1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Gods & Kings?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Musketeer935, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Musketeer935

Musketeer935 AoEIII Fan

Okay, I have Civilization V on Steam already -- I bought the Game of the Year addition awhile back.

I've got into playing the game again recently and was looking into buying Gods and Kings, and found myself confused:

A is obviously the complete game -- Vanilla, Gods and Kings, and all other DLC. $50.

C is the Gods and Kings expansion, which is what I don't have, and would like. It's $30 though..

and B looks like an upgrade from Vanilla to the Gold Edition for $20? If so, why would I spend $30 on Gods and Kings if the upgrade to Gold, which includes G&K, costs $20? This upgrade worries me because it has NO descriptions...

Also, are retail games Steam codes -- if I would buy Gods and Kings from amazon, where it's $20, would that work with my Steam version?

And finally, are there DLC other than Gods & Kings that come with the Gold Edition but not the GOTY? (i.e. is there I reason the Gold upgrade would be better than purchasing from amazon?)

2. Loucypher

Loucypher King

Get yourself the Gold Edition Upgrade. The Gold Edition has ALL the DLC - And I do mean ALL of it. Gods & Kings on its own does not have that, leaving you out of Babylon, Incas, Denmark, Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World, and a few minor things.
    So long story short: Get the Upgrade.

3. geolawyerman

geolawyerman Chieftain

I'm also curious about this. Does anyone know the answer?

4. iconocast

iconocast Prince

gods and kings is great but tbh all the dlc is worth it. especialy the ancient wonders pack

5. Sid Simelia

Sid Simelia Warlord

I bought the DLC and G+K seperately from Amazon when it was on sale.. They just give you an activation code for Steam. All the content works through Steam.

6. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

As long as it's the Steam version (there's a Steam-less version for Mac, everything else is with Steam), then they should be compatible.

7. Vamphaery

Vamphaery Chieftain

I recommend the Gold upgrade if you're planning to buy Gods and Kings and already own the game on Steam. Better deal.

8. jddods

jddods Prince

I like you had GOTY edition, brought it at EB games about this time this year.
    When G&K came I wasn't to worried about getting it right away.
    But started reading on here all the good stuff and then after reading that I could get other civ UU's from CS's but finding out it didn't work in Vanilla that was the tipping point.
    Downloaded GnK from steam and never looked back best decision ever. But I later discoverd I needed the Wonders of the Ancient World to get some cool wonders and I didn't have Korea from GOTY ed or GnK so paid for them.

So get the Gold Ed upgrade.