1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

by Darryl Cooper

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Berzerker, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

This was originally a series of tweets but Glenn Greenwald has it on his site

https://outsidevoices.substack.com/p/author-of-the-mega-viral-thread-on

Its a long read about MAGA and why many people dont trust the election. I dont know how much I can post w/o violating copyright so I'll go with a small sample:

That was the Russian woman who showed up at Trump Tower to talk about adoption.

I forgot about Simpson and Veselnistkaya, Fusion did set up the Tower meeting. The Democrats found out their emails would be published so they fabricated the Russian-Trump collusion story leading to 2 impeachments.

2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Why the hell are we still talking about Trump. He's eating spaghetti in some dark room in Florida yapping about how amazing he is and how he has the best socks in the world. Let him just rot away wherever the hell he is and let's focus on things that actually matter, like why tea is sold without teabags for instance, which seems like a gross oversight

Sofista and thetrooper like this.
  3. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Easy solution is to drink coffee.

Just regular coffee mind you, not hipsterchinos.

amadeus and warpus like this.
  4. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Cafe au lait works too.

5. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Pardon your French.

6. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Birdjaguar likes this.
  7. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Hall Monitor Super Moderator

I am struggling with a thread where the OP is nothing but misleading and false information. How can this thread provide intelligent discourse and not devolve into a fight?

8. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Assuming that ^ was in non-moderator mode.
    I am struggling with a system where the news is nothing but misleading and false information. How can this system provide intelligent discourse and not devolve into a fight?
    If it was in moderator mode then I totally agree.

9. amadeus

amadeus Arm is normal. I am not.

I can’t promise anything intelligent, but here goes!

How many of the people that respond to polls asking if the election was “fraudulent” sincerely believe that, or are just victims of cognitive biases? Maybe they want to seem like they’re informed, which sounds odd considering that no informed person would posit that the election was illegitimate; however, within their own contexts it makes sense to say they think that because the idea was put forward in the first place and answering “no” makes it sound like they haven’t been paying attention.

Or they could be sore losers and just going to whatever excuse is the most expedient. Probably a lot of these folks in there too since Trump was such a “revolutionary” figure—I mean in that he wasn’t a career politician, spoke brashly, and didn’t publicly conform to the social norms of elected officials. If Mitt Romney had won instead of Trump in 2016, would anyone be clinging to this guy? Romney had all the personality of a potato, whereas Trump, love him or hate him, was a charismatic figure.

I don’t know! :)

10. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I'm surprised anybody took that article seriously.
    Firstly, it came from Luke Harding who has a questionable relation to the truth, who a couple years ago basically made-up whole cloth a false story about Julian Assange. I believe it was that Nigel Farage was the cut-out between the Trump campaign and Wikileaks and that Farage would meet with Assange in the Ecuadorian Embassy.

Second, Harding says that western intelligence is aware of the documents and has examined them, but importantly makes no comments as to whether western intelligence thinks the documents are accurate. He then cites unnamed "experts" who say the documents are accurate because of undefined "incidental details" (written in russian?) and for the "experts" the documents are sufficiently truthy.

Third, the excerpts from the alleged reports are very short - only a few words at a time with no context for where the words show up. For example:
    Is "mentally unstable" in reference to Trump actually mentioned in the alleged report? It isn't a particularly clear citation. If it is in the report, is Trump being "mentally unstable" the opinion of the Russian security services, or are they just reporting what rumors and gossip are saying? These are things that would have been resolved if Harding had properly presented the report.

Fourth, and this is related to the length of the excerpts, Harding felt secure enough to put up a picture from the alleged report - that looks like it was run through a photoshop filter to give it that Cold War typewriter feel - but did not provide the text of the report in either Russian or English for the reader to read for themselves. He isn't trying to hide what the report number and identification is - he gave plenty of identifying information - so why not provide the whole text? Without the typed text of the only excerpt that was provided, I would have to transcribe it character by character into Google Translate. Perhaps @red_elk or @Gelion could translate this for us?

Fifth, as far as I can tell nobody else was reporting on this, or even repeating the Guardian's reporting. BBC certainly didn't do anything with it. Either other major news desks are asleep at the wheel, or they took one look at Harding's reporting and said "pass". If the documents are true, then the Guardian reported them in a terrible manner completely unbefitting the severity of what is alleged.

Berzerker and Angst like this.
  11. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

From your link:

Translation: the Democrats will do the rest for us

I thought they were grooming him since the 80s?

Your article doesn't mention Trump colluding with Russia

Identifying the misleading and false information would be a start

12. red_elk

red_elk Deity

It was mentioned in Euronews
    https://ru.euronews.com/2021/07/15/ru-guardian-putin-trump

"... proceeding from the fact that the main and most promising candidate for the presidency of the United States from the Republican Party is Donald Trump, whose personal characteristics characterize him as a mentally unstable , impulsive , unbalanced person with an inferiority complex , actually adhering to conservative views, and also taking into account some of the events that took place during his stay on the territory of the Russian Federation, it is possible to say that within the framework of the current situation it is imperative to do all we can to promote his election to the post of US president . "

Ziggy Stardust, Gelion and Ajidica like this.
  13. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Feel free to jump into any of the Trump threads with that complaint, this is about the people who dont trust the election results and why. Read what Cooper wrote about them.

14. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Get one of those metal tea clamps. Then you get to drink tastier tea.

15. Birdjaguar

Those folks are all idiots who have been led astray by the Liar in Chief and his enablers. Trump started preaching about a "rigged election" months before November to set the stage for his loss and his rejection of that overwhelming loss.

Lexicus and Ziggy Stardust like this.
  16. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I think they believe the election was rigged because of the reasons cited by Darryl Cooper, things like Obama's FBI using Clinton campaign bs to spy on Trump. Kinda set the tone for how far the Democrats would go to win.

17. amadeus

amadeus Arm is normal. I am not.

Fun fact for @Ajidica — the Russian FSB does use more typewriters now since they can be used to identify who wrote what and can’t be hacked like a computer. :)

mitsho likes this.
  18. Birdjaguar

He is just making stuff up to hide the truth. They believe the election was rigged because Trump and his cronies told them it was, nothing more.

19. red_elk

red_elk Deity

The scan looks more like an imitation of old newspaper though. The "torn" bottom line is cute.
    Authors probably realized that typewriter font would look too ridiculous.

20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

There's still people who "don't trust the election results"? Lol

20 years from now there's going to be people walking around downtown with signs that say "TRUMP IS MY PREZ", yelling about the end of the world

Birdjaguar likes this.