By Land and Sea - Ocean Colonies for BE

I love the mod and appreciate your hard work and thought that went into it, Kudos!

Any possibility of seeding the oceans with other resources besides petroleum, reefs and algae? Perhaps hydrothermal vents ("smokers") or other minerals? As noted, there are plenty of food and energy sources already but some that are unique to the oceans would be really cool.

Sadly I don't have the artistic ability to implement anything like that. I work hard to make the best mods I can within my means, but I'd be open for collaboration in the future as well if any talented artists would be willing to work with me.

The Hydronursery and Floating Yard can be built in Ocean and Coastal Cities, while the Deep-Sea Lab and Solarium are limited only to Ocean Colonies.

- The mod renames Coastal tiles to "Ocean" and adapts all bodies of water to this single tile. This was done for the sake of both resource balance as well as technical workarounds to make Ocean Colonies fully fleshed out. Reintroducing the distinction between Coastal and Deep-Ocean tiles is not in the cards at the moment.
Wait...these seem contradictory. If ocean and coast were joined into one tile, how can cities on coast and ocean have different buildings available to them?

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Also I'm so god damned excited. It's like seeing a professional team do everything you wanted but couldn't do. Making the game you wanted without being hamstrung by the innate limitations with the SDK. Whooooo hoo hoo.

This mod is great, in addition to Stargate sponsor, I can now settle Atlantis in the sea next to it.. just that on any map, even with "legendary start" option, there isn't all that much resources in oceans, apart from VERY occasional Algae and even rarer petroleum, so ocean colonies are pretty helpless till you develop technologies for your awesome floating improvements, having just 1 or 2(at best, if you're lucky with map) "resources" in your working radius.

For some reason when I settled a city with just 1 tile of ocean "coast" between the city and land, that city was COMPLETELY excluded from list of available trade routes - meaning that nor I, nor AI was able to establish a trade route to it, or from it (yes, it had 0/2 trade routes when I tried).

My glorious floating city of Atlantis... just that it would probably look better if I went Supremacy, or if buildings actually had some pontones and not just grow out of the water itself.... still, production and food problem solved by every single coastal city channeling resources to Atlantis, she probably grew to around 30+ by the time I finished exterminating the vermin on the map, but I fool forgot to look at it.. and even though ocean cities start with really low strength, by the time I was finishing she had about 190+ since I placed every wonder I built in there, I had to make sure she can take an army.. though floating cities are really hard to capture since you need to get a melee unit there (for Purity it's easy, just sending the basic Rover once it gets LEV, but I can't imagine trying to float there embarked with city and it's defensive satellite carving holes in you...)
That game took forever because Japanese (mod civ) covered entire pangea and even half the ocean with city on city.. I spent whole afternoon just cleaning up after him.. this screen is after I finally exterminated him (I had 5 cities total, the rest of the white dots are all his cities (or those he conquered before I declared war, and I even burned down half of them). Still, wonder where that hate came from. Probably because I can't stand seeing Harmony japanese.. Japan has to go SUPREMACY! maaan..

Why? For the glory of Satan of course

- just, yeah, as people can see, there's not much resources in the seas.. mostly you're super lucky to find 2 within the workable city radius

That's not a bug with the mod, it's a bug in the I modded game. Relaunch beyond earth and it should be ok. Also, I highly doubt this mod is still being supported

Top Bottom