1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Civ III Vanilla - No Patches

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by baggyred, Jan 30, 2012.

1. baggyred

baggyred Chieftain

Hi All - So after finally giving up on my old scratched CivIII disc - i figured I may as well buy and download Civ III so I can start playing again.

The only problem is - I like playing with the Multi cheat, that allows me to see the world.

I appreciate the purists don't like it - but that's how I enjoy the game.

My concern if I download the game from an online store, that it will be all up to the latest patches - and hence the Multi cheat removed.

Anyone got a suggestion for where I might be able to find the original vanilla version.

Thanks All

2. Raliuven

Raliuven Emperor

Not sure where you are from, but if you are in the US then try some place like target etc. They sometimes roll out CivIII Vanilla on the cheap rack - or a game trading store like Gamestop.

But ebay is probably your best bet. As an aside, I just came across (and purchased) a copy of CivII TOT in a used book store. You never know. :crazyeye:

I personally hate the new method of having to download things from a server. I purchased the game, I want thet cd. I am completely with you (not about seeing the map pre-game, however. But to each their own)!

3. vmxa

vmxa Deity

Not sure what the multi cheat is, but if it is Debug mode, being patched has no effect.

4. baggyred

baggyred Chieftain

The multi cheat is one whereby you could save your game with "multi" in any part of the name - and when you re-loaded it you could see the world.

So first turn you could save it as Romanstartmulti.sav and when you loaded the game - voila - the world was there.

I haven't played in ages but i think patch 1.19 removed the cheat. or perhaps 1.21

I'm in australia - so i'll just have to keep my eye out - i've desperately buffed and shined my Civ disc with no luck!!

5. vmxa

vmxa Deity

Hum don't remember that nor even hearing about it. Debug mode lets you see all the map all the time. A real pain, but was useful to learn what the AI liked to do back in the begining. I do not even remember reading about it in any patch notes.

6. MarkK

MarkK Chieftain

Pay Sid the 8 bucks for original and forget about it. It's certainly worth 8 bucks. I'd rather have a disk over a download anyday. You Get What You Pay For.

7. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

Agree. That's one of the things that totally turned me off CivV. I really like it better with just the disk.

You can get vanilla or C3C on Amazon for very little money.

8. baggyred

baggyred Chieftain

Great Success!!

I was getting important info off an old laptop and noticed I had Civ 3 installed on it.

I threw the scratched disk in and the bloody thing works.

Sure it takes me 5 minutes to load the game up - but once it's running it is pretty good.

Giddyup - haven't played in yonks - gonna smash it tonight!!!!!

Edit: Just as an aside - who or what is Sid?

9. vmxa

vmxa Deity

Sid is the guy who created civilization years ago. In Conquest it is the highest dificulty level.

10. MysteryX

MysteryX Warlord

If you do get PTW or C3C, there's another way you can see your world map. Just generate your random map in the editor, save it, and load it as your game. You will have fog of war in game, but if you want to take a peek at the terrain, you just need to pull up the map in the editor.