appearing.

Elhoim and Civrinn like this.
  16. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I'm not a big PC gamer so in fact this is my biggest game I have for Steam. I don't have a lot because it runs on a laptop, which I guess is why II don't consider me being a big PC gamer. In fact this game is the reason I got a Steam Account.
    But no I don't have any remorse since my birthday was in October and I wanted it as my only present. If I had known it was going to come out for the Switch I would have bought it on that as well.

This makes me want to possibly go back and buy the complete version of Civ 4, I think it comes with Colonization too, to see what all the hype is about. :)

17. Kriegsspieler

Kriegsspieler Chieftain

Well, one of the most consequential decisions they made for Civ 6 was to make large parts (or all?) of the AI unmoddable. And since Firaxis shows scant interest in improving the game themselves in terms of the AI's performance -- witness the truly pathetic changelog in this regard -- we are unlikely to see further improvements by means of modding. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that's the situation.

What I also think is interesting now is how flat and lifeless Civ VI now feels without featuring either evolving leader personalities or events that shape the game narrative. One cannot really grasp how game-changing Crusader Kings II has been until you see how role-playing and events have been incorporated into Old World. Those will also apparently will be central in Humankind, although we can't be sure that the latter game, spanning the Stone Age to Space Age, won't suffer from the same AI-related shortcomings that Civ VI has.

Now, it may be that a good portion of the players of Civ VI won't like all those role-playing and personality-driven aspects of such games. But if there's a significant portion of people who share my feelings, then Firaxis faces a very, very big challenge to get off their butts and revive this franchise.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    glider1, Elhoim and yung.carl.jung like this.
  18. Falkman

Falkman Chieftain

This is my first Civ game. I've been somewhat interested in the series for some time but since I don't have a computer I've so far been unable to play them. When I heard about the PS4 port I bought it as soon as it released and have been playing at least a few times per week ever since. I must say I really love the game! As some have mentioned it can start to drag towards the modern era/end of the game, but I'm constantly learning new tricks and trying new civs so I'm having a lot of fun with it and definitely consider it a very good purchase.